Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to reduce a Mojo 61 rotary effect?

Jazz+

Hi, my beloved Mojo 61 has a lot of edit parameters for its rotary effect. I dont want to change the character of it, I just want to turn down the balance so its less potent. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks,

J+

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to make some comparison recordings between Mojo 61 sim, Vent, and real Leslie. I think I know what you're talking about. To my ears, the Mojo 61 has a tad too much frequency modulation in the upper midrange, which is what is what's giving it that warbly sound. I don't really hear it with 888000000. I've increased the distance and twiddled with the other parameters that effect it more subtly, but it's still a little much for my tastes.

I play through a real Leslie 99% of the time, so it hasn't been a pressing issue with me. Through a real Leslie the Mojo 61 is absolutely amazing.

Hi, my beloved Mojo 61 has a lot of edit parameters for its rotary effect. I dont want to change the character of it, I just want to turn down the balance so its less potent. What is the best way to do that?

The only "balance" you can adjust in a Leslie sim is top vs. bottom rotors. It's not like many other effects that have a wet/dry balance... Rotary is always 100% "wet" (processed). Just like the real thing. (i.e. when you connect a B3 to a Leslie, you get all of its sound from the Leslie, you don't get a mix of Leslie and non-Leslie sound, since no sound actually comes out of the B3 itself at any point before it hits the Leslie)

But as for making it less "potent," the idea of moving the virtual mics further away sounds like a good suggestion.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Of course, a rig with a leslie plus a tone cabinet, or an A-100 with internal speakers offers a mix of straight and leslied sound. Sounds cool too.

True. Or a Leslie plus a Marshall. ;-) But these are not the Hammond+Leslie sounds that most people have played or are familiar with. It could be interesting, though, to layer the same drawbar sound twice, putting one through the Leslie and the other through some other amp sim on the same board, on those boards that would support that. (Not the Mojo61, I think. But maybe a Nord Stage, or Kronos, or VR09/VR730?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Increase the distance param. It will throb less.

I just had my Mojo a few days and I thought the same thing sounds like the mic is to close to the top rotor reminds me of when a mic was too close to the top rotor and hear a clicking noise when using a real leslie.

Mostly in the upper register on fast speed.

Even when I set the mic distance to max, I still hear the same warbly frequency stuff that others have noticed. I hope Guido reads this thread.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I just had my Mojo a few days and I thought the same thing sounds like the mic is to close to the top rotor reminds me of when a mic was too close to the top rotor and hear a clicking noise when using a real leslie.

When a real Leslie 'Clicks" during speed changes, that is a problem of the relay. Bob Schleicher invented or developed a solid-state (rather than tube) relay that fixes this problem for real Leslies. (you tube lovers, please don't scoff---this relay is for motor speed and is absolutely not in the audio portion of the Leslie).

His solid-state relay can be built into Leslie amps and is now sold by Trek.

Barry

Of course, a rig with a leslie plus a tone cabinet, or an A-100 with internal speakers offers a mix of straight and leslied sound. Sounds cool too.

My chop offers a direct out. I once combined Leslie with Subwoofer that got the direct out signal.

I also have one of those Speakeasy Preamps, with 122 out and direct out. My clones could feed a real Leslie and powered speaker simultaneously. That is also a really nice sound!

Barry

When a real Leslie 'Clicks" during speed changes, that is a problem of the relay. Bob Schleicher invented or developed a solid-state (rather than tube) relay that fixes this problem for real Leslies. (you tube lovers, please don't scoff---this relay is for motor speed and is absolutely not in the audio portion of the Leslie).

His solid-state relay can be built into Leslie amps and is now sold by Trek.

It doesn't click during speed changes player. Not really a click but a sound like a leslie that the mic is too close to the top rotor but not real bad mostly in the high register. If you ever owned a real leslie and the mic is too close to the top rotor you will hear unwanted noise, click only on fast speed or whatever you wanna call it. You have to listen very carefully to hear the sound.

My standard gig rig is Mojo 61 w/ sim off, one output straight into mixer and other output into a Vent. I am one of those who likes a subtle bit of straight sound mixed in.

What you do is even easier and available with any external sim.

Barry

Archived