Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Had to take my kid to the doc

He's fine, just so you know up front. But this is kinda gross, so you may want to skip this thread. You're warned.

He'd had a cold for a couple of days, accompanied by a slight fever. I'm not one to rush off to a hospital the minute my boy gets mildly ill, so I just kept him on rest and liquids since Monday. But today, he was miserable, and I asked him what was wrong. He kept saying it was his mouth, but when I'd look in his mouth, I couldn't see much wrong... but there was a pretty bad stench coming from there, so I thought that maybe he contracted strep or something. Then I finally thought to look on the roof of his mouth, and the whole thing was about as pussy and bloody and infected as you can imagine.

So then I did freak out. That boy almost never gets sick at all, and he seemed worse by the minute. I put him in the car and high-tailed it to the local Doc-in-a-Box (one of those little immediate care centers), not wanting to screw around with his pediatrician's office. They pulled us right in.

Took his temp (101). Weighed him (53 pounds). Checked his pulse... all the normal stuff. And amazingly, it was only about five minutes later that the doc came in. That's some kind of medical speed record.

Well, he took a look at the mouth, and we were relieved to hear that what was going on wasn't serious. But (yech) on top of a nasty cold, he has a nasty infected canker sore. It is too gross to even attempt to describe in there, so I won't. But the point is, a couple of days of antibiotics and he'll be fine.

There's nothing worse than your kids getting sick, even when it turns out to be no big deal.

- Jeff

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel for you. I have a son that will be 5 in June and we are on a first name basis with the triage nurses at our local hospital emergency room. You knwo they talk about violence and sex on TV being bad for kids. What about all the extreme sports etc. My son thinks he can do everything and not get hurt. He's not satisfied with sliding down a slide he has to propel himself off a slide. Well, he just missed and fractured his clavical.

I already told about my daughter having pneumonia when she was four elsewhere in this forum. Yeah, it's scary when they're that young with anything wrong. I remember the freak-out me and the ex went through when as an infant, she became all blotted and red speckled. Turned out just to be rosiola and no real big deal. But it scared us just like your kid's mouth must have.

Glad he's going to be fine.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Thank peeps. I'm way relieved... he's resting a bit better now.

My son will also be five in June, Jokerelli. They're pretty tough at this age, I'll testify. My kid has no sense of fear, and needs to start getting some!

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

My kid has no sense of fear, and needs to start getting some!

Eeehhh, ya MIGHT want to replace "fear" with "caution". I have a grandnephew that age who DOES have a sense of fear. Of EVERYTHING! From kittens to his own freakin' shadow! It can get to be a bitch.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Glad he's ok, Jeff.

A co-worker of mine, as if he didn't have enough drama in his life right now, spent much of last night at the emergency room because his oldest (of four kids) fell off their roof. Thank goodness it was above a first floor section of the house. He'll be ok. Severely bruised his tailbone.

As the father of a 5 year old daughter, I know what this is like. To quote Jason Robards in Parenthood; "It NEVER ends.. Never ends.." They'll always be our babies and we'll always hurt when they hurt, especially when we can't just make it better.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

That boy almost never gets sick at all

Wait until he starts school. :freak:

Poor little guy, glad he's going to be okay. I have a boy who'll be 5 in July. We should start a club or something.

Julie

My 5 year old had a pretty good winter, but they sure do start getting fungi when they start in school. I think one of the main advantages to preschool is that they ease into the germs.

And (!!) thos little clinics are the way to go. Pay cash, get shots, no dicking around.

My oldest boy has just been diagnosed with colitis. It's a chronic condition...something he'll have to live with. It can be serious...but usually meds are enough to take care of it. He's almost 21. So yeah, you'll always worry about them...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Always sad when kids are ill.

It's good that your boy got diagnosed and that his illness will go away.

