Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

David Hazeltine- Smoke gets in your eyes w/Carter & Foster

Dave Ferris

A great arrangement and of course stellar playing on this new Trio recording of David's.

Love the groove, the sound of the piano on the recording and his changes. I'm a big fan of his playing, arrangements and overall concept. Great to see the two Legends - Ron Carter and Al Foster- as well. :cool:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he has a multitude of CDs under his name and as a sideman for others. I think he's the most recorded Jazz pianist of the last 20-25 years. His work is always of the highest standard and stays true to the Art form. :cool:

His "realbook" has been on my "should get" list for some time now. Only so many hours to work on different stuff...and at 65 so less energy to put in the marathon hours like 20 to 30 years ago. ;):cry:

Just came across this: The Real Book-Enhanced Chord Edition by David Hazeltine.

Had not heard of it 'till now. Sounds like a must get!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Me too. For 20 bucks I couldn't resist. Why do I get the feeling that my interpretation of SGIYE won't sound exactly like the vid?

Why? Easy. Because of the voicings and voice leading, which are basically one thing.

I know a teacher who charges an arm and a leg for this kind of knowledge, but I am very clear that voicing and voice leading are the main reason why. Rhythm in comping is another element.

Seems kind of incongruous for a student jazz musician to pay large sum of money in education, to be a hungry often barely employed jazz musician. On the other end, I cannot blame this jazz musician teacher for charging a high price, because 1. He IS a jazz musician, and 2. His knowledge is not easily found... supply and demand.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived