Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JC 160

Bluesape

Had no idea such monsters existed until this week. This one was badly beat up, grillcloth tattered, etc, but it was ungodly massive looking. Dunno who thought the 120 wasn´t big enough, heavy enough, or loud enough, but this thing looked inspired by a demented, extremist mind. I have the utmost regard for the JC series, but it looked like a dishwasher with shredded fabric on the front. This model has been off my radar until now. Anyone seen or heard one?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen one, and having had a 120, I backed away slowly, so as not to show fear.

In all seriousness, these things were absurd, like trying to make a JC model that would appeal to the Fender Twin or Marshall stack crowd. Only thing more absurd was the the VGA series, Amps with built-in FX, where you needed a GK Synth pickup to access some of the effects?!?!?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Being as I prefer 12" speakers to 10" speakers and strongly dislike playing through any Roland JC's, there's just more for me to hate there. :D If you or anyone likes 'em, sincerely more power to ya. For me, this amp is like my handing you a long-scale Travis Bean with a cheap Indian rosewood fretboard and .015" - .064" strings. :crazy::D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

+1 DBM, I don't care for SS amps all that much and prefer tubers. My 410 Hot Rod DeVille sounds as sweet with the 10" speakers as my Hot Rod Deluxe 112 with a single 12". They both sound as good as my old Twin Reverb with two JBL's but they really cut down on the weight (which is the major factor for me). The 112 HRD Deluxe being the lightest with a nice clean sound is my favorite for now. I like playing clean and prefer the Fender amps over the Rolands and the Marshalls. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have a Cube 30X as my rescue amp. It lives in the car, and is totally gig-worthy. I wish everything I own were as ruggedly built, and getting sweet tones out of it is a snap.

As much as I like the tubers mentioned above, I must admit my little Roland Street Cube EX4 solid state amp has got more use than any of my others over the past 2 or 3 years. Sounds great and it has a channel for the mic and a channel for the guitar and an extra channel for a keyboard or lap top or MP3, etc. It runs on an AC adapter or 8 double A's putting out 5 25 or 50 watts. Great for busking, out door BBQ's, camp outs, patio parties, small venues, solo gigs, using as a monitor, etc. So, I must take back any negative comments about SS amps LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

"For me, this amp is like my handing you a long-scale Travis Bean with a cheap Indian rosewood fretboard and .015" - .064" strings.¨

Well, the fretboard and strings could be replaced! :roll::roll:

I have to say, it's not fair to judge all SS Amps by the sound of the JC's. I've owned SS Amps that had plenty of tone and snarl on tap. The JC's, as I've said before, are almost hi-fi sounding, not at all like the tone of a Guitar Amp. Back in the late 80's & early 90's, I saw a lot of Keyboard players using them. Maybe that's who those 160's were aimed at.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

WPS...for my old tin ears, there's a "warmth" in the snarl of the tube amps that's missing ffrom the SS amps.

@DocPate - There are a few exceptions. The Roland Blues Cubes from the 90's have a nice warm tone, and some of the Peavey SS Amps will get you there. I've heard a few SS Fenders that benefitted from having a nice OD pushing them.

One issue I saw regularly with SS Amps, especially inexpensive import models, was the way their output was rated. When I'm Amp shopping, I don't just look at whether it says 30 watts, or 50 watts, I look to see if it's rated at RMS or Peak. An Amp rated at 30 watts RMS is going to have some headroom to spare, whereas an Amp rated at 30 watts Peak isn't going to live very long, if you're trying to milk 30 watts of power out of it. I saw a lot of cheap SS Amps with a Peak rating.

One issue I saw regularly with SS Amps, especially inexpensive import models, was the way their output was rated. When I'm Amp shopping, I don't just look at whether it says 30 watts, or 50 watts, I look to see if it's rated at RMS or Peak. An Amp rated at 30 watts RMS is going to have some headroom to spare, whereas an Amp rated at 30 watts Peak isn't going to live very long, if you're trying to milk 30 watts of power out of it. I saw a lot of cheap SS Amps with a Peak rating.

For sure. The (Thomas Organ) SS Vox Super Beatle I had in the 60s was rated at 240 watts. I was astounded that a band mate's Super Reverb, rated at 45 watts, could blow the Vox right off the stage. (Sound-wise as well as volume-wise.)

Scott Fraser

Archived