Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rocco Prestia Released from Tower of Power

LX88

I noticed an update on the Tower of Power website with that contained somewhat startling news.

Bass player Francis "Rocco" Prestia has been officially replaced from the touring band by bassist Marc Van Wageningen.

I am sadden to hear this. Apparently Rocco did not agree to the decision, although he has missed a number of gigs over the years due to complications from having had two major transplant surgeries.

I was excited to hear that they had reached their 50th anniversary earlier this year but I am less than excited about going to hear the band personally without Rocco there. His playing and innovative rhythmic approach were consistently interesting.

I also feel that they have not been able to successfully replace Larry Braggs on vocals. Just my opinion here, but their latest vocalist just does not do it for me.

I suspect that there may be a bit of love hate between Rocco and Emilio Castillo. You never know what might be going on behind the scenes. Certainly with the amount of touring these guys have done over the years resentments possibly can build up particularly if gigs are missed.

I know that over the years Roger Smith was called on to cover bass parts on keyboards.

It's still a sad thing that he had to be let go.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd - their site is coming up blank for me when I click "Enter Site."

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. Like you say, you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not sure why this was recently updated on their website, but in a June interview with BassPlayer magazine, Rocco talked about the decision by the band to replace him,and how he did not desire the move himself.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Archived