Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz chord arpeggios in all 12 keys

Jazz+

I wish I could do this :o

[video:youtube]

LET THE LECTURES BEGIN!

... not jazz....

hasnt any soul...

needs to Listen to some real jazz...

sounds like technique for techniques sake...

sounds classical to me...

And any other stock pearls of wisdom I left out :)

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
0:32 sounds like Ravel (I know, Ravel loved jazz).

Nice coincidence.. earlier today I was listening to a YT video interview of the incomparable Gino Vannelli, and amazingly he said, "People who really understand Ravel, know that he is basically the father of jazz... I mean ever chord change that you can possibly imagine that exists in jazz, began first with Maurice Ravel!" Gino Vannelli.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

LET THE LECTURES BEGIN!

... not jazz....

hasnt any soul...

needs to Listen to some real jazz...

sounds like technique for techniques sake...

sounds classical to me...

And any other stock pearls of wisdom I left out :)

This is unnecessarily snarky. The vid shows a set of exercises to develop technique. It's not about jazz or soul or anything other than what it is.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Been working on them for about 2 months. Rediculously bad at first. Physically hard, but also learning the notes in all keys. Gets easier, but some keys are seriously hard to do up to speed. I'm trying to work on some Chopin and Debussy. The open chords she based these on really help and I like playing them in 2-5-1. She really is sure fingered and digs into techinque. Her mirroring exercises hopefully are next up.

I've been doing variations of these for years too but most not as fast as this guy can. Anything that develops hand independence, finger strength and dexterity is applicable to all styles of playing.

Talking about what is classical, two weeks ago TCM had a 6 part series of TV shows from 1956 with Leonard Bernstein. It was originally broadcast by CBS. All I can say is man, how much has TV changed? Nobody is going to put together a series like that again.

Each part featured a different style of music and one part was blues. He had a full orchestra behind him plus a small combo and they would play examples of what he was talking about throughout the show. He said the 1-4-5 blues progression was pure classical and he gave several examples then he talked about blues lyrics and how Shakespeare was written in iambic pentameter which is basically the blues form. He sat at the piano and played a blues rhythm and started singing Hamlet as a 12 bar blues and it fit perfectly!

Who knew?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

0:32 sounds like Ravel (I know, Ravel loved jazz).

Sounds a lot like the Chopin Op. 10 No. 1 Etude in C major, too.

Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

It is always good to get some fresh ideas for warmups. Plenty of inspriation here - thank you! :)

....and the partly visible, lurking cat is a nice addition to the video. :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Yeah these are kind of your "sit ups" If you practice all of these types of things your soloing get's a lot better.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I expected more from that video.

On the chromatic shenanigans I expected them to include Chopin's etude op 10 no. 2. That would be funny.

As Bill Evans suggests, use your own creativity to come up with practices such as this.

Music is analogous to the ocean... and the piano has endless possibilities for things one can make up.

I find her playing on the video inspiring.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived