Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me spend some money...

Adam Burgess

Possible ramble post, sorry!

So, my old band rig was a Stage2 88, a Kronos 61 on top (and an AX-Synth). Sold them all as I ended up doing jazzy piano only stuff for a couple of years.

Ive since got a Kronos 73 as the main board, a Numa Organ2 and a DeepMind12. I bought the Kronos as a thing to do everything, which it can, but I think I need that immediacy back that I had with the Nord. Still love the Kronos set list mode MIDId to everything.

Or... get a ROMpler I can use for lead strings and dreaded keyboard brass. Keep the Kronos - maybe being a bit wasted only doing pianos, EPs, and pads. But, it sounds and feels great doing those few things.

Maybe a Kurz 61 - never owned one ever so might be fun? But, I do fancy another keytar so maybe grab the new Roland?

Or... try and exchange the Kronos 73 for a 61 for on top and get a weighted Nord again. No point having two weighted boards.

Or... something else

Side question... wish the Numa could provide a bit more overdrive... any recommendations for a pedal? No amps. Got a silent stage going on. Havent tried it thru the Kronos FX engine yet. Not sure it would be that nice... Could maybe try it thru our X32 desks FX. Hmmm...

Happy to hear any thoughts. Cheers, Adam

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Side question... wish the Numa could provide a bit more overdrive... any recommendations for a pedal?

Neo Ventilator, which does OD and rotary.

Yes, there are just overdrive pedals (like the Lounsberry stuff), but you typically want the overdrive before the rotary effect, not after. Since the Numa doesn't have an insert loop, there's no way to add OD before its rotary effect. So you'll need a pedal with its own.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ok. Thats a Vent going to be ordered. I cant try one around here but Ill trust you guys! Always heard good things about them. I quite like the look of a Key Largo, too. Sold my Radial DIs with the other stuff.

Any thoughts on the board shake up? The more I think about it, Im leaning more toward exchanging the Kronos 73 for a 61 and picking up a Nord 88 again. Its a bit tough here in the UAE, as everyone who wants a Kronos has one. Be easier to get a 61 ROMpler but would I be happy.... really struggling with which way to go.

Thanks, everyone.

I was just at a guy's house this weekend (guitar player) who has the Ventura leslie pedal. He kept telling me how great the pedal sounds and I kept nodding. He said, "your reaction tells me you don't believe me". I said I never heard the pedal live before except on youtube so I can't really comment until I actually heard it. He brings me into his basement and proceeds to demo the pedal for me with his guitar. I told him that it sounded Okay but not great. He said do you have a better suggestion? I went out to my car and grabbed my Vent and brought into his basement and set it up for his guitar. He was completely blown away by the sound of the Vent. The only thing he didn't like was its size (I have the original Vent) and he wanted something smaller. I then went online and showed him the newer mini-Vent; he ordered one on the spot. I just laughed. I did tell him that with the original Vent you can turn the cabinet simulation on and off and with the mini vent there are two different models, one for organ (cabinet sim) and one for non-organ (no cabinet sim). i don't recall which one he ordered but whichever one he ordered it is on its way to his house.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Im leaning more toward exchanging the Kronos 73 for a 61 and picking up a Nord 88 again

Any thought about keeping the Kronos 73 and picking up a Nord Stage 3 Compact? Since MIDI lets you play any sound from either board from either action, you've got pretty much the same functionality in one pair vs. the other, except one is 88+61 and the other is 73+73... but there are a few other differences that could be relevant that come to mind. One is that the Nord uses a high trigger point for its internal organ sound, and a low release for its internal clav, so *IF* you were intending to use the Nord for organ or clav, they will play better from the Nord's own action, which may prompt you to want the Nord in its non-hammer variation. Also, the Kronos screen can be easier to read on a bottom tier than a top.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thats an interesting plan, Scott. Thanks. Not sure Im a fan of that semiweighted action. If its the same as the Electro, I wasnt keen. Im 67 and playing standing so Kronos set list on top is actually better haha.

I do miss the full 88 if Im honest. Still have to second guess myself if theres a bottom C.

I think part of the reason to change my current thing is so I can hammer at buttons on the Korg to find a patch while playing something else separately and not worry about changing modes or cutting out.

I think I need a Stage 88. Worry about swapping the Kronos for a smaller one later... or get a Yamaha KX, or a Krome, or a Kurz PC... ARGH.

I've been using a Nord Stage 2 Compact with a Korg Kronos 2 73 on my more involved gigs, programming-wise. While I miss the extra 15 weighted keys on the Kronos, I don't miss the extra schlep. The Nord's clonewheel runs out channel 3 and into a Ventilator.

It's a hella-powerful rig, and I believe it can cover as much ground as is capable in hardware. A perfect marriage of immediacy courtesy the Nord and firepower courtesy the Kronos.

I think a Nord Stage 3 paired with a Kronos is about as capable a 2-board rig as you can get. But if travel weight is an issue, an NS3 plus a MODX is a great combo too...

My favorite setup is a Kronos 61 on top of a Kronos 73. Gives me both weighted and synth action, all the sounds I need, and if one happened to go out, I can use the other. I can also really learn the depths of the keyboard and apply that knowledge to both. And, you can grab either one and take to a session knowing you have your complete sound set.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I think a Nord Stage 3 paired with a Kronos is about as capable a 2-board rig as you can get.

Agreed. :thu:

The Nord Stage 3 and Kronos would be the perfect combination of an 88 note with real-time control and the ultimate ROMpler. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think a Nord Stage 3 paired with a Kronos is about as capable a 2-board rig as you can get.

Agreed. :thu:

The Nord Stage 3 and Kronos would be the perfect combination of an 88 note with real-time control and the ultimate ROMpler. :cool:

I think thats the plan. Downsize to the 61 Kronos and get a Stage 88. Exactly like my old rig haha!

"Help me spend some money..."

Sure, how about the new Moog One? :laugh:

Ah, I just picked up a DeepMind 12. Would have no use for it :laugh:

There is no comparison.

There is plenty to compare, im sure!

But, for around $500USD, I couldnt turn the little Behringer down. Its quite fun.

Archived