Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestion for single keybd w split independent outs

JoJoB3

Hi, asking for a friend.

What single keyboards are avail out there that offer two sounds (split) but each sound having independent outs?

Example: syn bass on left split, other sound on right, each w their own dedicated output jack.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most any keyboard that allow you stack two or more sounds (multi/setup/combi mode) will have panning options for the output of each instrument, so you can pan one hard left and one hard right. You'll want to ensure the patch itself is "mono friendly", and take care with effects routing.

If you want more than one stereo pair, you're generally looking at higher-end workstation/performance boards (Kurzweil, Korg, Yamaha, Nord, etc.).

I make software noises.

John's info is basically right. Unless I've forgotten something, the only lower-end board with stereo out plus separate assignable out is Roland FA. Other than that, you're looking at higher-end models: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Montage, Kurzweil Forte/PC3K8, Nord Stage 3.

As for panning/dual-mono boards, most splittable boards can do that. Some that can't are Roland VR-09/VR730, Korg Grandstage, Numa Compact 2/2X, and some of the simpler slab pianos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1) Does he want to play in stereo.

2) Does he want independent volume control for both zones.

If they want a synth action and plenty of room for splits the Kronos LS would be killer. I wish it had two assignable expression pedals.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Good point that some of the boards that let you split by panning don't give you easy front panel separate volume control over the two sounds, you may need to go into a menu. Not necessarily bad, but not as nice as just reaching to a knob/slider for instant adjustment. That's one of the things I like about the Roland Juno DS.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Almost all lower end splittable keyboards have an extra set of outs in a headphone jack. Seems to me a simple software update could allow isolating the main outs from that to allow 2 independent outs. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Almost all lower end splittable keyboards have an extra set of outs in a headphone jack. Seems to me a simple software update could allow isolating the main outs from that to allow 2 independent outs.

It would not be a simple software update if the phones and main outs are tapped off the same audio line, which is almost certainly the case. Software isn't magic. ;-)

OP did not specify "low end" keyboard, but speaking for myself I wouldn't want two separate mono sounds coming out of a single stereo output of any synth unless it was some kind of emergency situation, or both the sounds were mono to begin with which rules out a lot of sounds that use efx to get their character. You might be able to get something workable by pairing such a synth with one of those small mixers that have built-in effects (e.g., Yam MG06X). You'd get stereo effects plus independent level & eq control over the synth's L&R outputs.

Also I've noticed the problem routing stereo sounds with stereo effects to one output (panned) is that you still get ghosting in the other output, i.e. effects panned hard left still have ghosting show up in the right channel. This can be particular annoying if the effect is a delay, imagine piano panned to the right channel and being blended with a delay with a synth that is panned to the left but some of the delay still moves out the right channel and gets mixed with the piano. That's what makes the secondary outputs (aux outs) so valuable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It would not be a simple software update if the phones and main outs are tapped off the same audio line, which is almost certainly the case. Software isn't magic. ;-)

Thanks for the correction! Yes, you are right, for that to work would indeed require two extra channels of DA conversion.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived