Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg: "VST 2 coming to an end"

johnchop

Not entirely surprising:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/vst-2-coming-to-an-end-4727.html

"Late 2013 we announced that the Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST 2 would no longer be maintained and would only be available as subset of the VST 3 SDK.... From October 2018 onward we are closing down the second version of VST for good. While the VST 2 SDK has been unavailable, and so have maintenance and technical support, the subset within the VST 3 SDK will also be omitted.... VST 2 compatibility with Steinberg VST hosts will remain, however, we recommend to root for the latest version of VST."

Of course, this doesn't mean your VST2 instruments and effects will stop working. It does put some fire under DAW & host developers (looking at you, Ableton!) to get on board with VST3 support.

However, from what I understand, VST3 doesn't bring a whole lot to the table for folks running virtual instruments live.

-John

I make software noises.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, when I read this news at KVR this morning, I struggled to think who besides Steinberg themselves actually supports VST3 yet? Most of my products (including DAW's) only support VST2, or are AU-only.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I must admit not to have much scientific craving for looking into the code, though I needed to get it to compile for building "Carla" on Linux for the Dexed DX7 simulation. It appears the latest version of KXStudio (of which carla is a part) uses VST3. If I'd be on the dev team, I'd have more than a few fundamental DSP processing questions...

T.

Yeah, when I read this news at KVR this morning, I struggled to think who besides Steinberg themselves actually supports VST3 yet? Most of my products (including DAW's) only support VST2, or are AU-only.

If I'm not wrong Reaper supports VST3

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Roland FA-07 - GSI Gemini Rack - Galanti Accordion - MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made)

I haven't been able to get StudioOne to boot all year, even after countless updates and "scratch" reinstalls, so maybe VST3 is the problem (I didn't notice it now supports VST3 vs. VST2)?

Digital Performer only added VST support a few years ago, and is stuck at VST2.

I can't remember whether VSL's Vienna Ensemble supports VST3 or VST2. As many use it as a wrapper or host, it's as important as a DAW in many people's workflow.

Logic, of course, is AU-only. I deleted my "basic" copy of Ableton Live and can't remember its VST status.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL