Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Modular Keyboard Stand

Nathanael_I

We've talked about X-stands and other options many times, as well as sitting vs. standing and the stands that work for each. I sit.

A while ago, I put together a custom keyboard stand and mentioned it on one of the X-stand threads. But this morning, I remembered to take a few pictures.

It is made from Gibraltar drum parts and is modeled after an example I saw on their website. It puts the Kronos keyboard at the exact same height as my grand piano. This stand does not move at all when playing - the Kronos is as stable as a real piano. I use a DW drum throne, and it adjusts to a perfect playing position every time.

Keystand_med+-+1.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the front:

Keystand_med+-+3.jpg

If you look closely on the right side, you can see there is an extra clamp. I have an optional "wing" that attaches there to run a laptop or an Ableton Push 2 on my left side - right at perfect height.

It puts everything right where I want it, and it breaks down by loosening four clamps, and then packs flat. I have memory-locks all over the stand, so it goes back together perfectly every time. Here's the playing position.

Keystand_med+-+2.jpg

This type of system is completely modular and expandable in any way if I wanted to add other boards or features.

So, what I like about it:

1) It is rock solid. Nothing moves while playing.

2) It is exactly the right height for me

3) Lots of room for pedals - not that I am using them here

4) Looks great, especially under lights

5) Easy to dress cables on it. (I could be more discreet than these red cables!)

6) Breaks down flat with four twist locks & memory locks give consistency

7) Expansion is easy - add clamps and pipe - anything is possible

The top clamp will hold a standard 61 note synth if I'm bringing something larger than the OB-6 desktop.

With longer verticals, it could be raised to standing height.

It wasn't cheap. It wasn't "expensive-like-a-keyboard" either, but yes, it was expensive for "just a stand". (The chrome clamps do add up). It was worthwhile, and I'm glad I did it - I've been enjoying it for about a year now.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I priced this out a while back from the Gibralter Keytree site.

It came to $515! Pretty Pricey for a keyboard stand. It also was heavy and had a longer setup and breakdown time.

I abandoned the project after my cost / benefit analysis.

It looks awesome though.

Part Number Price Quan Extension

SC-GPR20 19.99 1 19.99

SC-GPR24C 22.99 2 45.98

SC-GPR30 22.06 2 44.12

SC-GPR36C 34.53 1 34.53

SC-GCSQCLTLA 46.99 1 46.99

SC-GCRQT 28.99 4 115.96

SC-GCARA 29.99 1 29.99

SC-GCML 9.75 6 58.5

SC-GEMC 54.99 2 109.98

SC-RF 8.99 1 8.99

Totals 515.03

I had seen this one on you tube for a 3 tiers stand and yes, I was going for a 600$ and more....So, I gave up.....But it's super classy for sure but I found a pretty similar solution with the Yorkville/Apex stand IKs-8 and two extra tiers....I don't break them down though, I just put them with the perfect high for me at the back of the truck and done....Less time spent to set them up....I have enough to do with my other keys....
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Its great, man. Said many times here how much I love my Gibraltar stand! Keyboards have come and gone but the stand will stay!

It was expensive, but so good for my back! And, yes, memory locks are your friend!

I did just buy a K&M Spider (again) to leave at a regular gig, too. But love the rack for mounting iPad, laptops, and anything else!

Funny how this thread came up while the Gibraltar site is down.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Wanna bet the Gibraltar site crashed because of all the keyboardists suddenly trying to look at their stuff?

Yes, the price might be a bit steep, but I imagine that it will outlast cheaper stands...so how much would it cost to buy one Model XYZ stand, then another three years later to replace it?

Might not be so pricey in the long run.

I'm considering building a few items out of 80/20 structural aluminum. Won't be as chrome-sexy looking as this, but it'll be strong and modular. Probably not as easy to break down, though. If I follow through, I'll report here.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Wanna bet the Gibraltar site crashed because of all the keyboardists suddenly trying to look at their stuff?
"Website under construction, we will be back soon."
I'm considering building a few items out of 80/20 structural aluminum. Won't be as chrome-sexy looking as

this, but it'll be strong and modular. Probably not as easy to break down, though. If I follow through,

I'll report here.

Grey

All in the design as to how it'll break down for transpo. Here's the start of one of my latest ever changing designs.
LUXdVcx.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Yeah, looks great! Very cool.

Curious what setting/kind of gigs you're usually playing? How fast is your teardown?

This was taken on the stage at a once-month church gig. Setup/teardown is pretty easy. It might take 1-2 min longer than a Spider stand (have one of those for standing) - but it is just closing four clamps - the memory locks align everything perfectly. The rest of teardown is the same - pack the synths, roll the cables, put it on a Rock-n-Roller.

What does it weigh?

I'm not sure - I've never weighed it. Each side weighs a bit more than an X-stand, I'd guess. The pipes are hollow and very light - the clamps are where the weight is.

I'm not volunteering to cart a B-3 or Leslie around, but setting up a keys rig is inconvenient enough that another 5 or 7 pounds isn't going to change anything in what I bring or how I'm bringing it in (Rock-n-Roller).

It's already loaded back up in the studio, so I can't just weigh it easily. Apparently, weight was low enough on my priority list that it was never considered before or afterwards - an answer that may be just over useless. Sorry!

Yes, the price might be a bit steep, but I imagine that it will outlast cheaper stands...so how much would it cost to buy one Model XYZ stand, then another three years later to replace it?

There's a saying in photography that the most expensive tripod you can buy is a $200 tripod (pro tripods with ball head often run over $1k). You buy a $200 tripod, and then it doesn't really work as well as you want in all the conditions you want, so you buy a $400 tripod, and then the $700 tripod, and then the $1200 tripod that you were avoiding and you have now spent $2000+ to get the tripod that you should have bought the first time.

Keyboard stands? They seem more like camera bags to me - there's always a hunt for the perfect one, and since conditions and situations change, the perfect stand changes too. And, until you've tried a couple of stands, you don't really know what you want/what works best.

I also have a K&M Spider and one of their adjustable table stands (18950, I think) plus an X-stand that never leaves the studio.

This modular one is my favorite so far. But I can't even pretend to be saving money at this point - stands are a very small part of the total gear mountain.

Whew - I was worried that I'd be GASsing for another keyboard stand. I own Z-stands, and Apexes, and monoliths, and A-Frames, and Standtastic, and and and and..

And I keep coming back to my humble double-tier double-braced x-stand for convenience.

Luckily, this one is ^$500 and my GASometer didn't even twitch.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I'm considering building a few items out of 80/20 structural aluminum. Won't be as chrome-sexy looking as this, but it'll be strong and modular. Probably not as easy to break down, though. If I follow through, I'll report here.

Grey

I've had a LOT of stands in my time and I've never had to replace 1 in a 3-4 year time frame. My original Invisible stand from the 80's is still kicking (I did replace the threaded turnbuckle part a number of years ago). I have a 10+ year old X stand- no problems. 10 year old Standtastic- no problems. I sold a double tier X stand to a guy who has had no problems, that one was at least 10 years old as well. My current 3 tier Z stand is a few years old, no problems. I gig and rehearse regularly and use the Z, Standtastic, and single X stand all the time depending on the gig and what my requirements are.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived