Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Album of 2004

By a LIGHT YEAR: Dilated Peoples "Neighborhood Watch." MAN! I haven't heard anything this inspiring since Grandmaster Flash.

Give it a listen. Buy a copy. It's one of the few totally-packed CDs I have that I regret coming to the end of, every time, wishing there were more.

WOW.

Enjoy! :thu:

rt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can listen to their jukbox Here

Realtrance,

What's turning you on about this? Maybe I listened to the wrong tracks, but it pretty much sounds like the same Rap I've been hearing for years.

More or less the same beat, same subject matter, same sound.

If we're talking 'Album of the year' stuff already....I'm putting my vote in for "Comfort Woman" by Meshell N'Degeocello.

Go HERE and click on 'Audio'.

Her sense of the 'groove' is amazing. And she plays bass like mutha!

PLUS, you can get an autographed CD for 12 bucks!!!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I had to look at my watch for a sec...half past April hehe

Meshell rocks for sure...thanks for the tip on your thing rt - I'm not a hard core rap guy but I listen to most stuff if it moves me - I'll check it out... :thu:

Super 8,

I can't really break it down, as it's no one thing. Van Morrison's latest isn't anything "new," either, but it's also great.

I just like the way it all comes together, the spirit of it, the drive, the rhythm, the scratching, the improvisations, the musicality (yes), the progression of songs on the album. There's a clarity and simplicity to it I find refreshing.

For contrast, I also like Cypress Hill's "'Til Death Do Us Part," but that one really doesn't click anywhere near as well, doesn't do the dramatic "pirates smokin' weed" thing CH is unsurpassable at when they're in their groove.

Help at all?

rt

Just starting a thread with this title this early in the year conjures images that it's going to be one of those awful 'ibiza anthems' disks entitled the BESTEST album of XXXX EVER!!!! that comes out the Xmas just before year XXXX actually begins?! :P

Somehow doubt I'm going to agree that a rap album is going to be the best of the year, but I'll have a listen to these suggestions... :)

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

According to the Grammy voters, a rap album was the best of last year. Why not this year?

I decided to buy this album after hearing only two tracks. For someone who's not into rap it might sound like everything else, but I think a lot of people will disagree and will hear some inspiration in this CD.

Originally posted by realtrance:

By a LIGHT YEAR: Dilated Peoples "Neighborhood Watch." MAN! I haven't heard anything this inspiring since Grandmaster Flash.

Give it a listen. Buy a copy. It's one of the few totally-packed CDs I have that I regret coming to the end of, every time, wishing there were more.

WOW.

Enjoy! :thu:

rt

Glad you enjoyed the recommendation ! :thu:

the new dilated is definitely ill but its not the best album of the year. theres just no way. have you heard the new prozack or the new ghostface? the new talib, the new brother ali the new murs with 9th wonder? all of these albums compete very easily with the watch and i personaly feel that prozacks is at the top of the list. and as far as people saying it sounds like the same rap, you dont listen to or know good hip hop so dont post about it. i wont post about country music.
Hip Hop is Future. Every generation breeds a new musical style and like it or not, Hip Hop is now.

Originally posted by fluxONE:

and as far as people saying it sounds like the same rap, you dont listen to or know good hip hop so dont post about it. i wont post about country music.

I'll post about whatever I please, Flux.

Hip Hop is NOT some 'untouchable' artform that is above commentary. It's just another genre of music, like everything else. And like other popular forms of music, it suffers from way too much commercialization, and too damn many 'artists' getting involved in it for all the wrong reasons.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

when you say that dilated peoples sounds like the same old rap then im sorry but you dont know what your talking about. when someone doesnt know what they are talking about, in my opinion, they should refrain from speaking on it.
Hip Hop is Future. Every generation breeds a new musical style and like it or not, Hip Hop is now.

I'm really eager to check out what The Roots have up their sleeve with The Tipping Point. They just keep getting better and better. Also, Medeski Martin & Wood have a new one coming out produced by Dust Brother John King (Odelay, Paul's Boutique).

Can't we all just get along? No need to be hostile, people... we're entitled to our opinions, and I know Super 8 is a good enough musician to be able to back up his views. I haven't heard the new dilated release, so I won't comment.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Not that AMG critics are the true voice of reason or anything, but . . . .

"Not that rappers Evidence and Rakaa ever have to coast on their productions, but the strength of Dilated Peoples since their debut has been the beats, not the rhymes. When the productions of the Alchemist or Babu or Evidence are flying, records like "Work the Angles" or The Platform have followed suit and allowed the group to grow steadily as lyricists. But just as DP have crested as a strong group of community-minded artists, the productions failed them. Most of the blame for Neighborhood Watch has to go to the previously invincible Alchemist, whose productions are front-loaded on the record. Unfortunately, his beats aren't rugged or hooky, just astonishingly weak, even on the trailer single and opener, "Marathon," driven by a sharp but played-out bass line that just won't stop banging. Only Evidence's "Who's Who" and Babu's posse track, "Closed Session" (featuring Defari, Phil da Agony, and Planet Asia), reach the level of past Dilated Peoples tracks. On the lyrical side, the trio continues to improve, using the title track to explore how life in an active neighborhood can cycle between vigilance and paranoia, and outlining on "Poisonous" (featuring Devin the Dude) the perils of a girl with complications. Producer of the moment Kanye West stops by for the player-life exposé "This Way," and true to form, a weak production sinks the solid rapping. John Bush"

Amateur Hack

Archived