Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who played piano on �flaming pie � by McCartney?

Jazz+

It lists Paul as piano for the whole album but it sounds like Billy Preston, no? Especially the piano solo at the break at 1:02

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok,? I guess that is Paul. Listening to it at half speed Im pretty sure he did two tracks of piano.

Is this Wicks on piano on the new single?

[video:youtube]

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I think Paul played a lot of the instruments on the Flaming Pie record, with scattered contributions from Jeff Lynne, Linda, Ringo, et al. There are some great live videos of him playing Flaming Pie at his mid-aughts shows (with Wix covering the piano part):

[video:youtube]uH-tl11bvYI

There's a cell phone video of Paul and band playing that new tune live, and Wix is playing all the keys parts on it. I think I read that most of the new record was tracked with his band, so it's likely that Wix did all the keys in the studio and Paul played bass, but it's hard to know for sure... Paul's been prone to mixing it up depending on what instrument is more fun for him to play live (or easier to play and sing at the same time), even on Beatles tunes.

[video:youtube]n_xB0aVYRKk

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I hadn't read that about his band being on the album, if true I think that's great, I have been really rooting for him to record one with them rather than the one-man-band-with-random-short-term-collaborators format he often goes with these days. They have just earned it having backed him up consistently on the road without any lineup changes for 16 years now pretty much non-stop! (They have been on maybe a track or two or three on each recent album like "New," "Memory Almost Full" and "Chaos and Creation" but that's been about it I think.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I hadn't read that about his band being on the album, if true I think that's great, I have been really rooting for him to record one with them rather than the one-man-band-with-random-short-term-collaborators format he often goes with these days. They have just earned it having backed him up consistently on the road without any lineup changes for 16 years now pretty much non-stop! (They have been on maybe a track or two or three on each recent album like "New," "Memory Almost Full" and "Chaos and Creation" but that's been about it I think.)

Agreed. One of my favorite records Paul's put out in the past 20 years is 2001's Driving Rain, which was his first collaboration with Abe Laboriel, Jr. and Rusty Anderson. As usual for him, there's some now-dated, in-vogue-at-the-time studio polish, but all the tracks have a killer band-grooving-in-the-room-together vibe, because that's mostly what they did.

Side note, the keyboard player on that album is Gabe Dixon, who plays some fiery, funky Hammond and Wurlitzer parts, which is fairly unusual for a Macca record. I guess he, unlike Abe and Rusty, opted out of the tour; Wix got the call, and the rest is history.

Gabe did play live with Paul at the Concert for New York City after 9/11, though, and really committed to the John Lennon "elbow" organ solo on "I'm Down." I can't find the video online anymore, but I know it's on the DVD.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Archived