Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pickup repair

picker

I have a Fender strat style single coil that has at least one obvious problem. The coil wire that is soldered to the black wire is broken off about a quarter inch from the solder joint. It seems to me that if a person were careful, they could unwind a turn off the coil and resolder the lead. any advice from the tech element?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never did this but think it may be better to flow some solder from the joint to the wire. That's what I would do rather than unwind, easier solution.

There may be some kind of other material or wax potting in the wiring so moving things around could cause a break trashing the p/u IMO.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

+1 Bartholomew on the wax issue and solder flow idea. I was thinking along the same lines even though I'm not a techie. It takes a special machine and a bit of time to rewind a pickup and probably too expensive unless you have an expensive Strat to start with, to be worthwhile. I thought of running a short jumper wire to solder the thin wire to. Then a different thought came to mind. Why not just buy a new or used replacement pickup? Allparts has cheapies from $12 to $40 bucks that look stock. Or, maybe a good time to try something new like a humbucker rail... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I guess fixing a piece of junk I have laying around the house is probably kinda silly when I could get a full set of overwound GFS pickups for $14, but it just seems like a shame to just chuck it. I'm pretty sure it's a Fender pickup, probably a Mexican, so it's not junk. Well, not exactly, anyway. I don't even have a guitar that uses that kind of p/up to put it in right now. I'm curious about repair because it just seems like a waste to trash it, that's all.

Sorry Picker, I thought you were trying to get one of your guitars working. A guy on another forum just posted this video a couple of days ago. I found it pretty interesting on how a pickup can be rewound and the tech issues. If a guy or gal had a favorite guitar, it might be worth doing:

[video:youtube]

I was thinking of this video when I read Bartholomew's post...

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

The break is plainly visible, and I could flow solder onto the two ends pretty easily. When I put a multimeter on the finish lead and the broken end, I don't get a reading. I figured it was because the wire is coated, but maybe it's because there is a further break inside the coil? If I solder the broken ends together, should I get a multimeter reading at the terminal ends?

In the video I posted, the guy took his readings and found the low reading on the middle pickup and determined that it would need rewinding. The readings were taken while the pickup was installed using the 3way and completed circuits to discover the problem. Doing it on the pickup alone outside the circuit was not covered...here's one that does. It might help and there are quite a few others that show what the readings should be:

[video:youtube]

I'm guessing hot solder would melt any wax coating and you would get a reading if you went with the solder flow idea...just a guess though as you still might not get a good reading. The guy in this video says just touching the wire with your finger will throw it off a little...anyway, have fun with it! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived