Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange Crush CR60C or 35RT?

BuckW

Keyboard player new to guitar. I've bought a used PRS semi hollow body with 2 humbuckers.

Now I'm deciding on an amp. Favorite I've tried with the PRS is the Orange Crush CR60C though I'd considering the Orange Crush 35RT as well.

Deciding factor will be 10" vs. 12" Voice of the World speaker tone.

Opinions?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with the CR60C if both amps are within your budget. The 35RT $260 vs the CR60C @ $500. Both are SS amps and 10 vs 12" speakers. For SS I like the extra wattage and the 12" speaker. The 35RT at 25lbs would be the best choice for bedroom application and easy to pack around. The CR60C is within my weight limit consideration at 44lbs and will keep up with larger venues like small clubs, etc. Both have reverb which is a must have for me...

The bottom line is which one sounds best to you for the vibe you like to play best and for the PRS guitar you have already picked out. Orange amps have a good quality reputation and are a good choice no matter which one you go with...

These are just a few thoughts without ever having/playing through one, as I'm more of a Fender guy. Test them both out at a local GC and see if they sound like the demos, if they buzz, etc. You may not need reverb, care about wattage, care about weight, etc., either one would make a great practice amp and/or can be mic'ed for larger venues. You can also bring a guitar buddy with you when you check them out if you are new to the guitar speaker tone world...good luck and have fun with it! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I think you'll be a happy camper with the 60. I forgot to ask if you took your guitar with you or if they had one on the rack to try through the amp? If not, you may want to plug your guitar into it before laying the cash on them...Have fun with it and keep us posted on how you like it, if you decide to purchase one... :thu:
Take care, Larryz

If I was to get a lower budget Non-Tube Amp I would strongly consider a Katana. .... Actually I'm considering picking up a 100 watt Katana. They are really versatile. For me I could actually play guitar through it and its primary use would be a lightweight backup pedal steel amp. A lot of steelers are digging the Katana right now ... for the price and because we are all older than dirt. Right now I carry two separate HEAVY amps on my Country gigs. I could maybe kill two birds with one stone.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

(bites tongue to stop from recommending similarly priced tube amp... "guitarist disease.")

+1 I would prefer a Fender HRD and have caught the tube-disease...but I only had two choices LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I'm not a fan of the Fender Blues Jr. either. To get into the Hot Rod Deluxe 112 in the $400 price range, you would have to buy a used one. They are pretty much clean playing amps (which I like best). To get into some decent dirt, you would have to pick up a pedal or two...The Orange should do the job quite well and I think the price is right for a new amp. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

YouTube is a great place to find all kinds of lessons, teachers, DVD's, etc. There is no substitute for a good local teacher to get you started. You can find a chord reference book at any local GC or on-line, which will come in handy.

Since you are a keyboard player, you will have a head start getting into the guitar world. Pick on some songs you already know and like to play. Look up the originals on Chordie.com and on YouTube. Then call them up on YouTube again and add the words "guitar lesson". You'll pop up all kinds of teachers that will show you how to play the songs, leads, chords, etc. Most of them have sites you can visit and subscribe to, DVD lessons, music print outs (sheet and tabs), scales, theory, etc. There are tons of ways to get started and you will discover more and more as time goes by on-line, in books and DVD's, etc. The great thing about DVD's is you can repeat the lesson forever and refresh your memory. Each of us has music that we like to play and sing along with. The 1st thing I would do is look into yourself, find what pushes your buttons and go from there. Have fun with it! It's going to be a long journey, and a rewarding one! :cool:

ps. type in "Marty music" on YouTube and have a look-see at the list that comes up. Here's one:

[video:youtube]

He's just one of 100's that does little lessons from beginner to pro, and on certain songs that interest players. You'll find many others and land on one that you like by researching songs that you like...

Take care, Larryz

You got a great price on that tube amp P90! They are $699 on Sweetwater right now and they get great reviews. 53lbs is a little heavy weight wise, but well worth the effort of packing around to gigs. This would be a great amp in your price range BuckW, while it's on sale! Better be quick if interested... :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Any recommendations regarding guitar learning videos, tutorials,

and/or books?

Much obliged!

This, straight-up. Even if you have no intention of digging into the guts of an Amp, this book is still your guide to the general care and feeding. Every Music store I've worked in, and every repair shop I've seen, had a copy among their reference books. How To Service Your Own Tube Amp

As far a general purpose Guitar books, I don't recommend this as an instructional guide, but as a general guidebook. Nice Chord guide, very good section on maintenance and repairs, somewhat behind-the-times guide to Guitar effects and electronics, but more than adequate. The Guitar Handbook - Ralph Denyer

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm not a fan of the Fender Blues Jr. either. To get into the Hot Rod Deluxe 112 in the $400 price range, you would have to buy a used one. They are pretty much clean playing amps (which I like best). To get into some decent dirt, you would have to pick up a pedal or two...The Orange should do the job quite well and I think the price is right for a new amp. :cool:

My Blues Jr. works very well with my pedal board in front with compression.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Didn't mean to diss your Jr. Delta. They are great little practice amps and can be mic'ed for larger venues and used as monitors. My buddy has one and I plugged into it once. It just didn't wow me like the HRD does. I had a little 30watt SS Pig Nose that I would put a compressor and an OD/Dist in front of and it would blow the doors off the room and keep up with the drums and bass! So +1 on the pedal board taking up any slack! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

YT is a great resource (almost too great) for lessons, etc, but I suggest that y'try filtering any suggestions or searches by the musical styles or artists covers that you prefer currently.

