Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Still Safe?

Geoff Grace

Just a quick note to those who know I live in Thousand Oaks. My family and I are safe.

Just checking in to make sure that's still the case, considering the wildfire and massive evacuation of your neck of the woods that's happening now.

The last I heard, there had yet to be any fatalities; but at least 30,000 people had been evacuated and 30 homes destroyed. Considering the heavy winds, I'm sure those numbers will rise.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Dave.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw on FB that he posted "Evacuated. " four hours ago. :(

Good that they're safe, but it still sucks.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Certainly Jim Ketchum AKA ChicoJimbo has been evacuated also. Hopefully he will be able to check in at some point. Best to all of our CA brothers and sisters

Just saw Jimbo has his fantasy football team set up for this weekend. This is a good sign. :thu:

:nopity:

Thoughts and prayers definitely extended to our brethren living at ground zero of these events. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Pray for the Hammond....
As a person who has been through some threatening tropical storms with gear that can't be easily moved, I feel for you, Dave. I know things matter less than people, but hopefully you won't lose anything including your Hammond, Kawai, and other gear.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Best wishes for your, your family and your home's safety Dave. Also to other KC'ers impacted by these events.

It is almost incomprehensible that a community could have to deal with these two disasters at the same time.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Back home now. :wave:

The fire is still 0% contained, but it's moved away from us, towards Malibu and the San Fernanado Valley. We feel like the danger has dialed down enough that we can be here.

The sky is relatively clear here, but the smell of smoke is permeating the entire area. I keep finding myself craving BBQ - I know, I'm not well... :wacko: :idk

Today's wrinkle - last night the fire took out the Spectrum fiber optic cables, so a huge swath of the area has no internet! AT&T stepped up though - we got a text saying we can use as much data as we want without charge for the next few days, so my phone is now my hot spot.

Way too much fun... :rolleyes::facepalm:

Thanks so much to everyone for all the love and support! :)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hate to hear about all of this destruction not only homes and human life, but such a beautiful natural area. I've always been curious though, not living in an area with wildfires: they're saying this was started by a campfire. How can they tell? Seems like with it moving so fast and covering such a large area, given the amount of damage, it would be tough to pinpoint where exactly it started and how. I guess there's some serious science behind it in terms of going back in time based on wind patterns and landscape as well as analyzing the burnt remains?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I lived through a fire or two in my lifetime.. including the Paradise fire in Northern San Diego area... unbelievable.

Two super fires in SD county.

Here is one of the factors in fires that I did not know.

From New York Times:

"Its counterintuitive, but the United States history of suppressing wildfires has actually made present-day wildfires worse.

For the last century we fought fire, and we did pretty well at it across all of the Western United States, Dr. Williams said. And every time we fought a fire successfully, that means that a bunch of stuff that would have burned didnt burn. And so over the last hundred years weve had an accumulation of plants in a lot of areas.

And so in a lot of California now when fires start, those fires are burning through places that have a lot more plants to burn than they would have if we had been allowing fires to burn for the last hundred years.

In recent years, the United States Forest Service has been trying to rectify the previous practice through the use of prescribed or controlled burns."

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

This much worse than it appears. The Santa Susana Field Laboratory site burned, including the site of the meltdown of an experimental sodium-cooled nuclear reactor that melted down in 1959 and was never cleaned up. It was near Simi Valley. Google it or search YouTube.

About a third of the nuclear rods melted. The site was formerly owned by Rocketdyne and is now owned by Boeing. Dont breathe the smoke and get an air purifier for your home. I live just north of the recent fire and was under an evacuation order for the rain and mudslides in December and January.

Be well and safe.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Glad you were able to get back home, Dave.

Having made it through the Steiner Ranch fire of 2011, yes, I would heavily advise being very careful of your lungs.

Even if you're in a non-industrial area, the toxins in the smoke from burning houses, cars and their contents are extreme, many of them highly cancerous.

If your home made it through a fire but it was overwhelmed by any of this smoke, you should strongly consider a thorough detoxification (as much as is possible), from HVAC on out. It's a complicated, expensive but very necessary job, especially if you have kids.

Continued luck to you, and be safe, Dave!

This much worse than it appears. The Santa Susana Field Laboratory site burned, including the site of the meltdown of an experimental sodium-cooled nuclear reactor that melted down in 1959 and was never cleaned up. It was near Simi Valley. Google it or search YouTube.

About a third of the nuclear rods melted. The site was formerly owned by Rocketdyne and is now owned by Boeing. Dont breathe the smoke and get an air purifier for your home. I live just north of the recent fire and was under an evacuation order for the rain and mudslides in December and January.

Be well and safe.

Difficult to know. Officials are denying any danger, but they haven't always been forthcoming with other disasters in the area.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/11/09/state-says-no-toxic-risk-from-woolsey-fire-that-burned-old-nuclear-site-in-simi-valley/

The Woolsey Fire, an out-of-control wildfire that started in Ventura County and moved into Malibu, where it is consuming homes along the coastal community, began as a brush fire near the site of a partial nuclear meltdown at a laboratory in Simi Valley, officials said Friday.

This has raised concerns for some watchdog groups, neighbors and others who have called for a total cleanup of the site known as the Rocketdyne facility for many years. They worry the fire caused the spread of toxins into the air.

However, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control in Sacramento denied that the fire that burned through a portion of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory presented additional public health threats.

The laboratory is the site of a series of nuclear reactor accidents, including a partial meltdown in the 1959, and a place where tens of thousands of rocket engine tests took place using propellants that are known carcinogens.

The fire agencies responding to the fire have consulted with their own hazardous materials coordinator who is familiar with the site and determined the fire did not present any risks other than those normally present in a wildfire situation, said the DTSC in a written response.

The state toxics agency said it is actively monitoring the fire but that the fire was no longer burning at the Rocketdyne facility, as of Friday evening. The DTSC emergency response staff is in contact with Ventura County authorities.

Our scientists and toxicologists have reviewed information about the fires location and do not believe the fire has caused any releases of hazardous materials that would pose a risk to people exposed to the smoke, according to the DTSC.

West Hills resident Melissa Bumstead, whose daughter has survived two bouts with leukemia that she blames on the SSFL facility, said she doesnt trust DTSCs quick assessment.

DTSC repeatedly minimizes risk from SSFL and has broken every promise it ever made about the SSFL cleanup. Communities throughout the state have also been failed by DTSC. The public has no confidence in this troubled agency, said Bumstead in a written response.

Dr. Robert Dodge, President of Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles, is also concerned.

We know what substances are on the site and how hazardous they are. Were talking about incredibly dangerous radionuclides and toxic chemicals such a trichloroethylene, perchlorate, dioxins and heavy metals, Dodge said in a prepared statement.

The state agency says it will check out the air monitoring equipment around the defunct lab as soon as fire department officials allow access.

DTSC will continue to update the communities around the SSFL site as new information becomes available about the site and the impacts of the fire.

Best wishes for everyone who live in the area. Between apocalyptic wild fires and a horrific mass shooting, to say that it's been rough in the area is an understatement.

Best wishes for everyone who live in the area. Between apocalyptic wild fires and a horrific mass shooting, to say that it's been rough in the area is an understatement.
No doubt. :idea:

We got ridiculously lucky. The fire came within single digit miles of us. Had the wind blown very slightly more to the west for a half an hour, it would almost certainly have come here. :eek:

The state of mind of the people in the area is...interesting, to say the least. Folks are understandably kind of tweaked. Quite a few were already that way on Thursday from the Borderline incident. :freak::facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived