Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling Boards, Paying It Forward?

cphollis

It just so happens that I sell boards and stuff from time to time. But part of me tries to avoid being the ruthless capitalist.

The potential buyers are always aspiring musicians. They're not quite sure of what they want, or if what I'm selling will meet their needs.

So I always end up doing a bit of therapy and consulting. More often than not, I end up talking them out of buying my gear. Not a good fit for them, based on what they say and what little I know. Hey, it is what it is.

Right now, I'm in an extended email conversation with a few people who are interested in my Nords. Not convinced it's the best fit for them, so -- weirdly -- they are arguing their case. Not exactly what you'd expect.

But, that being said, I feel it's my duty to pay it forward. And, if I feel it's a good fit, I always do the deal for less than I could have. My small way to make the world a better place by finding good homes for good gear.

How about you?

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given gear away. .... Not sure if it is altruistic or because I'm desperate for storage space because I've collected too much stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When I've had an instrument for a while and its time to move on, I always prefer the buyer really wants it and it's going to get played. I'm a sucker for taking a loss for my own students. Some years back I gave an 88k weighted controller to a deserving student who was amazingly grateful and is now earning a living as song writer, producer, and in a touring act. Musicians can be terrible businessmen.

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

When possible, I reach out to people I know to see if they are interested and offer them a below-market price. In some cases it's in order to keep the gear close so I can still visit :laugh:

I haven't turned it over yet, but I have a buyer for my Moog Opus 3. It's been in storage and I want it to have a good home. I offered it to a friend at a good price. He said "you know what those go for, right?" I said yes, all I ask is that you let me visit from time to time, LOL.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The first and last last thing I ever sold was when I was a college student and needed to buy an amp. I sold my Rhodes Suitcase 73. Dumbest move ever.

Since that time I've never sold anything. Only bought.

I've given away a boatload to worthy causes. Schools. Churches.

Selling is way too big a hassle unless you unload on a music store. Track your time/effort/cost to transact and there is no point.

J a z z P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB-6 | Seven

To me, paying it forward is giving something away that could change a life. I gave away my Yamaha P90 to an inner-city piano lesson program, but there are a lot of folks who would appreciate the gift of a quality used instrument. Big Brothers/Sisters comes to mind.

victoria bc

I usually take a loss because I'd rather have money in hand and equipment gone now, than worry about it for another month or six. But I rarely give things away, that I can remember. I have plenty of times talked someone out of buying something of mine that wasn't right for them, but I fear that in my case it is not because I am nice, but rather because I am dumb.
"

I'm not surprised you do it this way Chuck because I know the time you spend to help people on their purchase on the Nord Forum... That's very nice of you....

For me, I think the last time I sold something was in 1987, when I sold my SH101, MC202 Roland and my Crumar Multiman S to buy my D50 and TX802....

I still have them and use them, a lot for the D50, it's my second keybed on top of the Stage 2...Imise the TX802 sporadically but when I use the E. Piano DX type, well, way better than any sample....

I gave already given a lot of stuff to kids when I moved from France, yes, it was too much of a burden to sell it....

By the way Chuck, if you sell some of your old QSC, I might be interested as vocal monitors....Or for monitor for my bassist or guitarist, I don't think we will go all IEM in the near future, maybe only for vocals first....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

I guess that makes me a dick. :laugh: I'm kind of mercenary when it comes to selling. I figure out what a good price I should be able to get is, and list it for that much. I usually hold firm until I find a buyer.

That being said, I've never had the opportunity to talk with a potential buyer to convince nor dissuade them like Chuck describes, and have only had a few chances to find someone I was willing to give the gear to. It really depends on the gear and who I know I can offer it to. I gave away my first keyboard when I moved from MI to TX to a friend's kid, and gave away my first acoustic piano to a friend and neighbor (they had to pay to move it to their house but I knew they could afford that). So, I guess I may be an... "a-hole". But not, and I quote, "100% a dick". :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I find other ways of helping younger musicians. I am not a "non Profit" organization who can afford to just give things away. I always ask for fair market value and I'm always replacing things, I am not a hoarder. I only have 3 boards, two sound systems, and 1 set of DW drums.

With that said, I spend a good amount of time mentoring and helping young musicians all the time and I will loan a keyboard from time to time.

:) I don't think anyone is implying if you don't take a loss on an old instrument you are a jerk. Obviously music is a business for many of us. On the other hand, when taking a loss it's also good to get receipts for tax purposes! Especially when "paying it forward". :)

I think in the OP's case - as hobbyist who has earned his way to retirement in a different field, with a deep love of music, a serous interest in choosing his gear carefully and wisely, who also enjoys blogging on the topic and sharing what he's learned - if he can help another player along in the same vein there's karma there in helping someone choose (which happens a lot here). Accepting a better than fair price on gear you've moved on from is ok too.

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

I donated a Yamaha S90 a few years ago to the vocal music program at my kids high school (partly because I had played their truly awful digital piano!) rather than go through the hassle of selling it. Taking a high end valuation as a donation pretty much made it a wash.

I asked the director later how they liked it and he said that it was a nice improvement but that (with its heavy road case) the kids said it was a beast to move. Im thinking why are a bunch of 16-17 year old kids bitching about this thing 50-something me has been schlepping around for years.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I either Ebay it with total detachment, or I give it away. The current target of my affections is my old high school band. Like most music programs they have gone through several budget cuts. It feels good to provide them with a few useful instruments. So far from me they have gotten a set of LP congas, Roland Fantom X7 and amp, Fender MIM Jass bass and amp. All useful. It feels good to attend a function and see them using my instruments.

PS: I'm not saying this to "toot my own horn." Get it. High school band. ... Horn. ... Okay. Okay. I'm saying this to encourage others to do the same. It is a great way to introduce young musicians to a ROMpler, a chance to play a decent bass, etc... Man, when I was in high school band I would have LOVED to play that set of congas. High school band brought a lot of joy to me. It is time to return some of it.

This post edited for speling.

I have also talked people out of buying gear. One lady wanted a "piano" for her teenage son (supposedly, this was a random response on Facebook.) I explained that my clonewheel was probably not the right choice for them :)

Right now I'd like to sell my Kurzweil pc361 but it has refused to boot at a gig and has a flickering screen...since the refusal to boot I've gigged maybe 30-40 times with no issues, but I still wouldn't feel right if it happened to the next person. I'm a terrible salesperson I guess, and that's ok :D

I gave a pretty good deal on my Virus kb to a young guy looking to get started in a band. He definitely was focussed on synth sounds so it was a good one for him :) I had gotten a great deal on it and probably could have made some $ if I were more patient, but he really wanted it and I hate CL, so a deal was made.

I have sold probably over a dozen keyboards, several sets of powered speakers, effects pedals, mixers, all at the very bottom end of what they are worth. When I am done with them, I just want to move them quickly, figuring I have got what I paid for out of them over the time I owned them.

I do like RABid's idea of donating to a high school. I haven't done that (I donated a keyboard to my church). It might be fun to maybe mentor a student or two that would like to learn about whatever board I am donating to their school. (assuming that the music teacher doesn't have the knowledge of that board) I would suppose a jazz type band at HS ???

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC361,

Kronos X61, RD-88, Nautilus 73

I donated my entire gig rig to a local high school a few years ago. I have always been a sap that way, but I've never regretted paying it forward. I gave away my B3 and Leslie years ago to a young aspiring keyboardist. Hopefully they are still floating around out there somewhere making the world a better sounding place.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I have a best student who regularly benefits from my downsizing. A few years ago I showed up at his door with my perfectly good Korg CX3, a Kurzweil KME61, and a heavy duty 2-tier X stand to put them on. If I don't turn something on for a year, it is better off with someone who will. He's playing his ass off, will probably blow by his teacher in a few more years.

And is now taller than me.

cHGgd2G.jpg

Yamaha P515, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

LOL. Some good points here. It's tough sometimes to take losses especially with Leslie or Hammonds because they require so much legwork and costs for parts or labor.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm trying to sell my Triton Pro X, but I've talked several potential buyers out of it. I'm not even sure what my problem is because I don't really have an emotional attachment to it. I think I just know its slight quirks, and I know that these buyers would not have had the money or the knowledge to repair a 20+ year old, difficult to transport board.

So it stays as my weighted controller.

I do give away rack gear all the time because I'm buying (and rebuying) rack synths all the time. If I got it at a steal, I'm not going to go through the hassle of auction fees and shipping to recoup 50 of the 100 dollars I spent.

"For instance" is not proof.

I've given a few things away to newbies and kids. Its come back to me some, because KARMA. I have a few pals who have stepped up and cut me great deals or just plain bought me a few smaller devices. When someone loans you $300 that gets you over the top for a key purchase, you pay it back with interest and dinner!

I've sold keys twice and learned how to steer people towards or AWAY FROM various things after gauging Where They Are Along The Path. I once aimed a family at a Polysix & a small delay because they made it clear that the Kurzweil K2000 would have just driven them batty. I wanted repeat customers, not just rare big sales. I steered a VERY grateful mother towards an early Roland drum kit & some headphones so that she did not kill her budding drummer son. :taz:

My general direction has been to sell used gear at a price roughly between the blue book and a measured reality including age & condition. I finally deemed my old Kawai K5 additive synth to be unapproachable, but I encountered a guy who LIKED its hideous plank-like keys for driving a Roland MKS-20. One great side aspect of SynthWorld: slowly shuffling gear like a deck of cards.

:D

"Every young person needs
  a bad older person to look up to
   and I hope I can be that person for you tonight."
         ~ John Waters, "This Filthy World"

I used to be a more savvy seller. At some point I reached the point where my time and tranquility became worth more than that extra $150 I could get by holding out for the best buyer. It's just adaptation to a different stage of life.

However, my generosity depends on the bone fides of the buyer. We all know there are people buying and reselling gear. I don't hold that against them, they are performing a useful function. But I'm a nicer seller when I think the buyer is going to keep it and play it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I go one better. I give away my boards, and then I also give an extra $500 to the lucky chap who I gave the board to. The extra $500 is for any ancillary needs they may have, repairs, cartage, cables, beers, etc.

And on top of that, for every board I give away, I send $500 to MojoGuyPan.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I have a best student who regularly benefits from my downsizing. A few years ago I showed up at his door with my perfectly good Korg CX3, a Kurzweil KME61, and a heavy duty 2-tier X stand to put them on. If I don't turn something on for a year, it is better off with someone who will. He's playing his ass off, will probably blow by his teacher in a few more years.

And is now taller than me.

cHGgd2G.jpg

Great stuff Bobby!

I have some stuff headed for my Godchild's daughters soon . . .

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I was just at the Rhizome DC Gear and Record Sale this past Saturday. I did get some comments along the lines of "Man, you could make more money selling that elsewhere". I didn't mind however selling two Korg Volcas, the Microbrute, and Mescaline semimodular for about half what I paid each, especially to the young folks - just wanted to get this stuff into the hands of local musos.

I'll probably be a bit more mercenary with certain other pieces of gear. ;)

I go one better. I give away my boards, and then I also give an extra $500 to the lucky chap who I gave the board to. The extra $500 is for any ancillary needs they may have, repairs, cartage, cables, beers, etc.

And on top of that, for every board I give away, I send $500 to MojoGuyPan.

thats a good approach. And a person can make more friends that way

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I was just at the Rhizome DC Gear and Record Sale this past Saturday. I did get some comments along the lines of "Man, you could make more money selling that elsewhere". I didn't mind however selling two Korg Volcas, the Microbrute, and Mescaline semimodular for about half what I paid each, especially to the young folks - just wanted to get this stuff into the hands of local musos.

I don't know if this is so complicated. Not much for talking about myself..

Last Saturday, we had a garage sale. Everything in our drive way was free.

Several pieces of decent gear.

Someone tried to steal the garage but I stopped him in time

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I don't know if this is so complicated. Not much for talking about myself..

I wanted to unload some gear, got some money for it.

Nothing complicated at all.

Well, when i sell stuff, is usually to buy something else. Budget is reduced, so i need to sell; i usually post a price that is a bit higher than market value, and slowly decrease it until somebody show up. Usually i am not in a hurry.

But i want to sell stuff in person (unless simple and very cheap), i want to be sure that that the buyer tried it, and that he know what he buys; a couple of time i offered a week or so to the buyer in case he changed his mind.

And once i suggested to buy a RD64 instead of my RD300SX :->.

Happy buyer means less problems, and a happy seller too :->

Maurizio

Nord Electro 5HP, OB-6, Modx 7, Rameau upright.

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/