Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That Rode microphone guy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree about both dudes.

In doing a search for a picture of Peter Freedman, this is all I could find:

Call me kooky, but Im not sure any of these are even him!

http://www.filipinomag.com/gallery/photos/peter_freedman.jpg

http://www.jackiecurtis.com/Cox.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:E-bvLiVouQMJ:www2.aya.yale.edu/classes/yc1957/Photos/45REUNION/Gillis%2520Howard%2520and%2520Edwina.jpg

http://www.mimuse.de/fotos/wallstreet.jpg

http://members.aol.com/neckarmuehle/mundelsheim/Maul_u_Clownseuche.jpg

http://www.doi.gov/anniversary/secretary/lamar.gif

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Peter is a super nice guy, and absolutely knows his shit about mic design. That having been said, the ad also weirds me out, and I told him so. :)

- Jeff

Was this a friendly or paid, professional opinion, Jeff?

Not that it really matters, either way. I have wondered, not having bought the mic, if I'll wake up to find a horse head on the pillow next to me! :eek:

:D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I don't think I've seen this ad, is it available online?

I looked at their web site but could not find it.

Rode

BTW, it's very good that they are listing serial numbers of stolen microphones. Would be great if other manufacturers followed their example.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Peter is a super nice guy, and absolutely knows his shit about mic design. That having been said, the ad also weirds me out, and I told him so. :)

- Jeff

Was this a friendly or paid, professional opinion, Jeff?

Not that it really matters, either way. I have wondered, not having bought the mic, if I'll wake up to find a horse head on the pillow next to me! :eek:

:D

FUNNY!! :D:D
This way, no, wait, that way!

Well, even if he did not mean for it to do so, his ad is taking on some brilliant secondary distribution. Perhaps I should go take some creepy pictures of my self acting like a drunk and... hey! I already did that! :)

- DJDM

"My name is DJDM and I approved this post"

I tried a little experiment over morning coffee today. I was skimming the EQ issue with the NT-1A ad in it and I held it up for my wife to see, and asked her for her thoughts about the guy in the ad. Her response was that at first glance, he reminded her of George Clooney. Immediately after that, she said he looked "creepy" or "angry" or "like he was up to something - trying to pull something over on you".

IMO, not the types of body language impressions you want to convey to your customers.

I'm sure Peter's a nice guy - I admire Jeff, and if Jeff thinks he's okay, that's good enough for me. And like I said, I like some of their mics. But I'd seriously consider different facial expressions for the next ad campaign.

IMO, and FWIW: Smile Peter - your face won't break - I promise. :) You can look serious, but try to avoid looking like you want to tear someone's head off and crap down their neck. ;)

And I don't know if it's even an issue of whether he's smiling or not. The picture just has an odd quality about it. Maybe it was something as simple as a poor choice of a photo to use in the ad. And yeah, that other ad with the perfect pitch - that one has a really odd quality about it too.

I'm sure the guy is really cool. I've met a couple of people from Rode at NAMM shows in the past, and I've been very impressed with them. They seem like they really want to make a good product and seem to offer very good service. I purchased a Rode NT-2 in 1996, with their first incarnation of the shock-mount. How can I say this while being polite? It *sucked*. The "rubber bands" constantly breaking, the felt in the middle coming off, screws getting stripped with minimal usage.... I told one of their reps about it. He asked for my name and address and said that he'd try and do something about it. He ended up sending me a giant bag of "rubber bands" and their 2nd generation shock mount in the mail!!!

Actually, I finally realized how to accurately describe my first impression of his look in the ad. This is funny, but I'm being totally serious.

He has that, "felon who has been cleaned and dressed up in a suit by his lawyers for court" look.

I really don't mean to disparage the man, but that was my impression from the ad.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Actually, I finally realized how to accurately describe my first impression of his look in the ad. This is funny, but I'm being totally serious.

He has that, "felon who has been cleaned and dressed up in a suit by his lawyers for court" look.

Neil,

How was your birthday gig?

I tend to agree witchya on the "look". I don't have a picture here with me, but a 5 o'clock shadow is stuck in my head.

That's exactly it Phillip - Clooney ! haha What is Mr. Freeman thinking ? Or he may not have asked for input... :idea:

A pencil thin mustache and a black cape might go better with the ad also, hehe.

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Neil,

How was your birthday gig?

I tend to agree witchya on the "look". I don't have a picture here with me, but a 5 o'clock shadow is stuck in my head.

It was fun to get out and play a bit.. but I need to write some songs. Everything around Nashville is songwriter's nights. (As far as solo gigs, outside of restaurants, of course.) What I wouldn't give to have a whole band I could book locally! If Ouizel (Clay, from the Guitar Forum) gets his transfer or finds another job here in Nashville, I'm confident we'll make that happen in no time. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

He was at NAMM this year and I rememeber walking by the Rode booth a few times. He was there each time, dressed just like in the ads. He seemed very friendly and approachable and always seemed to be making whoever he was talking to laugh.

I would have talked to him myself but all I could come up with was "Hey, you're the guy from the ads." So I didn't waste my time.

Besides, there was a DJ booth across from theirs that had some SMOKIN' hot girls on the turntables. Not just hot eye candy, but hot eye candy that could really mix and groove.

I think I stopped when I saw the add, struck me as wierd. Funny thing is, I guess it worked. We are talking about, not for the right reasons thou. Still, I would buy a mic from him. Wonder what they are saying back at headquarters.

Do you think he'll find us, hunt us down and slash our throats? I'll stop now. I think I'm scared of him.

I'm looking at the new issue of EM, and the ad one of the ads is in it.

You people are too critical. They could have gotten a model, or somebody who would have the right 'look' for the ad.

The way I see it, here's a guy who is proud of his product and wants to present it in a classy way.

I think it's commendable. I think he looks fine.

No flash. No hype.

I like ads done by 'REAL' people. I like the fact that Walmart uses it's employees and their families for the pictures in their ads.

Yeah, Freedman has very stern looking eyes, and his mouth reminds me of a lizard....so what! This is the type of stuff that ad agencies have board meetings about.

Forget that crap! I'd STILL rather have Freedman in the ad than anyone else! unless his wife is a real looker....then maybe her. ;)

What would be funny is if we could get the dude from Behringer to do the same kind of ad! :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Super8, the new one isn't quite as creepy. (The one where he's crouching and holding something.) I don't think we're overly critical.. In the local vernacular, "That boy's just not right!" :D

Mats - I am entirely humbled that you've turned that comment into a quotable quote in your signature. :o

Maybe next I'll appear in Who's Who of goofy posters! (Not to far off from Tedster!) :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived