Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reverb pedal for guitar and vocals?

Jazz+

Hi. I have an EV PA system and a Mackie mixer that is very clean and full range. I go direct with my Telecaster guitar and vocal mic into the mixer. I want to add reverb in the loop and I would also like a modest delay for that Mike Stern jazz style single note lead. I was going to buy a TC Hall Of Fame Reverb mini (beautiful sound) but then I noticed the EHX Canyon has a plate Verb and delay setting combination. I am thinking I could get the best of both worlds with just the one Canyon pedal. Would the Canyon plate Verb set to 3 ms be appropriate for a both guitar and my vocal in my mixer aux effects loop? I play blues and jazz, Latin, Beatles, B.B King and funk. No hard rock really. I am also considering adding a Roland Blues Driver for a guitar dive sound.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Frisell used a tc HOF to play his "John Lennon covers" set for his NPR Tiny Desk concert. I thought it sounded pretty good.

My bandmate got a Canyon to try on her vocals, but now its on her guitar pedalboard - she just really likes her EHX Holy Grail for vocal reverb.

Love the reverbs on my Eventide H9 Max, which came with all the algorithms that are in the Eventide Space pedal, but as always, tastes are subjective. I originally got the H9 for processing my analog synths but I use it on electric violin and guitar most of the time.

Well, for short money, you and the band could be in reverb/delay/chorus heaven?

Any one of the X-Air series ($300 b-stock) and it's all goodl Way pro effects, just that you have to control them via a remote device vs. a stomp box.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Everyone's taste is different. TC's Hall of Fame is the one I call Hall of Shame -- to my ears, it is the worst reverb pedal ever invented. I couldn't tweak it to sound musical. Sold it faster than any pedal I've ever bought.

The one I liked was the Reverberator (Dr. Scientist). Sold it to a friend who actually likes reverb (I don't). It was good for spring reverb and plate, which are the only two types I like. But I prefer using my Fender amps for the former, and plug-ins for the latter. I would use it in an effects loop anyway.

I seem to recall that Eventide just put out a new one. I like their plug-in reverbs -- especially for plate -- so it might be worth checking out.

Depending on your signal path, and which keyboards or ROMpler sounds, you might need stereo input, which significantly limits the available options.

Rather than buy an all-in-one that covers every reverb type, maybe think first about whether you actually want/need hall reverb etc. in a pedal or whether you're really looking for tank reverb (spring reverb) and/or plate reverb. Most of the traditional reverb sounds were one of those two.

There is a Fender "reverb-in-a-box" pedal that many people like. Maybe from BOSS? Should be easy to find listed.

As the OP mentions Mike Stern in the context of delay, maybe a long delay pedal (beyond 300-500 ms) is more what you're after? Lots of interesting choices there. I recently sold my top-of-line digital delay as it was too complex for what little I'd use it for, and I also sold my EHX Memory Man Deluxe as I didn't like it on guitar and do keyboard production in-the-box.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think the Boss RV6 is the ticket. It has great reverbs and a chorus verb and and adjustable delay. And shimmer and Modulated verb effect🏙.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I go direct with my Telecaster guitar and vocal mic into the mixer.

This caught my eye. You mean you plug your Tele straight in the mixer without some kind of amp simulator?

That got my attention too. Wouldn't it be excruciatingly clean?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I think the Boss RV6 is the ticket. It has great reverbs and a chorus verb and and adjustable delay. And shimmer and Modulated verb effect🏙.

My bandmate actually uses a Boss RV-series as her main guitar reverb. The Canyon is used primarily for its delays - I'm sure you've noted that only one of its modes has combined delay+reverb.

As Mark noted taste in reverb is subjective. Some people find the Eventide reverbs to not sound "natural enough", for example. I was leaning towards getting a Strymon after hearing a buddy use an El Capistan tape delay+spring reverb, then hearing the Big Sky; but I couldn't resist the deal I was offered for the H9 Max.

I go direct with my Telecaster guitar and vocal mic into the mixer.

This caught my eye. You mean you plug your Tele straight in the mixer without some kind of amp simulator?

I've been looking into guitar power amp simulator/guitar speaker simulator pedals actually. Leaning towards a Mooer Radar for myself, especially after checking out Electric Violin Shop's video demo - I play electric violin as well. The Mooer comes with 4 power amp models, and a bunch of mic and speaker models. It can also load additional IRs via software.

There is a Fender "reverb-in-a-box" pedal that many people like. Maybe from BOSS? Should be easy to find listed

That's the Boss FRV-1. They got expensive used once they were discontinued.

:nopity:

Even though Boss mentions "tube amp simulation" in the Blues Driver's specs, IMHO I really don't think it acts as an amp/speaker simulator in the way that a Line6 Pod would.

Another option if you'd like an all-in-one solution would be a TC helicon Voicelive or Voicelive Play, which would give you effects for both vocals and guitar, including an amp/speaker sim.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I am looking at the Biss Blues Driver for amp sim.

It's a good overdrive and should effectively simulate the preamp section of a tube guitar amp.

A real tube guitar amp actually has two types of tubes - preamp and power amp. Preamp tubes can add overdrive, but it's the power tubes, combined with the speaker, that really establish the character of a guitar amp; particularly the fullness of the sound and the dynamic responses.

That's why guitarists who play or record without a real tube guitar amp end up getting a power amp simulator and speaker simulator; often within a single unit like the Mooer Radar or one of the Two Notes Torpedo products.

Archived