Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John's take on the last American Idol

stereo typing is racism whether it caused someone harm or not, if it is based on race. if it was based on gender it would not be racism. its pretty simple we're talking about racism here

George, I understand your point of view and those

of the books you recommend but racism pre-dates all those trains of thought, i see no need to disregard it. sure there are alot of wheelers and dealers in business of detraction and distraction but those artforms don't hold a candle to just plain ole hatred. and in this country specificly we have never addressed the issue properly so it's logical that it thrives and persist. it aint all economics.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never suggested "disregarding" racism...just that interacting with people on a genuine personal level does more to counteract it than any intellectualisms.

Also the book (singular) that I keep recommending, Mumbo Jumbo, is in part about the ways that we are affected by cultural influences that we rarely recognize (like the growth in popularity of certain music styles in the 20th C.).

One last time I recommend it to those who've not read it; it's not a dry social tome but, like most of Reed's work, lively story drawing on seldom considered facts to establish a surprising conclusion.

George I'm not disregarding your book recommendations, i'm going to look more into them

myself and thank you for bringing them up.

and the diff between institut.racism and racism is not genericism but the fact that I can't reach

into your heart and change you but I can reach into your legislation and change what you do to me in public and on paper.

Some might agree with Costanza that the one way to "change peoples hearts" is through personal interaction.

Sadly, sometimes legislated changes seem to invoke a certain backlash. Do not take that statement in any way as an allowance for that sort of reaction, just an observation of its occurrence.

I think what's missing in this discussion is the idea that there might be more than one successful way of reacting to & changing the obvious social problems in the U.S.A.

Why divide ourselves over lesser points when we may be unified in opposition to a larger issue?

Originally posted by John O. Lennon:

I think what's missing in this discussion is the idea that there might be more than one successful way of reacting to & changing the obvious social problems in the U.S.A.

Why divide ourselves over lesser points when we may be unified in opposition to a larger issue?

i totally agree with you, but I don't think that anyone is 'being devisive' anyone and anything against racism has my vote, whatever is possible is exactly what needs to be done.

american idol racist?.. maybe not, maybe it's the

only bastion of non-racism left in america.

Archived