I've said it before: perhaps we need a forum for all those in need of care & attention, "The Recovery Zone" (Nursers would be the obvious moderator)! :D

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I got to take a trip to the hospital last night too. Right as soon as I got home from work, I no sooner put my keys up on the TV when my son (8) and his friends knock on the door. i open it to see my boy absolutely covered in blood. He looked like something out of a bad horror movie. I look on the side of his head and There is a big ass hole in it that you could put a silver dollar in. Luckily there were no red lights on the way to the hospital. He is fine, got him stitched up and checked him every couple of hours to make sure he didn't have a concussion. It has been a really screwey week. Split with the wife on saturday, found out a old friend was murdered on sunday, had 9 puppies on monday and now this.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Happy to hear the snot gobbler is going to be ok Jeff.

Have him swish & spit with a salt wash. A tablespoon of table salt to a quart of water. It won't hurt him if he happens to swallow.

My dentists and the fine folks at the Loma Linda Dental Hospital recommend it for mouth cleansing.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Could it be "Hand Foot and Mouth" disease? Funny, my niece who's also in LA came down with it over the weekend. She's about 1.5 yo. We probably wouldn't even know about it if my wife didn't happen to take our two children out there for a visit over the weekend :rolleyes: .

So now our two girls are fighting the bug off. They seem to be doing well though. They just have cold like symptoms so far. No cankor sores thus far.

Life can get pretty hellish when your kids are ill.

I had no idea so many of us had kids or grandkids around the same age. No wonder we're all insane! :freak:

Yeah, he seems a little better this morning, but he's also fighting me about taking his medecine (even though he fully understands the connection between medecine and feeling better).

- Jeff

Jeff, they didn't give him "The Pink Stuff," as we call it around here? All of mine love the taste and would drink the whole bottle if it was up to them. Maybe it conflicts with the yuck in his mouth? This would be the point where I'd bribe him with a popsicle for taking his medicine.

When mine all had strep a couple of months ago, one doctor gave the aforementioned 4 year old pills to take. Pills! Yeah right. They were huge, too. What a nightmare.

Good luck. Almost as bad as them being sick is making them unhappy so they can get better!

Julie

Originally posted by JulieCat:

Jeff, they didn't give him "The Pink Stuff," as we call it around here?

Yep! It's bubble-gum flavored Amoxicillin, bright pink. But he hates it simply because he knows its medecine. My wife tried to invent a story that it was really a magic candy that faeries gave to us in the middle of the night to make him allllllllll better, and he looked at her like she was an idiot. We tried bribery. No doing. We then had to literally force it down him, and he's due for another dose pretty soon here. What fun! :rolleyes:

- Jeff

Glad to hear the mini-weasel is on the road to recovery.

I have a rule with my two boys: unless you are throwing up, you have a fever over 100, or are DEAD, you can't stay home from school. They're not dead yet.

Luckily, they have been extremely healthy (except for a pesky mis-diagnosed scabies outbreak (scratching at the thought). Each received a minor injury at about your son's age that required a trip to the emergency room. Each time the doctor at some point pulled them to the side and solemnly asked "did your daddy do this?", and just the thought of that question made me feel like shit. They survived and I was exonerated.

My 4 year old daughter has had the pink crap too. She'd ingest motor oil if it were pink, so the Amoxicillin was never an issue for us. But man, oh man do anti-biotics make thier breath and their crap STINK!

Sending sympathetic vibes your way....

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Jeff, I hope your little guy is doing well. My kids both have colds, so it's like Boogerland around here. Better than pukeing by a LONG SHOT, though...

Originally posted by Hendmik:

But man, oh man do anti-biotics make thier breath and their crap STINK!

Make certain your giving your kids plenty of yogurt if they are on anti-biotics. Anti-biotics kill ALL bacteria, not just the bad stuff....the good stuff too. Yogurt has acidophilus which is important for them to have in their stomach to aid in digestion. There's your 'stinky poop'.

By the way.....I'm NOT a pediatrician, but I play one on the Internet... :wave:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived