Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SanDisk Extreme Portable USB3 SSD fast for 4K workflows

ElmerJFudd

[video:youtube]

SanDisk Extreme

Specifications: Review

Up to 550 MB/s read speeds

Up to 2TB of storage capacity

Shock and vibration resistant

IP55 rated against dust and water

USB 3.1 gen 2 support

Comes with USB-C to USB-C cable, and USB-A adapter

3-year limited warranty

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what "4k workflows" means (video?), didn't watch this just yet as I don't have my phones handy.

I'm planning on getting a similar drive for my imac, the samsung t5. I don't need the rugged features, just a faster drive for some (or all) of my music file needs...I'm debating whether to make it a bootable disk and put *everything* on it, or just maybe some of the larger plugin files. High on that list would be my piano plugin, which takes quite a while to load....I understand that Logic makes it a bit tricky to have its own libraries on anything other than the internal drive, which is irritating, but I don't really have any loading time issues with the built-in stuff anyway.

Bear in mind that 550MB/s is peak performance, marketing baloney for the gullible. Like having your feet in oven and your head on liquid nitrogen and stating your are, on the average, comfortable because the average temperature is 25C.

I'm planning on getting a similar drive for my imac, the samsung t5. I don't need the rugged features, just a faster drive for some (or all) of my music file needs...I'm debating whether to make it a bootable disk and put *everything* on it, or just maybe some of the larger plugin files.

I tried to make a bootable external disk ( from a fast external SSD through USB) on my new iMac, but couldnt get it working.

From what I could Google, that option are removed on the later OS.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

For s&g I just ran Black Magic disk speed test on an old external drive (a $17 Inatek USB3 enclosure with an OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD I paid $80 for). I wasn't expecting barn-burning performance for inexpensive components I bought over three years ago, especially since I use an older interface (funny to call USB3 "old", but it is compared to USB-C & thunderbolt), on a five-year-old (late 2013) MacBook pro. I'm approaching 400MB/second read speeds with this combo (382.5MB/s to be exact). Writes aren't pokey either at 342.4MB/s.

The bigger point imo, is that for video work you want big numbers. For audio, I really think this is much ado about not much. Consider that there are MOTU interfaces that [claim to] move 32 channels of audio at 96K over USB2. Ancient USB2, with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 480Mb/s, or 60MB/s. My old SSD moves data >6x faster that that theoretical max.

This external SSD is cute and fits in a pocket better than my Inatek, and it's a little faster too but it's not anything revolutionary. If you want some screaming speeds in a small external drive, get this TB3 M.2 NVMe drive from OWC (and prepare to empty your wallet!).

I'm planning on getting a similar drive for my imac, the samsung t5. I don't need the rugged features, just a faster drive for some (or all) of my music file needs...I'm debating whether to make it a bootable disk and put *everything* on it, or just maybe some of the larger plugin files.

I tried to make a bootable external disk ( from a fast external SSD through USB) on my new iMac, but couldnt get it working.

From what I could Google, that option are removed on the later OS.

I see. The article I read was pretty recent but probably not for High Sierra. I am not a tweaker when it comes to computers (despite, or because of the fact, that I am a database programmer by trade!) I was leaning toward the simpler option of just putting 3rd-party libraries/plugins on the external anyway (both for faster loading, and to just give more space period). My Garritan piano is the one that takes forever to load at higher quality, and I really prefer the higher quality darn it!

Archived