Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: More Guitar Fever - the vintage look

Jazz+

Over the past 2 weeks I bought three iconic guitars and a Beatle bass. Also, a newly designed 2018 Fender Blues Junior 4 tube amp. I love looking at them and practicing ii V I, blues, major scales, bossa nova, standards, and The Beatles. They are more attractive to look at than keyboards. I hang them on the wall like artworks.

de07ef2826286814703045185da36252.jpge290ed60021604e32fe23d8bba96f2d0--gibson-guitars-bass-guitars.jpg5028994feb6215166ab059dadf65fc68--violin-bass.jpg12826952_800.jpg

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent this Les Paul standard back, it was overkill. It is really a young mans heavy weight rock guitar. I had the same color Les Paul in high school and thought I wanted it back in my old age... but I can live without it. It's like a bazooka.

http://images.epiphone.com/News/Features/2016/PlusTop-PRO/N_120116D4.jpg

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I suppose if we're sharing guitar purchases, it's been since late October but I never posted it here, only on the Guitar forum. I picked these up at Music Go Round:

http://www.ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/Guitars.jpg

Its a MIM HSS strat and a Takamine Jasmine acoustic. These were added to my existing collection that included an Epiphone Explorer, Squire Mini Strat (for the kids), Steinberger XL2 bass, and Michael Kelly Electric-Acoustic Bass. A few months ago I also picked up a Line 6 Spider V30 for noodling around the house (I run direct live).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I suppose if we're sharing guitar purchases, it's been since late October but I never posted it here, only on the Guitar forum. I picked these up at Music Go Round:

Its a MIM HSS strat and a Takamine Jasmine acoustic. These were added to my existing collection that included an Epiphone Explorer, Squire Mini Strat (for the kids), Steinberger XL2 bass, and Michael Kelly Electric-Acoustic Bass. A few months ago I also picked up a Line 6 Spider V30 for noodling around the house (I run direct live).

Actually, I recognize that picture from the "Your Latest Purchase (music related)" thread on December 1st.

Well, since I see Mighty Motif Max went there, I will, too. This was actually about a month ago, but my last musical purchase:

Takamine Jasmine cutaway acoustic and a Fender MIM HSS Strat....both used at Music Go Round. $299 for the acoustic (included case) and $399 for the strat. They threw in a case for the Strat for free since I bought both. My only guitar before this was my Epiphone Explorer. I've enjoyed having the Acoustic sit around since I can just pick it up and play anytime without dragging out gear and plugging in.

That being said, nice instruments. :2thu:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

And my guitar which I shared on the latest purchase thread was bought last November, but I wasn't able to pick it up until the beginning of January. It's a Yamaha Pacifica 112V. I like it a lot. I've never played guitar before, so it's something new to learn. :)

IMG_0001.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Actually, I recognize that picture from the "Your Latest Purchase (music related)" thread on December 1st.

Good memory - I thought I only posted it on the Guitar forum.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Always thought of banjos as the arp players of the guitar world.

At Big Ears 2018, I learned that there are actually 2 major styles of banjo playing. It was during a performance/talk presented by Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn. Washburn is a master (mistress?) of the Clawhammer Style, known for banjo rolls and rhythms. She said when she was single, she put up a dating ad looking for a single male Clawhammer player, but got stuck with Bela Fleck instead. Fleck, who is now her husband, is a master of 3-Finger Style, known for fast bluegrass soloing runs. He said he was looking for a female 3-Finger stylist to date but found Abigtail instead.

Their show was entertaining, adorable, and awe-inspiring all at once.

I always liked the 335 for rock play. Semi-hollows feedback more and causes greater sustain.... I like how they talk back to the amp. But they suit me much less now that I'm old fat. My belly throws the angle off. I still take an old Korean Sheraton II to bars gigs as a backup but I've been playing these 600 series Yamaha Pacificas that I've modded. I like to tinker and build too much. If its a Country gig I take Teles and one of the Pacificas for the heavy stuff. Modern Counrty tones are very aggressive .... I mean the gain is Metallica level.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My new semi-hollow - D'Angelico EX-SS Deluxe. Same color as this one but the blue is actually darker in person.

29717641_1415769211902527_3440758249979117568_n.jpg

There's a block under the bridge, and another block going towards the neck, but there's a gap between the two blocks. When I look into an f-hole, I can almost see the other one through the gap. Despite the lack of center block, the sustain is surprisingly good.

Unplugged, it's almost as loud as a fully hollow jazz box.

The 6-position switch is intuitive to use. The "single coil" sounds won't fool Strat diehards, but they're nice extra tonal colors to have.

Archived