Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Model D and Deep Mind 12

MikeT156

I never gave much thought to Behringer equipment over the years. It seemed to be cheap and the sound didn't do much for me. Lately I've listened to both of the above models and they sound pretty good.

Anyone own any of these models? I'm wondering if their quality has improved any and if they're worth buying. Your thoughts?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently bought a Neutron (another recent synth from Behringer). So far, build quality is excellent - solid. Sound is very good as well. Nothing to complain about for sure. I am interested in a Model D as well. Given my experience with the Neutron, I would be very comfortable making that purchase.

I laid hands on a Behringer Model D a few days ago. I checked out the Deep Mind a while ago.

It is almost scary how good those instruments sound especially considering their price.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Behringer is getting away with it. :confused::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I was concerned about the quality. I remember reading awhile back the the keyboard action was cheesy and the overall quality was poor. Nothing worse than cheesy action and lousy Pots.

Those kind of problems were not an issue with the Mini Moog, but that was a quality instrument at 4 or 5 times the price.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Despite their price, both the Model D and Deep Mind felt pretty solid to me. Customers would know better. Again, it's scary. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The only problem I recall with the action was very early runs of the Deepmind, which has since been resolved. They also sent out instructions on how to adjust it. It was an assembly issue and resulted in not all the keys being level as I recall. But again, that was an initial run and was resolved very early on.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Behringer seems to have changed quite a bit, or at least some of their gear has. My audio interface is a UMC404hd and it has worked without a hiccup for almost 2 years...sounds good, low noise, low latency, 4 ins/outs and midi ports for 80 bucks is just silly.

I wish they'd make a clonewheel :)

I was concerned about the quality. I remember reading awhile back the the keyboard action was cheesy and the overall quality was poor.

Mike T.

Action is very similar to my XP-80 - which is set up next to my DM12 at the moment. It's not quite as snappy, but it has the same semi-weighted feel that gives me consistent velocity responses when I move my fingers into the action. This is not always the case even on keyboards that cost several times more.

Sliders have a silky feel but wobble from side to side. I'd say the wobble is about on par with the sliders on a PX-5s. They track accurately, but the wobble bothers some.

There have been reports of screen burnout from those who leave theirs on all the time. I turn my keyboards off when I'm done, so have had no issues.

Even with all it's quirks (which we've discussed extensively in other threads) I'd say that the DM12 is a thoroughly professional synthesizer - at a price that's barely more than glorified toys like Roland Boutiques. If I were still gigging regularly, I'd have no problems including it in my rig.

Deepmind 12 had a good sound.

I returned mine only because it would jump up an octave while playing it over a period of time.

But I burn in new gear for at least 36 hours, checking the PSU and playing it as much as possible.

I had the 1st one Sweetwater shipped. So hopefully my discovery led to them checking out thier transpose function proximity, or top solder point.

I still have a Behringer BCF2000/BCR2000 and its an excellent set up for programming, editing or recording.

I look at Behringer like I do ASRock.

They sold the cheapest made gear since the consumer market is where targets for ROI are.

Once they reached their target, new designs were forthcoming.

ASRockRack has the very best Workstation motherboards and their Gaming/Overclocking Desktop motherboards have led the markets for years now.

First guys to have NVMe, and still the only manufacturer Im aware of with triple NVMe M.2 slots.

Just saying, I think theyre doing pretty good since the acquisition of MIDAS.

The X25 Rack is what every drummer I run in to uses.

Some bands even use it but the FX are no gems.

Im skipping over the Moog One since Im pretty content with a dual OSC Code 8.

But damn that sucker sounds like an old PolyMoog or Memoery Moog.

Uli B. will eventually step up the game.

As we write he is hiring the very best talent in software and hardware design, particularly FPGA and DSP Programmers.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I got a Behringer Model D a couple of weeks ago. While i would have designed it with a slightly bigger panel and knobs, the build quality seems excellent, and the sound is absolutely there.

