Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Smith�s overdrive on �The Sermon�?

Jazz+

On FB tonight and an old Buffalo Musician friend posts about the influence the local group Raven had on all musicians at that time in that town. They'd relocated to NY City and settled into Steve Paul's Scene where they soon became the favorite band of young Jimmy Hendrix! This album was cut in 1967. The song "Lets Eat" is what made me want to play organ. Here's some overdrive tone you wont get with a pedal from Greg or anybody else. It is truly glorious, and the playing from Jimmy Calire (one of my greatest influences of all time) is just plain DEEP :cool:

[video:youtube]

That's territory into which Lachy Doley dives deep using a BK Butler Tube Driver pedal between his '57 C3 and Leslie 145.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to be a bit of a dark art all this tube reconfiguration. I haven't tried looking into different configuration of Leslie/organ preamp tubes because I'm happy with a stock sound from a turned up 122. It would be interesting to collate some tube reconfigurations people have used in the past.

Appreciate that - I was actually looking at a PDF of the 122 schematic while writing it, to be sure that my detail information was correct.

Kind of ironic that you got the voltage regulator tube part number wrong then, eh? ;)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Oops - that came from (somewhat foggy) memory. Looking at the schematic, it says 0C2. IIRC the difference is in the voltage, but long enough ago I don't remember the voltage on either.

Somewhere in the various moves, my old RCA tube manual disappeared, GE one also.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I clearly hear a number of things going on, besides that the sound intention isn't just driving the power tubes or getting a Blues licks right...

1) There's reverb in the sound, and it is used with/agains the played tones

2) there's room response, maybe mixed in with changing mixer settings

3) the master is clearly playing the sound, even with the obvious key timing, expression/volume pedal, as well as the interaction between the chords and the bass pedal output, which appears to come from a different spot in the stereo image

T.

On FB tonight and an old Buffalo Musician friend posts about the influence the local group Raven had on all musicians at that time in that town. They'd relocated to NY City and settled into Steve Paul's Scene where they soon became the favorite band of young Jimmy Hendrix! This album was cut in 1967. The song "Lets Eat" is what made me want to play organ. Here's some overdrive tone you wont get with a pedal from Greg or anybody else. It is truly glorious, and the playing from Jimmy Calire (one of my greatest influences of all time) is just plain DEEP :cool:

[video:youtube]

Now that is an AWESOME organ sound!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Mate, I would value your thoughts and opinion about the Mojo 61s Drive when Cabinet is Off. Thanks.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived