Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The reason I really, really, really like Youtube.

RABid

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We truly live in a golden-age for musicians.

We have pianos we can carry under one arm, virtual synthesizers with thousands of modulation options, and YouTube, which brings us instructional material, pretty much any song you want to know, and performances by just about everyone who ever played an instrument since the invention of film.

Whenever the Soul Band wants to learn a new song, we all discuss which specific YouTube video to learn from. We just had this discussion at last night's rehearsal.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Yes, You Tube has enabled me to reach my core audience, which now numbers in the high teens................. :facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Yes, You Tube has enabled me to reach my core audience, which now numbers in the high teens................. :facepalm:

Don't sell yourself short. Getting 18-19 year olds to listen to your music is a big accomplishment.

:puff:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We truly live in a golden-age for musicians.

We have pianos we can carry under one arm, virtual synthesizers with thousands of modulation options, and YouTube, which brings us instructional material, pretty much any song you want to know, and performances by just about everyone who ever played an instrument since the invention of film.

Whenever the Soul Band wants to learn a new song, we all discuss which specific YouTube video to learn from. We just had this discussion at last night's rehearsal.

What about that one period where you could sell records, tour the world, and become a multimillionaire from a couple tunes you and your buddies wrote in your parents' garage/basement?

Ok, that can maaaybe still happen but I couldn't help myself haha. :Python:

Anyway, yeah, YouTube is the most amazing thing. By far the largest musical library on Earth.

What about that one period where you could sell records, tour the world, and become a multimillionaire from a couple tunes you and your buddies wrote in your parents' garage/basement?

What they never told you back then was that the songs had to be good. The only thing that prevented me from achieving international stardom.

Every now and then you find a gem like this. (Warning, Three Dog Night fans only.)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuNBengxaQ&index=7&list=RD53XyCbIJGKY

Thanks for sharing this. That's from season 2 of the original "Soundstage" series, which is still in production here at WTTW in Chicago. I'll have to ask around to find out if there's anyone still here who worked on that show. Doubtful! Other guests in season 2 were Bob Dylan and Tom Waits.

Also, I'd love to know the story about the white B3 and grand piano.

Dennis

That is real good on so many counts. Live and tight. Such talent.

The opening vocal improvisation had a boatload of Roland Space Echo or similar device on it. Then it cut off at 2:39 - the soundman was part of the band.

Steve Coscia

Listen to the Hammond at 3:48 mark. What a freakin band they were. Sal Azzarelli, I think knew Jimmy well and did some work on his B-3. We talked about it in 2015 at lunch one day when we somehow got on the topic of 3 Dog Night.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

What they never told you back then was that the songs had to be good. The only thing that prevented me from achieving international stardom.

Ah, yeah, there's always a catch. ;) Dang it!

The second Keyboard player is Skip Konte. He had a dual manual Chamberlin that can be heard on TDN's version of Leo Sayer's "The Show Must Go On" from 1974. He was previously with Blues Image. Konte co-wrote their lone 1970 hit "Ride Captain Ride" and the Chamberlin can also be heard on that song. The line "Seventy-three men sailed her" was inspired by the Fender Rhodes Seventy-Three that Mike Pinera used while writing the song and is also heard on the recording.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

That is real good on so many counts. Live and tight. Such talent.

The opening vocal improvisation had a boatload of Roland Space Echo or similar device on it. Then it cut off at 2:39 - the soundman was part of the band.

I have recently revisited TDN and find their work to be very strong. Their guitar sound was a little strange, and they put a lot of work into their instrumental as well as their vocal arrangements. Their voices were as good as any then to now. I use this video to show my millenial friends how I dressed in the 70's (the singers, not the keyboardist)

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

The second Keyboard player is Skip Konte. He had a dual manual Chamberlin that can be heard on TDN's version of Leo Sayer's "The Show Must Go On" from 1974. He was previously with Blues Image. Konte co-wrote their lone 1970 hit "Ride Captain Ride" and the Chamberlin can also be heard on that song. The line "Seventy-three men sailed her" was inspired by the Fender Rhodes Seventy-Three that Mike Pinera used while writing the song and is also heard on the recording.

And THIS is why I like Keyboard Corner. There is always someone around that knows more than me and has interesting facts to share.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Heres the entire SOUNDSTAGE show that clip came from, if anyone wants it:

EDIT: follow the link that comes up to see this on Youtube, wont play here.

[video:youtube]X9-JcZeOZ7s

And heres a show I like even better, from when they were lean and hungry and Joe Schermie and Floyd Sneed were still in the rhythm section. Greenspoons pseudo-Garth Hudson organ showcase should be around 30:43. Mix is rough, its live;

[video:youtube]5vWFnJPpyts

Enjoy...

And THIS is why I like Keyboard Corner. There is always someone around that knows more than me and has interesting facts to share.

:thu: Best music forum around.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

yes, that was cool

:nopity:

God Chuck Negron.....what a voice and what a powerhouse the three of them were on that song Pieces of April.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived