Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting local trade offer - my FA-07 for a Motif XF7?

jeffincltnc

I was asked by another local player if I wanted to do a straight trade of my Roland FA-07 for his Motif XF7 Special Edition (the white version).

On paper, this seems like something to consider. I like the FA-07 in many ways as the keys feel good, it's light/portable, and there is a good feature set for the money.

It's very plastic and not an impressive build quality, but that's ok for what it is. I am just thinking that on paper, swapping for a Motif XF7 might be a favorable trade for me and the FA-07 is not something I have a deep emotional attachment to or isn't replaceable with something else. I would have loved to have a Kronos, Montage, PC3K or Nord in that second tier spot if money was no issue so this has my eye.

I do value other people's opinions, so I'm curious what the thoughts are from the peanut gallery. I've never owned a Yamaha workstation or synth because they seem complicated, but I do like their stage pianos. I am sure Motif sounds are pretty good and in the same league as my Roland -- some better, some not better, but good variety of rompler sounds.

What would you think of the trade offer if it were you?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a no brainer but thats just my opinion. Here's my thoughts as I've had\have both:

FA-07

I like it for the most part. It's light so it's perfect for an gigs where I have to climb stairs etc. It has a great arsenal of sounds and expandable via the Axial website. What I don't like is the keybed, I mean its light years ahead of its 61 key counterpart and it's fine for playing clav/synth sounds but I don't like playing piano on it. Even with the velocity adjusted I can't get a nice feel from it. Again YMMV.

It has sample pads which I use occasionally for triggering samples as well as selecting patches. Quite useful.

XF7

I've had an XF8 and a MOXF8 which has same/similar setup to the XF7.

Soundwise I really like the Motif sounds. Ive had many models over the years. It's also expandable with the Flash rom.

It's a good bit heavier than the FA-07 which is great when it comes to build quality but not as portable.

Has plenty of sliders for tweaking and great for bringing in layers/splits etc.

For me keyed is far superior to the FA-07. Again I don't have an XF7 but I've played it many times and I would be happy playing piano on it. Obviously I would prefer weighted keys if I had a choice but if its a regular gig that entails 40% piano and the remainder Hammond, Rhodes, clav, strings, brass etc I could live with it.

Not sure if this helps? In terms of sounds I think both are similar and both have a means of expansion. Keyed is superior on the Yamaha but then it is heavier. All depends on your criteria for gigging.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

If I could deal with the additional travel weight/size, I'd take that trade in an instant.

As everyone says, while you may like the keys on the Roland, the Yamaha's are better. Feel is subjective, but I wouldn't expect to see much disagreement there.

I also think most Yamaha rompler sounds are stronger, you've got a newer, larger (741 mb) wave set (compared to the Roland's 18 year old 64 mb XV-5080 sound set, plus the additional 128 mb available for the SRX expansions), though Roland has some advantages in VA synth sounds, clonewheel organ (nothing like your Legend Live, though), and its SuperNatural instruments (acoustic/rhodes/wurli pianos, clav, acoustic and electric basses, acoustic guitar, ensemble strings... though in some cases, I'd still prefer Yamaha sounds). Adding flash cards further greatly expands the potential sound palette of the Yamaha.

In addition to the light weight, other Roland advantages would be the sample pads, and a more complete implementation of patch remain... Both allow you to seamlessly switch among sets of 16 sounds that you define (Studio Set on Roland, Mix on Yamaha); neither allow you to seamlessly switch between your different saved sets of sound combinations (Studio Set on Roland; Mix or Performance on Yamaha); but unlike Yamaha, Roland does allow you to seamlessly switch among most single sounds (Tones on Roland, Voices on Yamaha). Roland's on-screen interface is snappier, too. But overall, I think Yamaha sounds better and is way more flexible. And since you're talking about the white one, it's also easier to manipulate in sub-optimal lighting conditions.

