Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mystery noise with Macbook Pro (Long Post)

musicbysterling

For the past month or so,I have been hearing a random "fizzy/hiss/buzzy" noise for a lack of a more accurate description, in my studio setup, which also doubles as my live rig. I originally had a Key Largo and a few weeks ago, got a Scarlett 18i20 G2 to replace it. Originally, I thought I only heard the noise when I had a certain 16gig USB drive connected directly to my laptop. I generally used it to only transfer large sample files into my Kronos. The noise that I usually heard appeared in bursts of varying lengths, as if somebody had turned on an electrical device somewhere. I originally suspected the stick, as the one piece open/close function was very loose and noticed that it also took an inordinate amount of time to appear on my desktop as well as a long time to unmount when I dragged it to the trash.

However, then I began to notice it when I listening to music and just playing my gear. The noise reappeared, still randomly, but sounding less like the steady bursts I heard previously with the USB drive connected to the computer. Due to it's relatively low volume level, I only noticed it when I was using headphones and wasn't aware of it when my powered monitors were on.

Last week was the first time I took my laptop to a gig. I'm using Gig Performer and am currently only using a rackspace that is populated with the audio file player plugin that comes with GP to play files consisting of a click on one side, with the other track being various recorded tracks. The outs from GP are routed to a pair of outs in the Scarlett which then go to FOH. My keyboard signal is routed to another pair of the Scarlett's outs which also go to FOH. The sound guy then sends the GP signal back to stage, where the audio track side is fed to the wedges and the click click track and audio is sent to the drummer's in ear system.

After the gig,the drummer told me that he was getting random white noise from my audio signal. The sound guy also confirmed the random bursts of noise, which he said were low level, but definitely present in the mix.

Since last week, I have not heard it in my studio and I've been spending a lot of time using headphones. I'm perplexed. I'm not using a USB hub live (for now), but I do at home. The laptop is always plugged into a power supply. I have a Juice Goose 8.0LM powered distribution center my rack.

I'm guessing that it's my laptop, as I've never been told this has occurred sans laptop. Any advice or suggestions on how I can begin to address this issue before my next gig this week? Thx.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[...] The laptop is always plugged into a power supply. [...]

Does the situation improve if you disconnect the power supply and run the laptop on battery power only?

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Good question. Ill give that a shot tomorrow at my gig. I'll try it at home today, but being that I experience it so randomly, it may or may not appear. Being that my, drummer is so, so picky and apt to whine, his in ears will be the acid test. Thx!

[...] The laptop is always plugged into a power supply. [...]

Does the situation improve if you disconnect the power supply and run the laptop on battery power only?

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Archived