Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anti-Piracy Experience... Nelly Furtado?

Sup everyone?

The weirdest thing just happened to me. A friend of mine lend me the latest Nelly Furtado CD ("Folklore"). He needed it back right away, so I decided to copy it on the Powerbook with iTunes... just wanted to "preview it"... :o (I'm gonna buy it, I swear!).

Anyhoo... two of the firs tracks make this nasty noise. And one of them didn't ripped off completely. Funny enough I think those tracks are the album singles. Could that be some sort of anti-ripping/piracy thing? Is it my computer (it shouln't be but who knows) ?

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same thing happened to me ripping a track onto my PC about a year ago. Just a second long static burst. Happened without fail with every re-rip. Meanwhile, the CD plays fine in everything you throw it in! It was a local band who I doubt has the money to experiment with copy protection. Definately weird.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Originally posted by F7sound -:

Are you sure you didn't copy the latest ReGurgiTron CD by accident?

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - < < may cause brief discomfort > >

All the copies I've sold in China seem to be fine. Could you bring up the vocals just a wee bit?
That explains the sudden rise in my fanbase from certain parts of eastern Asia. Although my sales have't risen a bit. Success in the music industry tastes sooooo sweeeet!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - #2 in China after Britney Spears cuz my boobs are real.

- - now featuring vox up 1dB!!!

Can't speak to your copy, but my copy of Folklore is "Copy Controlled". In the Great White North where I live, copy protection CDs are a fact of life. Case in point, the following CDs that I've purchased recently have copy protection:

Nelly Furtado - Folklore

Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkeyhouse

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Janes Addiction - Strays

I could go on, but you get the point. Less mainstream CDs are still unscathed.

In general, a PITB.

js

Originally posted by js:

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

It's funny. That CD hit the Internet before it actually made it to the shelves. Anyway, what do you mean by "copy protection"? How do they protect the CDs where you live?

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Here's a link that will give you some background - http://www.dvdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections.shtml

Scroll down to the "Commercial Audio CD protections" to see some of the systems in use. The claimed goal of these systems is to prevent CDs from being ripped by computers.

Basically, all these schemes introduce errors in the CD that an audio CD player can correct but a computer drive cannot. Of course, as more audio CD players are resembling computers (i.e. DVD players), your mileage may vary.

And, you can't play many of them on a computer, which, let's face it, for this crowd is a pretty serious restriction. To get around this limitation, some of these CDs have .wma or other type of compressed music files on it with the Security Rights Management built it. Often, you need to install special software on your computer to access them. It's accompanied with a warning stating that "Playback problems may be experienced on some equipment". No kidding - more often than not, they crash my PC.

Philips (one of the creators of the CD) forbids the use of the "CD" designation on these disks, as they intentionally violate the Red Book CD standard.

So now I get music CDs that say what versions of Mac OS and Windows they're compatible with. Wonder if I have to buy an upgrade to my music CD when the next version of Mac or Windows is released.

Question is why I still buy them. Well, most of my listening is in the car on an unholy commute, and I still want to do the right thing. But, I'm not sure that the record companies are holding up their end of the bargain.

js

Archived