Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Massive computer monitors

zeronyne

I want to preface this by saying I've tried this in the past with terrible results.

Does anyone use a large (65"+) monitor in their DAW rig, either with or without other computer monitors?

I just have too much stuff on my desk. I run three monitors with Reason, which makes it a pain to place audio monitors correctly, so I'm thinking about mounting a monster on the wall. Are the newest 4K televisions clear and fast enough for 8 hour, eye-burning edit sessions?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll warn you about one thing. With multiple smaller monitors you can keep one close enough to read the text. With a 65" monitor and super high rez, if you put it on the wall you will have problems reading the text. If you put it close enough to read text you are going to have perspective problems. At 32", which is what I use, the problems start. I've connected to a 65" 4HD TV and did not like the perspective at all. It was much better IMHO with multiple monitors angled around me.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've wondered about those really wide, curved monitors. Would one of those replace two side by side monitors without messing with perspective? Normally for me, two are fine, but there are times I'd love stretch either the track view or mixer view of my daw across both and not have the break in the middle. Here's a random (pricey) example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc99-w-38-ips-led-ultrawide-hd-freesync-monitor-black-white/5672800.p?skuId=5672800

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

There is a nice class of 32 monitors that are ~2550x1440 normal aspect ratio ~$300

This size and resolution is the best of both worlds. Its both a lot of screen real estate and the resolution allows fonts to be a nice readable size. It also works with the generation before 4K HDMI .

32" works well for me - we have three computers using that size (one also has the older 19" as a second monitor for a DAW). We have a 39" that is hooked up as a second monitor in one room, but is used almost all of the time for TV, Roku, and DVD.

Have a 55" in the living room that is used both for television and recording/playback of television using Windows 8.1 Media Center Edition. Works well for that purpose, but not so much for general computing.

Far enough to see the whole screen - stuff is unreadable. Close enough to read - only can see a small portion of the screen.

Note that these are 1920x1080 - so 2550x1440, 4K, or 5K might allow larger, although I think the limiting factor is having something that one can really see all of the screen at once from a usable distance.

A pair of 32" would be nice in one way, but the desk is too small, and I'd need to be able to slide my chair to each side to focus on just that part of the screen.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for all the input, gents. It's sincerely appreciated.

I currently have three 27" monitors (one turned vertically for the Reason Rack). That's why my desk, which is actually pretty wide, is so crowded.

I have a 65" in another room. I think I'll just plug my MacBook into it to see if I can stand it. I'll report back.

"For instance" is not proof.

I currently have three 27" monitors (one turned vertically for the Reason Rack). That's why my desk, which is actually pretty wide, is so crowded.

May or may not work with your setup, but I mounted a monitor on a mic stand to get it off the desk. Maybe something like that with boom arms so you can easily move them around as needed. Just a suggestion - may make things worse depending on your work space.

I feel your pain. ......I spent about 3 months going through monitors to find the optimum set up. I juggle a bunch of plates with my studio On any given day I'm either: Using Finale to write charts, writing/arranging/ doing remote sessions in Logic, occasionally scoring to video, or doing Voice overs (also in Logic).

For years I had two cheap 20" dells side by side that I got by fine with. After I switched to Logic I (and got old....) I needed some more real estate. I tried the LG ultra wide 29" as my main monitor. Great for Daw and horizontally centric, but horrible for using Finale or anything else that's vertically oriented.. So then I tried two 24" side by side... way too much screen and clutter.

I do a fair amount of session work around town and noticed tons of the Pro Tools guys doing the giant monitor, and was about to get a single 40 or 50" figured it wouldn't be good for Finale and VO stuff .

Then I saw a Steven Slate video with his control surface monitor and liked the idea of of my plugins/mixer and VO Copy on a lower wide monitor. I was about to plunk down on a HP 27 " as my top (because it looked "mac like") and use the LG wide as my bottom. LG came out with a 32" for $189.00 and I went with that instead. (See enclosed pics) It's a bit much for web browsing, but I use a Mac app called Magnetic that manages all my screen moving around. I have another 32" 720 recycled TV mounted on the wall - (that's not in these pic)s for video when I do scoring, but as others have said 32" is about as big as I would go. Best of luck!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153832494@N03/R3L7E3

album-72157695777787585

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Archived