Yes, Yamaha is more complicated, though once you learn how to do what you need, some things can be easier. For example, all the Yamaha patch select buttons can make patch navigation much quicker, without having to scroll. Roland also lets you use its sample pads as a number pad to minimize that scrolling, but I think that's still more cumbersome, plus it gets in the way of using the pads for other things (like part select), and it's not easy to switch what those pads do on the fly because it requires menu diving. (Like Roland's pads, Yamaha has a set of 16 buttons that can be switched to perform numerous functions, but you can change their functions with direct front panel buttons, no menu diving.) For real-time control, instead of 6 multi-function knobs on the Roland, Yamaha gives you 8 multi-function knobs plus 8 sliders. Also quick front panel access to turning effects on and off, and much more pedal flexibility. Aftertouch, too. Bottom line is, once you learn your way around it, I'd say Yamaha is quicker and more flexible for live performance than the Roland is, except for on-the-fly split/layer. Yamaha has better MIDI functionality, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sounds like a good deal to me. The only qualms I'd have about the Motif XF7 is that Yamaha's semi-weighted keybeds have narrower keys than other manufacturers. It doesn't seem to bother a lot of people, but it did me.

Here's another thread on that subject: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2659457/Piano_player_bugging_out_with_

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

I've owned both, yamaha has better acoustic sounds but prefer the synth sounds on the Roland, roland is more intuitive and makes a good midi controller IMO. Theres seems to be something missing for synth on the Motif,.. in the mix they kinda sound thin. All subjective I guess.. I sold a Montage to get an FA07... the Montage was better for FM, acoustic sounds, but Roland quicker to get around, more flexible midi wise, and better synth sounds IMO. I also have a Forte so as an all in one board the Montage would probably be better stand alone.

I've owned both, yamaha has better acoustic sounds but prefer the synth sounds on the Roland, roland is more intuitive and makes a good midi controller IMO.

Yes, VA synth is an area where Roland has an advantage.

Though as I discussed, while Roland is more immediately intuitive, once you learn how to do what you want on the Yamaha, it can actually be easier to use in actual performance, as well as being much more flexible in what you can do in the first place. But you will have to put in a bit more time up front, and ask questions online because you can't count on being able to figure things out from the manuals. The online resources are good, though, between Motifator and Yamaha's own forum.

I think I have to give Yamaha the edge over the Roland on the MIDI controller functions, though. At least for up to four zones. Roland lets you use pitch/mod, 3 foot controllers, 2 switches, 6 knobs, d-beam. Yamaha lets you use pitch/mod, 4 foot controllers, 2 switches, 8 knobs, 8 faders, aftertouch, ribbon. But also--and I'm not sure about this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong--I think if you set up a 4-zone MIDI program, the Yamaha knobs and faders can send different CC's on each zone, and they can also send out different CCs on each MIDI program (master) you set up, whereas I think on the Roland, the MIDI knob assignment is global, you can't alter it for different zones or even different programs (studio sets). OTOH, if you are looking to control 5 to 16 channels of MIDI, then I believe Roland has the edge.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah guess theres more midi controllers on the Yamaha, but on the Roland I love the new options for switch groups, meaning you can use only one Studio Set(equiv to Performance on Yamaha) and switch any combination of the 16 channels, also having an insert effect per channel is great, I love it that I dont have to sacfrice channel DSP on large setups.

One of my other favourite things to do on the roland, is use a pedal on my Kurzweil to trigger samples or chords on the Roland, its just very quick. In a couple of seconds i can record a live riff, arp or even vocal sample of myself with or without effects assign is to a pad, then trigger it during a song.

I always found limitations when on the Montage, def not as easy midi wise to accomplish things i would think of.

Love the FA for what i do anyway (covers)

I have an FA08 and a XF7. If your looking at $$$ on resale, take the trade. XF build is all quality. For me i love the FA's. If I had the Forte 7 like you already have i would keep the FA07. If you didn't have the Forte and were looking for a studio instrument, probably the XF. For ease of use and in a live situation I prefer my FA.