That'll trim the mass of Everybody Offering You A Lesson In How To Play.

d=halfnote

(bites tongue to stop from recommending similarly priced tube amp... "guitarist disease.")

Indeed.

Any recommendations regarding guitar learning videos, tutorials,

and/or books?

Much obliged!

Chris Juergensen's Lessons 'site

HIGHLY recommended! :cool:

Show your support - These lessons are and will always be free of charge and are paid for solely by CD and book royalties. So rather than giving a donation, help support them by ordering Chris' newest CD or book today, you'll be happy you did and you will be supporting not only this site and these lessons and articles but independent music. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to e-mail Chris anytime. You can also get a newsletter sent to you everytime a new lesson is posted.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Didn't mean to diss your Jr. Delta. They are great little practice amps and can be mic'ed for larger venues and used as monitors. My buddy has one and I plugged into it once. It just didn't wow me like the HRD does. I had a little 30watt SS Pig Nose that I would put a compressor and an OD/Dist in front of and it would blow the doors off the room and keep up with the drums and bass! So +1 on the pedal board taking up any slack! :cool:

No offense taken Larryz. I failed to mention that I did upgrade the tubes a few years ago which also helped. I also upgraded the tubes in my Blackstar two years ago.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

I checked out the Blackstar HT Club 40 MKII at gc ($699), they had no MKI to try out.

I still favour the Orange Crush CR60C. It is quicker and easier to get the sound you want at the volume you want. Admittedly this is but the opinion of a guitar neophyte.

The Blackstar link doesn't say but I suspect it is MKI because the price is really low.

The 35RT came in today and I compared it to the CR60C. The 35RT had a better clean channel sound; the CR60C had the better dirty channel sound. The CR60C had better reverb with plate, hall, and spring settings. The 35RT only had one setting (spring?).

I found a better clean sound with the CR60C by using the dirty channel and backing off the gain; so that's what I went with.

The 35RT came in today and I compared it to the CR60C. The 35RT had a better clean channel sound; the CR60C had the better dirty channel sound. The CR60C had better reverb with plate, hall, and spring settings. The 35RT only had one setting (spring?).

I found a better clean sound with the CR60C by using the dirty channel and backing off the gain; so that's what I went with.

Sounds like a win-win all-around! And, in using the CR60c's dirt-channel that way for clean tones, you've also taken a first step on a path of an identifiable personal approach and sound. Try also adjusting your guitar's volume-controls and your "touch" to further dynamically change from dirtier to cleaner tones; you may find that you can raise the gain-knob a little and still get those cleaner tones by rolling back your guitar's volume and softening your picking-hand attack.

And ultimately, you may have also discovered what one of the best things about many tube-amps is- using that same approach, with even greater responsiveness from tube-amps than your solid-state amp. That is, there's even more of that on-tap with a good tube-amp, and you may eventually find that you'll enjoy and want that.

Also, please let me know how you like Chris Juergensen's Lessons 'site.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I started out using that approach with solid state amps and it worked beautifully... I didn't have "dirt" pedals, I just set the amp for overdrive and backed off the volume unless solo-ing. I carried it with me into the tube amp and cascading gain dirt pedal world... even with a Flying Dragon as a clean boost (and using the flying dragon for a different clean sound with that technique gives great results, too). I use a volume pedal, too, for yet another way of doing that same thing. I still love my Vox Pathfinder and zT Lunchbox, Jr. But yeah, once I got into the tube world there's just an extra dimension or something that I've become addicted to...

Just for gits and shiggles I tried out my PRS with a Orange Rocker 15 with 10" open back AND the Orange PPC112C 1X12 CAB (closed back 12). My thought being I can (again) see what I might be missing out about tube amps as well as pairing a closed back and an open back; one 10" the other closed back 12" for a possible "best of both worlds".

It sounded great but there is no reverb and it did seem to require more fiddling to get a good clean sound as well as a good dirty sound both at just the right balance of volumes.

I know I could just get a reverb pedal but I'd rather not have to.

Incidentally the PPC112C is clearly marked to have a voice of the world 12". I was under the impression the PPC112C had a Celestion 12". Did Orange quietly change that?

I also ordered the Orange CR120C which has 2x12s to see how I like that. It may be too heavy but I fell in love with this demo.

Orange CR120C

vs.

Orange CR60C + PPC112C 1X12 CAB

(clean channel too weak)

vs.

Orange CR120H + PPC212-C 2X12 CAB

(cab too heavy)

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER:

Orange CR120C

I had never heard of voice of the world speakers so I looked them up. The only 212 cabinet they come in, according to the Orange website, is the Jim Root signature model. They are custom made for Orange, probably by Celestion.

My bad BuckW, you where talking about the 112. The 112, according to the website, is supposed to have a vintage 30. They may have changed and not updated their website. I hope that is the reason, because other one is poor quality control.

Jenny S.

Archived