Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio routings - Mainstage plus Kronos/Nord

nursers

I didn't wanted to interrupt other threads with my stupidness, so thought I'd create a new one in the hope someone can help. I play in a covers band, and have just bought a Kronos LS, plus I have a Nord Electro 5D and a Nektar P6 Midi controller.

Up until know I've used the Nord and Nektar, both going into a Komplete Audio 6 interface that is connected to my MB Pro and Mainstage. The outs from the interface go to FOH. Mainstage supplies all sounds for the Nektar plus sends program changes for the Nord so that when I change songs in a set it all loads up perfectly.

I want to limit my rig to two boards, so am thinking of dumping the Nektar and using the Kronos and Nord. Because I'll be using the onboard sounds for both synths, ideally I need to output in stereo on both to FOH, plus still interface with my MBP for Mainstage where I do use its sounds (haven't even started looking at how I do that yet).

So my question is: I assumed I need an audio with a USB connection so that Mainstage recognises both the synths, and ideally it has the ability for me to take a FOH feed that I can plug my IEMs into.

Do I have that right and any recommendations? The Key Largo stands out for me but it's out of reach given my recent purchases. Any other ideas very welcome and thanks again for jumping in if you have the time to.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kronos as your audio interface for Mainstage and the Kronos audio, Nord into the Kronos analog inputs, everything mixed in Mainstage and output via the Kronos analog outputs. 1 USB connection to the Kronos, 2 pairs of 1/4" cables, a good DI box and you're done.

Kronos as your audio interface for Mainstage and the Kronos audio, Nord into the Kronos analog inputs, everything mixed in Mainstage and output via the Kronos analog outputs. 1 USB connection to the Kronos, 2 pairs of 1/4" cables, a good DI box and you're done.

Sven can't thank you enough, will try this out. I've seen some off-the-cuff comments on the Kronos audio interface option as not being ideal but it seems like a great simple solution to me

Sven's idea is a good one. If it works as you need, fantastic.

If not the Key Largo really is the best option. I have a similar setup to you; 2 keys with their own sounds and using MainStage to manage programme changes and for its own sounds.

I probably touch the Key Largo least whilst on stage but its one of the best bits of kit.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Thanks Steve! Yes the Key Largo seems to be the ants pants :)

Sven's idea is a good one. If it works as you need, fantastic.

If not the Key Largo really is the best option. I have a similar setup to you; 2 keys with their own sounds and using MainStage to manage programme changes and for its own sounds.

I probably touch the Key Largo least whilst on stage but its one of the best bits of kit.

Another happy Key Largo fan here (as evidenced by my video). However, it is possible to do what Sven mentioned. The only caveat is to absolutely ensure that your Mainstage concert is set to 48k - the Kronos is fixed at 48k as an audio interface, and unless MS and the Kronos play nicely together in that regard, you can have some funny things happen.

Another thing I learned from running a Kronos & Mainstage together is this: if you have Mainstage as a channel in a Kronos combi, the channel volume must be set to the MIDI equivalent of 0 dB, otherwise your Mainstage channel strips will spike to 6 dB if your Kronos channel is set to 127.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

To be clear, there are a number of caveats to my approach (that I didn't mention purely due to lack of time and a desire to be concise); David R has mentioned but one of them. There's a definite trade-off in terms of setup time and effort vs. the benefits of not needing any more hardware.

Well worth it though, IMO. As always, YMMV. ;)

Archived