Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gonna Go To Ghana!!!

It looks like I am going to Ghana for the month of August!! I wanted some place I had never been before, some place very different from other places I'd been, some place that was friendly and safe, some place that was relatively small, and some place exotic, some place with great music and architecture. Ghana sounds like all this (I strongly considered Costa Rica again or going to Kashmir to visit my friend, but I really wanted some place *completely* different - it's my need to "de-countrify" myself :D )

A pleasant surprise is that I will be stopping off at Frankfurt, Germany on the way to Accra, Ghana (that's what I could get with the frequent

flier miles)! I was born there, and will visit some people there.

The only thing is that I was unable to secure a RT trip from LAX-Frankfurt via frequent flier miles (it's all booked already), so I will probably have to pay out of pocket for that, so I'll be hunting around for some low fares from LA to Frankfurt in the next week!!

I am really excited about this trip!! :thu:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, you should be!! The Ghanaians I've met absolutely ROCK. They think of themselves as special people, not in an arrogant way, but more like they're just inherently cool...and frankly, it's hard to argue with that .

I gotta tell you a story. My Mom had open heart surgery last summer at age 83. I was up taking care of her and trying to find some live-in help for when she was recuperating. I interviewed several people who I wouldn't trust to take care of a paperweight, let alone my mother. It looked like I was going to have to stay up there for at least weeks, manybe months.

Then I talked to this lady named Margaret, from Ghana. After talking with her for literally 10 seconds I could tell from her voice she was It. I picked her up, took her to my Mom's, and hired her.

Now, taking care of an 83-year-old lady recoving from a really serious surgery is not a piece of cake. Well, not for most people. But Margaret was unfailing positive, enjoyable, and an absolute gas to be around. I think she had a lot to do with my Mom's recovery.

The upshot of it was that they became really good pals. Even though my Mom doesn't need care any more, Margaret visits a lot and they talk on the phone. They talk about philosophy, life, and whatever for hours at a time. Margaret brought her family over to visit when they were in the US, and they all had a great time. She says she misses hanging out with Mom, but they've kept the connection going.

You're going to have a great time!!!! And you'll love the music.

I met a guy from Ghana who worked as a gas attendent in Annapolis, Maryland a few years back. Just that I remember that says something. He was such a genuine person that I stayed and talked to him through the window for way too long.

Have fun Ken! My buddy tells me you have to be really careful in the rivers there. Hippos! Hippos will tip your boat and...then I forget what happens.

Congrats Ken!!!

I've got a friend that travels worldwide, bachelor with money to boot that bought into a travel agency for the love of his travel adventures. He visited Ghana a few years back and brought back some incredible photos. He said that Ghana was among the most adventurous of ALL his travels... and this guy has been ALL OVER THE WORLD.

My parents also do tons of travel and I just received word that my step mother will be heading off to Bogota Colombia within the next month or so. I'm very envious of all their travels because my father is a 30year Airline Mechanic retiree who flies for the sake of putting in his time. FREE, in most instances. I got to do quite a bit of flying as a kid, although I never went outside of US borders when flying. I haven't had the opportunity (or the funds) to fly nearly as much in my adult life; I miss it. However, my family and I do enjoy road trips.

Have fun over there and be sure to take lots of pictures.

Have a good one, Ken! You sound like the kind of guy who gives to a place as much as he takes, so that's cool, and the best kind of travelling. And some pics on your site would be great. I've been working recently with a Ghanaian musician, who drums through an old Space Echo whilst ad-libbing mad songs. He's been listening to a lot of Lee Perry, and definitely has The Vibe.

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

Thanks, everyone! I am really excited about it. It's a relatively small country but it has a lot of different terrain and people in that tiny bit. It even has a bit of savannah, it has a beautiful Atlantic coast, some awesome-looking clay-and-branch mosques in the North, a few castles left from colonialism, monkey sanctuaries, lakes,, bird-watching, ultra-classy friendly people of course (as many of you have already experienced), and so much more. The more I read about it, the more fascinating and welcoming it seems to be. Oh, and the food and music are awesome.

So the music - well, they're probably best known for Ghanian drumming, but I have several field recordings of the Ewe people, who play this lively, fast, and unique-sounding sort of music that I cannot even describe. It's very frenetic and utterly riveting to my ears. I don't know if a lot of you like field recordings. They're an acquired taste since they're often quite raw, but there's a special quality that I like about great field recordings, especially when the music is THIS good.

I've met two people who have come back from there (one lived there for a year) and just raved about the place, saying that they wanted to back, and saying how wonderful the people were there. It sounds like the perfect trip. I'll get a lot of culture, and some beach relaxation in as well.

I again seriously considered Costa Rica, but I think a couple of people describing the place and plus that I've never experienced any cultures really similar to Ghana culture tipped the scales towards Ghana for me.

I forgot - I'm definitely taking lots of pictures and then inviting you all over to my house to look at my photo albums. Well, okay, that's impractical, so I'll put it up on my Virtual Photo Album for you to look at at your own leisure.

I am toying around with the idea of recording some stuff while I'm there, but don't know about this yet. I'll probably have to get some stuff....that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Archived