Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Finale users: favorite lead sheet format

cedar

I use Finale intermittently to create lead sheets. Just out of laziness, I suppose, I just use the default "lead sheet" template. But never been completely satisfied with the chord fonts and appearance in general.

So this is my question: for those of you creating lead sheets, do you rely on the template as is, or do you modify it in any particular way? And do you have a favorite font for chords?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never used the lead sheet template. I just make a blank project with the setup wizard. Add a piano single staff, erase the label, write the notes, and use the chord tool to add in the chords. I just go with the "Engraved" font in the setup wizard. I don't like the "Handwritten" font.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm an anti-fan of the Broadway and Jazz fonts; the pseudo-handwritten stuff seems pretentious in its own way, and is less legible than the Finale or Engraver fonts.

As my eyes have aged, I've found it harder to read music at regular sizes from a music-stand distance. I'll often scale it up to 150% or so.

Nowadays, crib sheets are done in a word processor (LibreOffice): lyrics (24 point Roman font) with chord symbols (sans-serif bold) above the words as needed. If I need to play a particular accompaniment passage verbatim, I write it in Finale and then cut-and-paste the relevant system of measures into the word-processed document, using the Windows Snipping tool.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Archived