Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some Advice? Portable Recording

Does anyone have any advice on portable recording? I'm looking for something that's lightweight, sounds decent (I'm not expecting Nagra here), runs on batteries, reliable, etc. I have access to an Audio Technica portable mic (I don't know the model # and didn't see it on the A-T web site).

Are there any mini-disc recorders that sound halfway decent? The ones I've heard sound thin, but they have been the thin, small consumer models. I'm not looking to make professional-quality field recordings, but I want it to be decent quality just the same. Is this possible at all? My budget is flexible at this point, although I would like to keep it under US$1000. Thanks!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not the one I have access to, but it seems like it might be okay...but it's primarily the recorder I'm concerned about. Thanks again.

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT822.html

Ken,

If you already have the mic, I would guess it would work just fine. I you were to buy somthing, I would recommend 2 mics and a Stereo mic bar. These are much more versitle.

I just bought a M-audio usb mic pre $150. I would think this makes a laptop a very nice 2 track recorder. I also had redco make me a stereo cable $35. I have a few options for mics, Ecm-80000 and Oktavas. I think this setup is pretty flexible. I have it in my reheasal space, I don't know how long laptop batteries would go with the usb preamp using up juice.

http://www.themayocks.com

Hear The Mayocks on Rhapsody and Itunes

Ken,

Here is one I saw at NAB on Monday.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/7.htm

You can give John Coffey a call at Coffey Sound on Friday and ask for a demo. He's At NAB until then.He's in Hollywood/the Valley.

Also the Fostex:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FOS-FR2--brand-98.html

Take Care,

Marti D. Humphrey C.A.S.

aka dr.sound

www.thedubstage.com

Ken -- You didn't give out much info, like how many tracks or if you just wanted 2. If you had a Powerbook I'd suggest a Metric Halo 2882. Eight very decent mic pres, but not the if you need a lot of gain. Their ULN-2 is the bomb though, but is only 2 channels. Very high quality pres. The sound is amazing. You won't need the extra DSP but you might regret not getting it.

Metric Halo Boxes

If you don't have a Mac laptop I don't know . . .

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Depending on your needs, you may find a single stereo mic is much easier to handle in the field than a bar-type holder (if you get a bar-type holder make sure it's adjustable... different situations may require different placement widths.)

The Sound Design 7 Series recroders look really cool but not very cheap. I'm thinking over a thou... oops, just looked them up: $3000 and $6000. A little out of your budget.

Have you considered a small prosumer recorder that works on either HD or flash ram? Or a portable DAT?

Sony has a portable DAT for $800. I'm not a big fan of Sony's products. And you would really want to check their warranty, as I know someone who had a similar unit who dropped it (after warranty expiration) and had Sony refuse to work on it (even for a fee).

But much cheaper and more flexible would be something like the Zoom PS204 Palm Studio , at $200, a 4 track recorder which even has a built-in "high quality condenser" mic w/ preamp (you can use an external mic, instruments, etc).

Call me a cheapskate, but I'd buy something like that in a second over the Sony.

(Other companies make similar devices. Root around ZZounds or Musicians Friend, Sam Ashe, etc, to find others.)

I know DAT is dead, but Tascam still makes a great portable DAT, the DAP1, that is kindof the industry standard for low end DAT use. It's about $800 on eBay, $1500 new. It's not SMPTE ready, like some of the higer end units for location recording synced to video, but neither is Minidisc but the Tascam has a S/PDIF I/O that you could clock to a mini DV camera if you had to. The Tascam also does phantom power.

I often wish I hadn't sold mine.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for not explaining more.

I want to make simple stereo recordings (no multitrack is necessary). The Zoom looks nice. I just need something simple, records stereo, runs on batteries, is small and simple to use, and sounds reasonably good, with audio quality that's a little more robust and full than a consumer mini-disc recorder.

I may consider the Core Sound binaural microphones, or use the stereo AT microphone. I would prefer not to have bars or anything, just one stereo mic. Other than that, just super simple and compact. I'll be using it mostly for traveling.

Just an idea: How about using a Mini-DV camera? Some of them have manual audio recording level and/or line input.

Should not be very hard to find a used camera in good condition, add a couple of fresh rechargeable NiMh cells and you are in business.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Just an idea: How about using a Mini-DV camera? Some of them have manual audio recording level and/or line input.

I actually thought of that before (although I didn't write it, so thanks! ). Do you feel that you could get decent audio with one of those AT (or similar) stereo mics feeding it? The AT mics run on batteries and don't require phantom power, so that'd be pretty easy...how's the sound quality, though?

Again, thanks for all these suggestions, Mats and everyone!

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I actually thought of that before (although I didn't write it, so thanks! ). Do you feel that you could get decent audio with one of those AT (or similar) stereo mics feeding it? The AT mics run on batteries and don't require phantom power, so that'd be pretty easy...how's the sound quality, though?

One thing to consider when recording to miniDV - OK 2 things: The recorder is pretty noisy (not just preamps - mechanical noise); and it will record at 48k. Not too big of issues, and not a bad way to go. It should work fine with the AT-822.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - has used microcassette to record vocals with.

Originally posted by F7sound -:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

One thing to consider when recording to miniDV - OK 2 things: The recorder is pretty noisy (not just preamps - mechanical noise); and it will record at 48k. Not too big of issues, and not a bad way to go. It should work fine with the AT-822.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - has used microcassette to record vocals with.

You're right there. A client, about 4 years ago, brought in an industrial video he produced for a carpet cleaning company in which he recorded the dialog with the onboard mic. He wanted me to clean out the mechanical noise. It was a disaster. He was a great editor and director, but like most directors, audio was an afterthought that he really didn't understand.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I use the DAP1 a lot and it's a nice unit.

I'd go with Henry's suggestion though. A MIO or ULN 2 sound better, are more flexible and would be way more useful for not much more cash. Also, you won't have to wait around when transferring into a DAW for editng. A MIO and laptop can be pretty bulky though, you can't really use them for recording on the move.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived