Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New Technology

This is not about computers changing to reliable Li/U-n(u/i)x OS, rewriting high level programming plugin code into reliable fixed execution time parallel programming DSP assembly code blocks. Or about more efficient use of FPGAs in Prophets, new synths, mixers, Linux kernel schedulers, etc. Nor about how keyboard scanning, Midi messages and sound engines can learn to be microsecond accurate to let classical pianists have all the controlled expression they want. Not even about a newly designed Lexicon called the Thesaurus which you feed you mics or tracks to become perfectly balanced for stage and studio use.

Oh, wait a minute, that is actually somewhat what this about. If we presume our keyboard weigh about a pound, have every action and size available somebody may desire, and will easily plug into anything to play (with actually better latency than anything from 30 years ago), and somehow magically someone invents a digital keyboard/computer/mixer connection which can be approved to always work and render the desired sound, even in the opinion of the pros, what's going to be next big thing?

HiFi rap music? Rhythmically perfect house ? Original hiphop? poetically interesting new age noodles? Seriously though, if the sound (after quite some work has been done, no doubt) is finally good that comes fro portable PA systems, and the digital ever-sameness has been upgraded to work satisfactory for making real music, computers, plugins, software synthesis and DAW software have become accurate, powerful and reliable, and for the sake of argument boring samples can be replaced by organocally sounding new forms of responsive and wonderful synthesis, what happens to the Hot 100 ?

Will the new priests of betrayal, the IT guy disguised as Rock servant, the hip of the devil, and sissies of sample and knob-riding become mature musicians with worthy opinions of their own ? Will funky subtleties, reliable Stars with normal human frailties, man and women with interesting creativity to deal with the temptations of life be honored and send on their way to the top ?

TV

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not about computers changing to reliable Li/U-n(u/i)x OS, rewriting high level programming plugin code into reliable fixed execution time parallel programming DSP assembly code blocks. Or about more efficient use of FPGAs in Prophets, new synths, mixers, Linux kernel schedulers, etc. Nor about how keyboard scanning, Midi messages and sound engines can learn to be microsecond accurate to let classical pianists have all the controlled expression they want. Not even about a newly designed Lexicon called the Thesaurus which you feed you mics or tracks to become perfectly balanced for stage and studio use.

Oh, wait a minute, that is actually somewhat what this about. If we presume our keyboard weigh about a pound, have every action and size available somebody may desire, and will easily plug into anything to play (with actually better latency than anything from 30 years ago), and somehow magically someone invents a digital keyboard/computer/mixer connection which can be approved to always work and render the desired sound, even in the opinion of the pros, what's going to be next big thing?

HiFi rap music? Rhythmically perfect house ? Original hiphop? poetically interesting new age noodles? Seriously though, if the sound (after quite some work has been done, no doubt) is finally good that comes fro portable PA systems, and the digital ever-sameness has been upgraded to work satisfactory for making real music, computers, plugins, software synthesis and DAW software have become accurate, powerful and reliable, and for the sake of argument boring samples can be replaced by organocally sounding new forms of responsive and wonderful synthesis, what happens to the Hot 100 ?

Will the new priests of betrayal, the IT guy disguised as Rock servant, the hip of the devil, and sissies of sample and knob-riding become mature musicians with worthy opinions of their own ? Will funky subtleties, reliable Stars with normal human frailties, man and women with interesting creativity to deal with the temptations of life be honored and send on their way to the top ?

TV

I know exactly what you mean.

"

TV

The location-identity split must work. The influence on cryptography of this technique has been well-received. Continuing with this rationale, we view artificial intelligence as following a cycle of four phases: synthesis, exploration, construction, and improvement. Nevertheless, evolutionary programming alone cannot fulfill the need for highly-available modalities.

Cyberinformaticians often simulate scatter/gather I/O in the place of the producer-consumer problem. Even though conventional wisdom states that this quagmire is often fixed by the refinement of hash tables, we believe that a different solution is necessary. The basic tenet of this solution is the synthesis of 8 bit architectures. Though similar frameworks enable the World Wide Web, we solve this quandary without deploying IPv4.

Marker, our new solution for ambimorphic models, is the solution to all of these obstacles. In the opinion of experts, existing perfect and Bayesian applications use the emulation of Internet QoS to manage the emulation of simulated annealing. Existing probabilistic and perfect algorithms use journaling file systems to emulate symbiotic algorithms. This combination of properties has not yet been deployed in existing work.

The contributions of this work are as follows. To start off with, we confirm that despite the fact that expert systems and Smalltalk can cooperate to achieve this mission, the Internet and the Ethernet are continuously incompatible.

Although such a claim at first glance seems counterintuitive, it has ample historical precedence. Similarly, we propose a novel framework for the understanding of expert systems (Marker), arguing that digital-to-analog converters and red-black trees are largely incompatible. Continuing with this rationale, we confirm that kernels can be made modular, introspective, and electronic.

Long story short: we motivate the need for Moore's Law. To solve this problem, we concentrate our efforts on disproving that congestion control and scatter/gather I/O are rarely incompatible

These gatekeeping posts about what makes "real music", how seemingly all technology falls woefully short, and how you are necessarily correct... dude, it's just tiresome.

Somehow, a number of musicians and engineers continue to create and capture good-sounding performances--regardless of having your personal blessing and the fact that it's not 1979 anymore.

I should have probably passed on this post, but as much as fellow KC denizens are happy to throw gibes at your incoherence, there may be some value at calling you on bullsh*t, assuming anyone can figure out your point.

I make software noises.

If everyone would just realize that Theo is just some Graduate students AI project designed to win a Turing test competition, which during the deep learning programming phase was maliciously contaminated by a competitor who fed it OReilly manuals and Ken Nordine tracks, then it all makes. Help our AI brother out, he is learning.

dude, it's just tiresome.

I passed through stages of bewilderment and then irritated skimming, but since about my 40th Theo post or so I feel like they've just been getting better and better.

If everyone would just realize that Theo is just some Graduate students AI project...

Huh. I'd assumed he was the invention of a bored forum member.

Danngit, I'm going to get to the bottoms of this right now by testing "Theo" with some very scientific Turing Test Questions I lifted from the web.

Theo, please answer the following:

0. How could I determine the weight of the questions I lifted?

1. How come time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana?

2. I wasn't originally going to get a brain transplant, but then I changed my mind. Is that funny? Why?

3. If the sky is the sea, what does that make birds?

We shall wait and judge you.

Long story short: we motivate the need for Moore's Law. To solve this problem, we concentrate our efforts on disproving that congestion control and scatter/gather I/O are rarely incompatible

TIP OF THE HAT: That's an astute and profound summary of modern systems analysis.

Gordon Moore's observation that the number of transistors on a chip wafer doubling every ~18 months is based upon a profound understanding of science.

Congestion control (the most common cause of crackling audio and latency) and scatter/gather I/O (i.e. distributed systems communications). NETWORK ANALYSIS.

[Clipped from a Google search... a modern research technique]

Consider also the "CAP theorem", also named Brewer's theorem after computer scientist Eric Brewer, states that it is impossible for a distributed data store to simultaneously provide more than two out of the following three guarantees: Consistency. Availability. Partition tolerance. *Pick 2* but give up on the 3rd.

I know it's aimed at distributed database design work but our modern music systems have distributed data stores so it seems to be useful when thinking about why they are hard to design (i.e. buying the right products to solve the right problems) and why they sometimes behave in ways we can' understand due to the complexity of their interactions.

Thanks for the use of the mic. I yield my remaining time to the guy behind me.

---------------------

I own way too much musical stuff but I have sold, gifted or lost even more.

3 Apple Platforms - OS X, IOS in iPad and iPhone, Casio PX-560, Alesis Recital (batteries!), 9 guitars, 2 flutes, 6 harmonicas, Martin Uke, Violin, hand drums

I'll take a serious stab at it. I think technology and creativity largely run parallel, not necessarily directly influencing one another. We have much improved technology than we did 10 or 20 years ago. Did that result in better musicians and more creative music? Most would say no, so why would anybody thing that "perfect" technology would somehow result in better, more interesting music? In fact, I would argue the opposite. Some of the most creative music came out of limitations.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

>> Theo intoned: what's going to be next big thing?

I'm hoping for a higher level of musical competence that isn't modular dubstep-ish bleating or Depeche Mode covers. I own most of Vangelis' discography and I am sick of seeing everyone make bee-lines for the Top Ten Anthemic Vangelis Patches. If you CAN'T create those with almost any synth, you're in the wrong place and u suck. Please, reach a little further, willya?

More to Theo's point, I first find modern instruments to *sound* remarkable, with the technical minutiae coming in a distant second. Sampling, even for ROMplers, is a resolved craft. If you can't make 'em sing, its not the tools. If there is a musically serious lack in a synth, my well-worn ears can't hear the difference since about the shift from 12-bit to 16-bit samplers. The craft finally matched the Artistry and its been uphill ever since. IMO.

Second, while I think popular music is suffering like hell from Blipthink brought on in large part by the shift from physical tracks to mere files (and from conversation to mere texting), its also fair to say new tools like the Linnstrument deserve their star players. I simply doubt that they'll surpass traditional keys, strings, etc. Those approaches arose from the physical natures of our actual hands and ears. The more you veer from that, the smaller the total user base and the shorter the probable lifespan of the design. That's not to speak ill of pioneers; after all, we came to have several smart, playable styles of pitch benders after a few noble failures helped to clarify the goals. If the design has legs, musicians will embrace it. Theo said "real music." Its only as real as you make it. Perhaps if more energy was invested in the WHY of music, as opposed to the endless variants on HOW, we'd be closer to the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam and a bit further away from juke boxes playing dubstep versions of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" :facepalm:

"Every young person needs
  a bad older person to look up to
   and I hope I can be that person for you tonight."
         ~ John Waters, "This Filthy World"