Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Death of the smiley

Joe Muscara

In another post, I wanted to use a smiley that I've seen on other forums. It used to be I could easily search for a smiley and paste in the path to it surrounded by img tags.

Instead, I found lots of emoji. Lots and lots of emoji. With links that let me literally copy and paste, which I'm 99% sure wouldn't work here.

I guess it's another disadvantage to using forum software that's really old but we don't want to F with, for fear of breaking who-knows-what as well as the other reasons dB has given us.

Carry on.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't on my list of worries. I was able to emoji-tag a letter to my sister about a situation that was a sh*t taco. I enjoyed that far too much.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

The emojis on Facebook don't say what they are, and I can't tell with some of them. Not the main ones, but the bigger panel to select from. It can be embarrassing. Maybe there are tool tips that are just super-slow to come up, and I don't wait long enough.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I was your age, we had to turn our heads to parse emoticons!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Clarification: what I thought were emoji editors on Facebook were actually OS-level mini-editors provided by Apple. They work some places, but not others -- such as this forum. :-) Oh well. And I still can't tell what most of them mean, in terms of disambiguating similar ones, as there are no tool tips (for me, aft least, but I'm still on Sierra).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Another modern-day glitch - autocorrect keeps changing "thu" to "the" when I want to insert :thu: leaving me with the useless :the:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just had a friend send me an emoji so raw, I can't even *describe* it on a nice family group like KC. There's nothing on Earth so nasty that someone won't make a tiny GIF of it that you can accidentally send to your grandmother or your boss.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

The emojis on Facebook don't say what they are, and I can't tell with some of them.

I just learned that the one I thought was a pile of poop is supposed to be chocolate pudding. That changes the meaning of some of the comments I had read drastically.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That's hilarious, Dan! So you were probably wondering why all the people you insulted were still your best friends? :-)

Archived