Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

They Are Kidding Right?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nawledge:

how much crack do you have to smoke before you need one of these

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=21993&Category=Stands

You know, I saw a band where the guitar player had a bottle holder for his umm water bottle on it. I thought, now that's something I could use. Actually, I'd just rather use the hat that holds 2 umm water bottles with the straws that come right down to your mouth. :wave:

You guys can laugh, but I've worked around two of these stands (Classic Fire and Wildhorse bases) on Tim McGraw's production. True, they're wildly expensive, but if you have the bucks and want a fairly unique look, these stands really deliver. Plus, they have Ultimate's pistol grip height adjustment which works like a dream, and can be had on several stands for less than $50. Not nearly as pretty, but decent looking and highly functional. I mean, why do enthusiasts buy Harley-Davidson motorcycles when better quality motorcycles can be had for 2/3 or even 1/2 the price? If you can afford the bling-bling.... ;):D And, frankly, when I finally found the Colorado Custom retail prices, I never imagined you could get them for $800. That IS a great price!

BTW - How much per square foot, do you think Tim McGraw paid for his custom stage? A wild mic stand, even if he paid for it (and Lord knows it could just as easily have been given as an endorsement), is a tiny add-on to the production costs that most probably will never need replacing. It's different when 14 trucks and buses carry your production, rather than a van or two. ;)

http://www.8thstreet.com/images/mc66b.jpghttp://www.8thstreet.com/images/ultimate-mc77b.jpg

Whether you buy the Colorado Custom MC-66B or MC-77B Freedom, quick release straight stands, they will neither slip nor overtighten at critical times when you can't be onstage. (As a tech, that is. As a musician, you can easily handle height snafus yourself. :thu: ) I speak from experience! I purchased two used Ultimate MC-77's (stacking, heavy base with the quick release) for Lila McCann in 1999. In the middle of a run of festivals a local tech screwed me by overtightening her stand at the wrong height. (He "helped" me after I'd preset it the way I wanted it. :mad: ) The first song was a trainwreck as she kept glaring at me, wondering why

1. The mic stand was not set properly
  2. She couldn't adjust it herself.

:rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'll still take my trusty ol' Atlas with the rusty base. That ol rusty base is kinda like my trademark...that thing has been with me for every gig since I can remember.

Come to think of it, I can't remember buying it. Someone either gave it to me or it somehow worked its way into my gear.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by kylen:

hehe - rusty bases are cool, and you don't really buy mic stands they just kinda come 'under your care' for a while - till the next band when everyone trades cables and stands again...

:D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Seriously, If I were a vocalist I'd definitely own at least one MC-66B and one MC-77B. I vastly prefer the lightweight (folding) tripod of the 66, but for outdoor gigs, where wind can become a factor, you'd need either a sandbag or a heavy base. ;)

It was fun, messing around sometimes when there was no sales traffic at MARS, to pickup an MC-66 and play humungous-ego-rock-star, swinging and spinning the mic stand around. at about 3-4 lbs. tops, the 66 is a Steven Tyler-dream stand from heaven. :D

(Oops! Did I really admit to doing that? :o )

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Super 8:

Wasn't it Julian Cope who had that mic stand that he used to climb onto to sing?

It's only worth the 800 bucks if you can climb on it. :thu:

I saw Howard Devoto and Magazine around '79 or '80(?) and he performed the whole first number perched on a little stand welded onto his mic stand. Or something. Seems to me all the stage lights were down except for a baby spot that opened up on him hunkered down into this little ball clining to the middle of the stand. As the music opened up he kind of unfurled in this spidery fashion. Perfectly in keeping with his musical persona...

But, anyhow, I'm with whoever said if you smoke crack you can't afford a mic stand like the one in the online catalog. I think those are strictly for the guys who are selling the crack. And, of course, if it wasn't for those guys, big portions of the music biz would probably dry up and blow away. No puns intended.

Originally posted by Tedster:

That'd make a great commercial, Neil.

But, actually, Steven Tyler usually uses a mic "stand" with no base, and a bandana tied around it, I believe... :D

He had some kind of tripod base when I worked the concert back in 1997. I was in the truss above him, so I had a really good view of it along with his teleprompter screen. (Which was hidden from audience view.) Don't know what he uses these days.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Tedster:

That'd make a great commercial, Neil.

But, actually, Steven Tyler usually uses a mic "stand" with no base, and a bandana tied around it, I believe... :D

Hey, Ted...I thought Tyler WAS the mic stand with a bandana tied around it!

C'mon now! Even at the 68% savings at $800 is a bit much. I don't care what anyone says. It's like all them expensive fingernail jobs women get. Do YOU really care about them? When was the last time you were babe-watching with your buddies, and one of you remarked, "WHOA! Lookit the nails on THAT one!"? On the same note, how many times did you ever walk away from a show or concert still mesmerized by the singer's MICROPHONE STAND???

"Yeah, he sang like shit, but the MIC stand was the BOMB!" :rolleyes:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

You think $800 for a mic stand is crazy... You should see how much a set of Colorado Custom Wheels cost... and there's a much larger (if still niche) market for the wheels! ;)

Basically, you're forgetting that an $800 mic stand has more in common with a $13,000 Rolex and a $150,000 Rolls Royce than with other mic stands. It falls into the category of, "If you have to ask how much it costs, then it's too much." :D

These mic stands, like the Rolex and the Rolls, don't necessarily work that much better than anything else out there. They are semi-custom works of art and command a very premium price. At the end of the day, you can tell time on a Timex pretty much as well as a Rolex, drive from point A to point B on paved roads with a Ford as well as a Rolls, and you can support a microphone as well with a $25 stand as with this $800 piece of working art. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i guess if you're rich, i mean it's not as bad as a

$6000.00 shower curtain ;) but at that price for my humblier than humbliest use that kind of mic stand had better rap for me and autotune itself afterwards.

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

Originally posted by Nawledge:

......autotune itself .......

Now, a Mic or Mic stand with Autotune built in! :eek: You could make a ton of money with that! :D

Sly :cool:

You just watch! It won't be the mic stand with autotune built in, it will be the wireless mic system with autotune built in! Heck, Sabine has marketed a modelling wireless mic system for several years now. Anyone compare the mic models of the Sabine system to any of the real mics?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived