Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to use Mainstage and Keyscape without problems ?

Dextroze

Rob / Reezekeys, you're a great example of an artist who can express themselves beautifully in live performance using a midi controller / laptop rig. You've inspired me to keep putting effort into my laptop rig. Like you, I also have "computer nerdyness tendencies" and if I didn't I would have probably bailed on the laptop rig a long time ago.

My buffer is set at 128; 64 crackles and 256 is somewhat sluggish.

For me, modeled software (e.g., VB3 II and Pianoteq) have an excellent finger to ear connection. Sampled software, like Ravenscroft, less so. Lately I've been attributing this more to the much greater amount of detail modeling provides as opposed to latency but please take what I say with a grain of salt because it's not firmly rooted in fact or science and I'm still trying to understand this better. Last century I gig'ed extensively with an MKS20 piano module and always felt well connected to the sound. I believe the MKS20 was a modeled type of approach (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words Al. Yea, you could say that I've invested a lot of time in making my setup work. As I said in another post, I started about 17 years ago. Way before that I too used an MKS20 (still have it actually). I was lucky to be at the NAMM show when it was introduced (Herbie was doing an informal demo in the Roland room!). It was revolutionary. This was still the era of Emulators and Fairlights so a decent sampled piano was out of reach for regular shlubs like me. I had an Ensoniq Mirage and the piano was pitiful but more realistic than a DX7 so I used it.

You say sampled software pianos are "less so" in finger-to-ear connection than modeled software. Do you include the slab DPs like Nords, Kurzs, etc.? Those are closed-systems of course, but they are sampled software pianos nonetheless. My old NI NY Piano has something like eight sample layers (or more, I forget) on each key so no super-smooth transitions like modeled, but enough grain for me I don't feel any abrupt jumps in tone or volume when switching layers. Maybe other sampled pianos are not quite as seamless in their layers. I also messed quite a bit with my velocity curve and force settings on my controller.

For perspective: after the days of my Mirage and MKS20 but before I started with laptoping I used a Roland XP50 with the "Session" expansion board. It was a two-layer piano! I remember being totally happy with it, probably because it was my first true stereo piano. I was in pig's heaven playing it through my two Mackie SRM450s!

I don't use Keyscape, so I don't have much to offer, but Brian Li is a knowledgeable user:

https://441k.com/optimizing-keyscape-for-live-performance-92138de740c

I notice a number of his ideas have already been mentioned.

Secondly, there is a trick for allowing to Kontakt to play nice with Mainstage by limiting Kontakt's use to single core, and thus allowing the other cores to be "managed" by Mainstage. I wonder if Keyscape has a similar "limitation" you could employ without sacrificing performance too much?

Thirdly, I concur with everyone who says that the most wonderful sounds have often diminishing returns because of the sonic limitations of the halls and the sound systems with which we are dealing.

Thank you all for your help.

I've decided for now to keep the px5s and go the software road !

I've started a new topic if you're intereted.

All your thougts and insights have been vert helpful and thanks to you I could avoid spend ng 1500!!

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Dexter, I know this has been asked already, but Im not understanding why you have to use Keyscape in the first place. UVI has some excellent pianos and partner VI's that can load in their standalone player as multis that are quick 'n' easy. Or if you must use Mainstage, none of them present a problem. And to my knowledge, UVI, Acoustic Samples and Moddart are all based in Paris (which may or may not be of help, technically). Keyscape might be wonderful in the studio, but for a live gig, unless you're using historical/rare instrumentation, why? There are options.

Here for the gear.

Dexter, I know this has been asked already, but Im not understanding why you have to use Keyscape in the first place. UVI has some excellent pianos and partner VI's that can load in their standalone player as multis that are quick 'n' easy. Or if you must use Mainstage, none of them present a problem. And to my knowledge, UVI, Acoustic Samples and Moddart are all based in Paris (which may or may not be of help, technically). Keyscape might be wonderful in the studio, but for a live gig, unless you're using historical/rare instrumentation, why? There are options.

Indeed this seems to be very valid options. Thé main reason I stick with Keyscape is because I bought it :)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Archived