Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange Crush CR60C or 35RT?

BuckW

I looked into looper pedals. The FlashbackX4 with all positive reviews also has delay so that compliments my Orange CR120C (with reverb) nicely.

Now I can play some rhythm chords, loop them, and practice and/or improvise some melody or lead line on top of it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I looked into looper pedals. The FlashbackX4 with all positive reviews also has delay so that compliments my Orange CR120C (with reverb) nicely.

Now I can play some rhythm chords, loop them, and practice and/or improvise some melody or lead line on top of it.

You'll have a LOT of fun with all that! Plus, that can be a useful and inspiring compositional device. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

+1,000 on the looper. I have an older Digitech that works great. With the expanded card that I picked up at Office Max, I can record up to 99 complete songs. They are fantastic practice tools and can be used for writing new chord patterns, music, etc. You can overdub your adlibs over the chords and do all kinds of neat tricks...you can record a dry signal and while playing it back through your amp, you can go over and work the setting knobs on the amp and on your other pedals...Very cool piece of equipment! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I like the JamMan over the Boss as with the Boss you get 3 hours of recording time. The JamMan with the card gets 32 hours on board. You can offload to a computer with either one. For Short loops the Boss will work just fine. Both have 99 locations. Boss Pedals are very well made...but the Digitech JamMan is a solid piece of quality too. The smaller cheaper version I listed above will fit easier on the pedal board and take up less space. But if you double the price and get the larger JamMan you'll be off to the races with more whistles and bells... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Larryz - no knock on the Digitech gear, I have the smallest model, the Express XT, and like it very much. A friend with a Guitar Synth+Multi-FX rig much like mine uses a small bank of Digitech Loopers, all Synced together, and prefers that over any larger-scale single Loopers.

My thing, personally, is that I try to avoid any device that relies on external data storage media, for fear that media itself will go out of circulation.

I have a collection of otherwise extinct/orphaned storage cards & discs, for different Synths & Samplers I've used through the years, and a stash of back-up batteries for the cards that need them. I've also been very lucky in stumbling across dedicated memory cards for some of my old Synths, like the QS8. They're not usually cheap, nor easy to find. I'm very happy being able to do my back-ups and downloads with just one USB or MIDI cable.

Also, IME, unless you're storing full 20-minute or half-hour sets of backing tracks in your Looper, you're unlikely to need even an hour's worth of memory for any given performance. If you are using a Looper as your back-up band, you should absolutely back up all that data to your computer, as well.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@Winston, I would agree with the times they are a changing at all times, with regard to storage chips, cards, tapes, discs, techie advances, etc. No reason to toss out the old as long as it's still working. You probably have a few cassette tapes that will still play from back in the day. I have saved a few things on my computer as back up from the looper and agree having the amount of storage on todays' computers, clouds, etc., is a good idea for your music files as you can unload 99 complete songs on to your hard drive and start again on the looper...and switch them in and out endlessly.

On the card that came with my digitech looper, it would hold about 10 complete songs. If you are just doing short loops that would be all you would ever need timewise, but you would only do about one complete set of complete songs before running out of time. The smaller storage card came in very handy though as my buddy had the same looper and card which we could exchange and practice 10 of each others complete songs. With the expansion cards we can have 99 complete songs. This would be two nights worth of 4 45 minute song sets ready for live performances or just to practice at home with. Or just to record endless short clip ideas. Very handy.

I you are doing short loops live with just little tidbits being used at a time, 3 hours with no card would serve you quite well and have a ton of material under foot. The smaller versions like the two we are describing take up less room on the pedal board too. But with all that said, I found my best use of the looper is for practice at home and writing or capturing ideas. I also record my complete renditions of songs and play them back to see if I need to correct my chords and vocals. I decide if the songs should stay on my list if they don't sound right to me. I could do live performances too, not saving anything and doing everything live with or without overdubs. I would sing and play the verse/chorus while recording one time through vocally with the rhythm guitar being all that was recorded. Then when the lead would come up I would kick in the looper and play a verse/chorus lead over the rhythm and then kick it back out. Then I would erase and start singing the next tune while recording the verse/chorus rhythm guitar again. I made no secret of it and would show the audience it was all being done right before their eyes. It really was me playing it! Great solo routine, but I felt awkward doing it. So if I wanted to I could just record the whole song and when the lead came up I didn't have to tap dance. You're a better tap dancer than I am (meaning pedal user). I could describe things that I use about 8 hours to record about 90 songs and leave a lot of what I can do out of the discussion with regard to setting my guitar, amp, PA, pedals, sound effects, yada yada yada. The uses are endless and only limited by the imagination of the user. So I'll cut it short now LOL! I find the looper an excellent tool and highly recommend them to all our forumites! The Boss and/or the Digie are great products... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

@Larryz - +1, brother. Even if someone isn't into Looping, as such, a compact Looper makes a great practice tool and sonic sketchbook. Trying out a solo? Play the rhythm part into your Looper, then play over it. Just came up with a great little riff, but need to stop playing, and tend to work, family, home? Capture your riff in the Looper, and save it for later.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Archived