Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st use of Rhodes/Wurly by Beatles

Jazz+

Can someone say what is the earliest recording by The Beatles to use s Rhodes? (Get Back?) And also the first time they used a Wurly EP 140? Why didnt they use them sooner. I guess The Beatles were not familiar with them until the popularity of those keybords increased in 1968.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From wiki

All four Beatles contributed keyboard parts to their catalogue, supplemented by George Martin, Mal Evans, Chris Thomas, Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston.

Hohner Pianet N and CH models

Steinway Vertegrand upright piano

Baldwin Combo harpsichord

Baldwin Satin Ebony Grand

Bechstein D-280 concert grand piano

Blüthner Grand Piano

Challen Piano

Schiedmayer Celeste

Mannborg Harmonium

Moog synthesizer III

Fender Rhodes Suitcase 68

Clavioline

Hammond RT-3 organ with Leslie Model 122 cabinet

Hammond C-3 organ

Lowrey DSO Heritage Deluxe organ

Mellotron MK II[12]

Vox Continental organ(s?) used on "I'm Down" and others

Unidentified harpsichord(s?) used on "All You Need Is Love", "Fixing a Hole", "Piggies"

Unidentified clavichord used on "For No One"

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

"I Am The Walrus" is to my best recollection the first Wurli the Beatles used. The had a Hohner Pianet on " The Night Before" and " The Word" but a Wurli doesn't appear till 1967 ( post Sgt. Pepper) - as far as I can remember.

That's not definitive... just what I can recall

My guess is they weren't common in England . The first I remember from an English band is the Zombies... " She's Not There", "Tell Her No".... late 1964.

I'm thinking' the Beatles were originally a guitar band. The keys only came into significance on their third or later albums. The musical experimentalists they were prompted the use of keyboard based instruments to further their amazing onslaught on the pop music scene. Much to the joy of musicians that did not have that intuitive skill they had (with much support) followed to a high level as artists took the original and covered them with their own original interpretations.

Much to my own joy. I have worked on my own interpretations of the amazing original "negatives" for most of my life to great enjoyment.

Didnt I AmThe Walrus actually feature the Pianet? If so , did The Beatles ever actually record the Wurly electric piano? It seems from, according to article that was linked above, that Paul was requesting a Wurlitzer electric piano for the first time as they were getting ready to record Let It Be. But they received two Fender Rhodes electric suitcase pianos instead and had Bill Preston play it.

From wiki

All four Beatles contributed keyboard parts to their catalogue, supplemented by George Martin, Mal Evans, Chris Thomas, Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston.

Hohner Pianet N and CH models

Steinway Vertegrand upright piano

Baldwin Combo harpsichord

Baldwin Satin Ebony Grand

Bechstein D-280 concert grand piano

Blüthner Grand Piano

Challen Piano

Schiedmayer Celeste

Mannborg Harmonium

Moog synthesizer III

Fender Rhodes Suitcase 68

Clavioline

Hammond RT-3 organ with Leslie Model 122 cabinet

Hammond C-3 organ

Lowrey DSO Heritage Deluxe organ

Mellotron MK II[12]

Vox Continental organ(s?) used on "I'm Down" and others

Unidentified harpsichord(s?) used on "All You Need Is Love", "Fixing a Hole", "Piggies"

Unidentified clavichord used on "For No One"

Great list, looks like the gear inventory of some of the more accomplished KC folks!

By the way, the Blüthner Grand Piano - was that owned by the lady in Young Frankenstein?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

The inclusion of Mal Evans on that list of Beatles piano players is pretty funny.

He helped play that massive E chord at the end of "A Day in the Life." I think he touched the organ on "You Won't See Me." That was the beginning and end of his piano contribution.

However, he did "play" that vocal count-down in the middle of A Day in the Life, and in some ways that's the part of that song that enduringly haunts. Pretty sure Bowie got the idea for the countdown in Space Odyssey from that sound, though that's reckless conjecture. Conrecklure.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

When did John Lennon start recording or performing using a Wurlitzer electric piano after he left The Beatles?

Also, same question for Paul McCartney?

John Lennon 1972 Jerry Lewis telethon show. Wurlitzer 200 ?

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/WFUdY1Uq6lU

Red top Wurlitzer behind George Harrison in John Lennon s Home studio in 1971

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/y33PVE1DI-A

There were quite a few Pianets in the UK at the time as Hohner is a German company. It took longer and cost more to get a Rhodes or Wurly from across the pond. Same reason that so many UK bands used Farfisa and Vox organs from Italy instead of Hammonds.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

I think I read somewhere that when they ordered their Rhodes pianos (John and Paul both got one), they were expecting/thinking Wurlies. Remember, except for George, they weren't really gear heads.

When the one came in to the studio, they were disappointed - expecting the Wurlie of course - and didn't really use it. Billy Preston did to excellent effect, but I don't think while they were together either John or Paul used the Rhodes....

One of the first Wurlies in England was owned by Alan Price in 1964 when he was in The Animals. He had the instrument for 10 days when it was stolen off a stage. Part of the reason he left The Animals was due to the bands' refusal to chip in on replacing the Piano. The Animals were quite possibly the first major band to have a Fender Rhodes. Price's successor Dave Rowberry can be seen playing a silver top in 1965 on The Ed Sullivan Show.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

A friend of mine told me yesterday that when he spoke to Yoko she said John played Wurlitzer on the white album. Has anybody ever heard Wurlitzer on the white album?

A friend of mine told me yesterday that when he spoke to Yoko she said John played Wurlitzer on the white album. Has anybody ever heard Wurlitzer on the white album?

Yoko's getting up there, and they were both beyond zonked through this period, so I would not take her as an entirely credible witness on this. But my reference book is on campus. I'll grab it and check next time I'm there.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

The piano that comes in for the break and the ending of Let It Be sure sounds like a Wurly to me.
Yamaha CP4, MainStage 3 on MacBook Pro, Hammond A102 w/ Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes Stage Mark I, Wurlitzer 200a, Roland Juno 60, Nektar T6.

Archived