Cheers

on the Roland I love the new options for switch groups, meaning you can use only one Studio Set(equiv to Performance on Yamaha) and switch any combination of the 16 channels

You can do the same thing on the Yamaha. But it's not a Performance (which support only 4 sounds, IIRC), you'd have to use a Mix (which supports 16, same as a Studio set, with the same kind of switching). But yeah, that's the kind of thing that makes the Yamaha more complicated, the different modes!

also having an insert effect per channel is great, I love it that I dont have to sacfrice channel DSP on large setups.

Yes, though this is not so much a "better" or "worse" as a "different." The Roland and Yamaha both give you up to 16 simultaneous effects. The Roland lets you put them on all 16 channels, but only lets you put one effect on a channel/tone. The Yamaha only lets you put them on 8 channels, but you can put two effects on each channel/voice.

My two cents:

I had an FA-07 for a while. It looked perfect for me as a one-board solution. As I was programming and setting it up for live use, things started to south (again, for me). Like a true "jack of all trades", it was the master of none. Piano sounds were OK. Rhodes were awful.Wurly was sub-par. Clavs were OK. Brass/Strings/other rompler stuff were pretty good. Organ was not so hot - especially the the interface. Sampler is a toy. Then came time to play out with it, and the key-bed just started to show its true colors in the heat of battle. At first I thought it was great feeling synth action, but later I realized piano-type sounds were just not reacting correctly - where your hands are vertically on the keys makes a big difference in the velocity needed to sound.

Take the Yamaha and run.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I had an FA-07 for a while. It looked perfect for me as a one-board solution. As I was programming and setting it up for live use, things started to south (again, for me). Like a true "jack of all trades", it was the master of none. Piano sounds were OK. Rhodes were awful.Wurly was sub-par. Clavs were OK. Brass/Strings/other rompler stuff were pretty good. Organ was not so hot - especially the the interface. Sampler is a toy. Then came time to play out with it, and the key-bed just started to show its true colors in the heat of battle. At first I thought it was great feeling synth action, but later I realized piano-type sounds were just not reacting correctly - where your hands are vertically on the keys makes a big difference in the velocity needed to sound.

My take on the FA-07 is similar. I was considering it as an alternative to the Artis7 because it was 10 lbs lighter. But I wanted it to be able to serve as both a "second-tier" and also as an "only" board for the occasional situation were I need one quick-setup board for everything, and its action for piano for the latter situation is what killed it for me. Of course I don't expect hammer action responsiveness in this situation, but I found it irritating to play even compared to some other non-hammer boards, for exactly the reason you describe. I also basically agree with your eval of its sonic qualities. Overall, I thought the Kurz sounded better, though there were some sounds where I preferred Roland.

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering getting an FA-06 but at 4 years old I am wondering if Roland will introduce something new this fall. I currently have had a Juno Gi that I used more for recording than the sounds- and at this point like my Krome better.

I liked the FA acoustic pianos and organs more than those on the Gi which makes sense. However, I had a motif original and would think that would be better for acoustic sounds- however I found the original motif keybed to be stronger than subsequent models.

I was considering getting an FA-06 but at 4 years old I am wondering if Roland will introduce something new this fall. I currently have had a Juno Gi that I used more for recording than the sounds- and at this point like my Krome better.

I liked the FA acoustic pianos and organs more than those on the Gi which makes sense. However, I had a motif original and would think that would be better for acoustic sounds- however I found the original motif keybed to be stronger than subsequent models.

no one can predict a new Roland keyboard. Jan NAMM is historically new product announcement time.

The FA-06 does have a low budget keybed, which many established keyboardists do not like. That would be step 1 to solve, as a preference.

The 06 is also low cost- for a standalone work station(with some limitations). Buying a good condition used 06 would be a good hedge on cost. Many out there, and occasionally 1 will appear on local craigslist.

I like my 07 but I also midi my Kronos 88 to it. Working with velocity adjustments helps

the FA AP's.

More new sounds are freely available for the FA and its DAW integration is quite good.

The Roland + community support is excellent.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived