Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

State of the art strings ?

Kurzfan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What rompler/sampler has state of the art string sound these days?

I wont mention names in order not to bias opinions

I think your name may give away your bias. ;-) But I think the best strings in hardware would probably be Yamaha Genos.

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What rompler/sampler has state of the art string sound these days?

I wont mention names in order not to bias opinions

I think your name may give away your bias. ;-) But I think the best strings in hardware would probably be Yamaha Genos.

[video:youtuoutube.com/watch?v=oXE6FGNf3OE

maybe. Heavy use of reverb. Less or subtle use is my pref.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Very nice Kronos expansion there! While Genos might be the best board in terms of its "stock" strings, yeah, if you consider third-party expansions, that sounds great. And even though it's $399, a Kronos+that pack is still a lot cheaper than a Genos. But I wonder about the articulations, which Genos is known for... i.e. not just the sounds, but the way they alter their behavior based on how you play. I think that might still give it the edge in natural playability/expressiveness, apart from however you'd compare them strictly in terms of the quality of the sounds themselves. I'm not talking abou invoking alternate articulations with assignable buttons, but of having authentic sounding articulation changes happen automatically as you play, based on what/how you play. Though I don't know off-hand whether they use that tech in their string sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Seems like Kurzweil suprimacy for orchestral sounds has come to an end?

I don't think Kurz has done any new string samples since the PC3, 10 years ago. Still, I think those Kurz strings are probably still competitive with (and often better than) anything else you can buy today (in hardware) except for Kronos, Genos, Montage/MODX (which also benefit from third party dedicated string libraries).

I think it should be possible for KApro to port this library to Kurzweil gear.

Only the Forte (7 and 8) have even the possibility of handling its 400 mb size. Whether there are other technical constraints I don't know. But also, Kurz doesn't have a manufacturer-supported third-party marketplace like Korg does, making it that much harder to market it.

I think it should be possible for KApro to port this library to Kurzweil gear.

Only the Forte (7 and 8) have even the possibility of handling its 400 mb size. Whether there are other technical constraints I don't know. But also, Kurz doesn't have a manufacturer-supported third-party marketplace like Korg does, making it that much harder to market it.

The Epic Composer Private Collection is 7GB+.

7.17 GB of PCM data; 394 MB of virtual RAM required

Busch.

The Epic Composer Private Collection is 7GB+.

7.17 GB of PCM data; 394 MB of virtual RAM required

Whoops! Yup, thanks for the correction. So nope, can't possibly get it into a Kurz (or any other current hardware board).

Though I would quibble with Korg calling that other requirement "virtual" RAM.

Busch

That's incredible. I would have never dreamed that such authentic strings could be played on a KB instrument. The sounds are great, but it takes a musician that knows how to play string parts like that for it too work. WOW!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Busch

That's incredible. I would have never dreamed that such authentic strings could be played on a KB instrument. The sounds are great, but it takes a musician that knows how to play string parts like that for it too work. WOW!

Mike T.

What I was thinking as well, great sounds, but exceptionally expressive performance by Kusak! He obviously has listened to a lot of orchestral music.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived