Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too much?

stoken6

Is it bad form to double-Nord? Chuck Hollis says no, and now so do I:

30514628987_42506080cb_z.jpg

I've been using a Stage 2/73 over a variety of controllers to date:

- Oberheim MC1000/76 - can't get on with the action

- Oberheim MC1000/88 - too big and heavy

- Yamaha NP30 - action really is a bit too light for me

I want a 7x-key hammer-action controller with a decent action that's not too heavy. Ideally 5-pin MIDI and internal PSU. I came close to buying a fellow forumite's Nord Stage Classic HA76 some time ago, but transatlantic shipping charges were excessive.

I just happened to be browsing and saw a UK-based Classic HA76 for sale. Price was right (including wheeled hard case) so I jumped on it. The weight is reasonable (36lb from memory) but the case weighs about 22lb on its own! I haven't gigged it yet, but I suspect I'll use a lighter soft case, and a trolley if I need to move it any distance. I do like that action!

I figured if I don't get on with it, I'll be able to sell it for what I paid. And although it's over 10 years old, these things have a reputation for reliability. So I'm going to sell the MC1000/76 (with a little regret - on paper it should have been perfect), andkeep the NP30 for those hard-to-get-to gigs.

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever you like. Looks and aesthetics matter. Matching rigs can make a nice presentation.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hell no, its not too much. Its more like a case of Just Right, because playing pretty much any two Nords banishes the small limitations of just one. They don't seem to have quite as much user memory as people would prefer, but if you're using one that will download from the Nord library, the doubling of horsepower should be one $#@! uplifting experience.

Michael Fright is right: :like:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Dual-wielding Nords is fun. I often play a NE4D over a NP2HP. Light weight, looks slick, sounds awesome. Might replace the NP2 with an NP4 or a Stage 2 HA76 someday, but I'm in no hurry.

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

The double-Nord works for me, but on an ergonomics, convenience and action basis. I'm not too concerned about looks.

In case it's not obvious, my original post is humourous and tongue-in-cheek. Kind of like "is it OK to Double Denim?"

Cheers, Mike.

The double-Nord works for me, but on an ergonomics, convenience and action basis. I'm not too concerned about looks.

In case it's not obvious, my original post is humourous and tongue-in-cheek. Kind of like "is it OK to Double Denim?"

Cheers, Mike.

Don't worry, totally understood the intent of your post. I'm not one to obsess over the look of my rig either. I play a KingKorg in public, for goodness sake!

My answer was serious, though. If it gets you the result you're after, it's good form. Two Nords? Why not, if you like them.

I figured if I don't get on with it, I'll be able to sell it for what I paid. And although it's over 10 years old, these things have a reputation for reliability. So I'm going to sell the MC1000/76 (with a little regret - on paper it should have been perfect), andkeep the NP30 for those hard-to-get-to gigs.

Cheers, Mike.

If you do decide to sell the MC1000/76 let me know. I used to have one and wish I still did

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

I use my D50 as a second keyboard because the keyboards is relay great, on top,of my stage 2, but the 3rd key is the Nord Lead 2X so, no, you can double even Tripple....

When I will have the cash, I will buy the stage 3 compact, use the sample of the 10/15 D50 sounds I love and use all the time in it and I will save the D50 for the studio...

So, great rig, I like it...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

What do you have on the paper on the left side of the top keyboard? Can't figure out ?
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

If you do decide to sell the MC1000/76 let me know. I used to have one and wish I still did
Aha - it's on eBay right now (just went up yesterday). Collection only, I'm afraid (I don't have the original packaging) but if you're planning to visit London...

What do you have on the paper on the left side of the top keyboard? Can't figure out ?
It's just a list of patches. A bit obsolete now that I use Set List Maker!

Cheers, Mike.

Is it bad form to double-Nord? Chuck Hollis says no, and now so do I:

30514628987_42506080cb_z.jpg

I've been using a Stage 2/73 over a variety of controllers to date:

- Oberheim MC1000/76 - can't get on with the action

- Oberheim MC1000/88 - too big and heavy

Cheers, Mike.

Are you sure it wasnt the Viscount/Oberheim MC3000s?

Maybe I missed something being from the States.

I had the MC3000 and the MC3000D Module.

Liked them so much I bought the Viscount Physis K4.

Pretty much the MC3000 on steroids and VST capabilities added.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Kind of like "is it OK to Double Denim?"

If that's a Canadian Tuxedo (it is), then double Nord is a Swedish Tuxedo?

http://images.brightcoloredtuxedos.com/products/10378/1-2/red-costume-tuxedo.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Pretty much the MC3000 on steroids and VST capabilities added

Yeah I have the MC1000 (2-zone) controller - I actually have the 76 ("semi-weighted", selling) and 88 key (hammer, keeping). I love the 88's action, but it's just too big and heavy for most of my gigs.

There was a MC2000 (four-zone) and MC3000 (8-zone) available in 88-hammer only, but they were more expensive. I didn't know (or had forgotten?) about the MC3000D - what an interesting piece of kit. They should have put pitch/mod wheels on it!

Cheers, Mike.

I double Gem'd for years, a 76 Equinox over an 88 Equinox. The 88 had the upgraded piano (Real Piano) and the 76 did not but had a synth action. Both were patched with the same programs so as I created new patches/programs I could move the programs between the two keyboards; this allowed for a failover if one went down or just using a single keyboard for smaller gigs.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Aha - it's on eBay right now (just went up yesterday). Collection only, I'm afraid (I don't have the original packaging) but if you're planning to visit London...

It's just a list of patches. A bit obsolete now that I use Set List Maker!

Cheers, Mike.

Ha ok, yes I use Bandhelper as well, but the list of patch reminds me of the D50 & TX802 patch list I had on a board in the 80's....

Pretty much the MC3000 on steroids and VST capabilities added

Yeah I have the MC1000 (2-zone) controller - I actually have the 76 ("semi-weighted", selling) and 88 key (hammer, keeping). I love the 88's action, but it's just too big and heavy for most of my gigs.

There was a MC2000 (four-zone) and MC3000 (8-zone) available in 88-hammer only, but they were more expensive. I didn't know (or had forgotten?) about the MC3000D - what an interesting piece of kit. They should have put pitch/mod wheels on it!

Cheers, Mike.

I never knew they had those, but the net was brand new and I saw the Oberheim MC3000 and robbed elderly people to have that.

I would have loved one of those for splits

Thanks Mike

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived