Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif XF_Load "without sample"__Anyone do this?

dsetto

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did with my MOXF but I know a person who does. Works fine for him.

I also know a touring guy who brings his Roland SRX cards to load in the Fantom X he backlines. (as well as a compact flash with the programs)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I've done it with my XF, multiple times. as long as the BL company show up with a Motif XF, you're golden. you just stroll in with a USB stick and your flash board like a rock star. a couple minutes to unscrew the plate and put in the flash, another couple minutes to load the ALL file without samples, and boom, you're playing your same home custom library, including any customized system settings you might have saved.

when you first put the flash board in and turn it on- you'll get a message to the effect its a new flash board and asking to install the flash - answer yes as that "maps" the waveforms into XF memory so your ALL file will find them. I can't explain more technically, but thats the gist.

It worked great until one gig the backline guy showed up with a Motif XS and said "what ... are they different?". mad scramble and he eventually found an XF8 30 minutes before downbeat. I play XF7 so i hated the weighted keys, but I was able to grind through the gig to success. and left a bit scarred lol.

Upon return I decided to create a virtual rig, they won't ever hold me hostage again, i said. Alas - Hampered by complete lack of knowledge or time required to become expert programmer in Mainstage and assorted plug-ins - and needing the exact custom sounds I use on every song (as its a tribute), I abandoned that project after a brief flirt and bought a MOXF6, which readily accepted all of my custom programming from the XF.

Now with the MOXF6, i don't bother to even ask a backline where i'm flying into, though the same ease of load would apply if they could successfully deliver the right model. it flies free on SW or Delta (i'm Elite status), $25/way on other carriers in its nifty TSA-worthy SKB roller case. We charge it to the booking agent as part of the cost to get the band to the remote show. Total weight is about 35 lbs in case, length under the "oversize" limit. and I have it in my room in case i want to fine tune a new song or tweak a new program. so i just take it.

But to OP's question - yes it works and works just fine. as long as the backline brings the right board!

I still want to learn how to design exact custom sounds using MS. I know David (Escape) is a keen expert, i'm a bit jelly but its not like he didn't pay for that skill with sweat and perseverance :).

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Thank you for that MotiDave. It's a neat concept. ... Btw, what's MS?

No worries - short answer is it works flawless if they have the right model board. doesnt matter if 6, 7 or 8. you can even use Melas to convert XF to MOXF and I think vice versa - create versions of your user library for either line. I dont know if a Flash board that was formatted for XF can be dropped into MOXF and vice versa. You know who would know that - 5pin Din (is he Midi DIN or 5pin Midi here? Hes here, i know that)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

[...] I dont know if a Flash board that was formatted for XF can be dropped into MOXF and vice versa.

Unfortunately, the XF and MOXF formats are different, so a quick swap of flash modules won't work.

You know who would know that - 5pin Din (is he Midi DIN or 5pin Midi here? Hes here, i know that)

Sorry about the confusion. 5pinDIN on Motifator = MIDI2XS here on KC.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

[...] I dont know if a Flash board that was formatted for XF can be dropped into MOXF and vice versa.

Unfortunately, the XF and MOXF formats are different, so a quick swap of flash modules won't work.

You know who would know that - 5pin Din (is he Midi DIN or 5pin Midi here? Hes here, i know that)

Sorry about the confusion. 5pinDIN on Motifator = MIDI2XS here on KC.

The important point was i knew youd know :)