These days I also happen to have a 'real' Minimoog at my place (not mine, unfortunately...) with the old bank of oscillators, and that sounds fantastic; the Boog is just a bit more "straight" (it drifts less on a moment-by-moment basis), but the sound itself is very, very close. I'd say that it sounds more like a real Mini than my SE-1 from the 90s. (of course, the SE-1 has patch memory, 4 envelopes, 3 lfos, sync, ring mod, etc. etc.....)

I've never played a read Model D, but at $300 it was hard to pass up the Behringer. I haven't gigged with it yet, but have had a blast with it at home. It's very nice. I haven't noticed anything that would make me question the quality. On a side note I've been using a Behringer rack mixer for going on 10 years now and never had a single issue.

I've been using a Behringer rack mixer for going on 10 years now and never had a single issue.

You made me remember that I have used a Behringer 32-channel mixer at home for more than 10 years, and *that* was a real dog. I think that over the years, I made five or six trips to the tech. And yes, I did keep it protected from dust.

I have a DM12 and a Neutron. Sold the Boog Model D to a friend as it was redundant for me. I think what you are getting for the money in all 3 cases is insane.

The DM12 is a much deeper instrument than I thought when I got it (insanely cheaply).

I have not spent a TON of time on it, but it is pretty capable even if most of the presets are not for me.

Someone did a good video called DeepMind vs. Juno 60 or something similar. Maybe it was a 106? My Rolandese is rusty. He went through the instruments section by section and showed how to closely emulate the Roland. The DM has way, way more modulation capabilities, but that makes a good starting point and is well worth watching if you are considering the DM.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I remember quite a number of years ago when the early Behringer compressors were quite well thought of. They then went through, according to some people, an iffy period but I've got an old 16 channel mixer and a couple of their Intelligates that have performed admirably over the years. Also got a couple of their Eurorack RX1602 mixers that have also given good service.

Bought the Model D a few months ago and love it. I used to own a Minimoog, ARP 2600, OBxa, P5, JX-10 and the rest so have a good idea what analogue should sound like and this little box is a killer. I've spent more in a decent restaurant. Currently got it hooked up to a Seaboard 49 which lets me use aftertouch for the modulation, with great control over pitch bend.

I have one friend who is spitting feathers about Behringer and their range of classic synths, but who happily uses Arturia Moog VIs. I'll happily stay away from the myriad of arguments that have been going on, and look forward with quite a bit of excitement to the next wave of Behringer synths.

So many drummers, so little time.

I can't speak to the Deepmind, but I have a Behringer D. The build quality is about 50% better than I expected (and how often can you say that?) and the sound has a lovely, organic flow to it that is positively sensual, like aural foreplay.

Caveats:

--I don't gig with it, so I don't know how well it will take being bashed around.

--The layout is smaller and tighter that I would like. If it was up to me, I'd have designed the booger for a full 19" rack width and used the extra space to put in bigger knobs.

Still, I got mine at 17% off, so roughly $250. Where are you going to find that much fun for that price?

I hate to admit it, but the Deepmind's "sound" is growing on me and I might have to consider getting one, whether desktop or actual keyboard. The recent price reduction is also part of my thought process, but then--as anyone who knows me will agree--I can rationalize damn near anything. It's not as though I need any more temptations...the Moog One is also beckoning, though the price is a full order of magnitude greater.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

The Behringer Model D would be a cheap way to enhance my Alesis Ion for lead synth sounds. I usually stack 4 or 8 voices on the Ion and output one side to an original Roland CE1 Chorus. Sounds great. Adding the Boog would be a small price for a toy that would be optional if it went on the blink, no big deal.

The DM12 is an interesting KB, another bargain, especially in the rack version. I am more than satisfied with the Alesis Ion as a controller, the internal sounds and the functions of the board are outstanding.

I grew up in the analog world, and still play my Prophet 5 for giggles, but I don't take it out to a gig. Its too valuable to risk anything happening to it. I've owned a few Oberheims in years past, so the Ion cannot compete in the earth shaking sound department. However, its a VA and a good one at that, it is what it is. A little extra help from a rack mount something should help.

I appreciate all the positive input!

Mike T.

Archived