Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK1

Poika952

Cannot seem to find out from Hammond even if a Hammond SK1 can be used as a midi controller with MainStage 3 ? would I have to install drivers if it would work ? there is the 5 pin in/out midi plugs on the back I have a 2017 MacBook pro - ANYONE know if it will work - ?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome. May I recommend that you edit your thread title to indicate what you are asking? There are many, many threads about the SK1 here, and you'd be far more likely to get the answer you need by letting folks know why they should open your post.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Cannot seem to find out from Hammond even if a Hammond SK1 can be used as a midi controller with MainStage 3 ? would I have to install drivers if it would work ? there is the 5 pin in/out midi plugs on the back I have a 2017 MacBook pro - ANYONE know if it will work - ?

Yes it has standard 5 pin MIDI in/out. Like all such boards, there is no problem using it as a controller, and it does not require a custom driver. Though depending on what you want to do, you may find controller functionality to be somewhat limited, in that there are no pitch or mod wheels, no aftertouch, and limited ability to send CC messages from its other controls. But just to play, sure.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

YEAH well I want to know if it will work as a midi controller with my Mac and MAINSTAGE 3 - I just signed up on here a few min. ago and looked at some SK1 topics but did not see my question on there and was not sure where to put my question

hmm ok yeah i tried to plug it in to my Mac with a in /out 5 pin plug with an interface and it did not seem to work so thought maybe I needed to install some drivers first - yeah I just happen to have access to an SK1 and that is why I wanted to see if it will work

YEAH well I want to know if it will work as a midi controller with my Mac and MAINSTAGE 3 - I just signed up on here a few min. ago and looked at some SK1 topics but did not see my question on there and was not sure where to put my question

MathOfInsects was simply suggesting than you might get more/better responses by using a more specific subject line. So instead of using the subject "Hammond SK1" you could consider editing it to say, for example, "Hammond SK1 as MIDI controller?"

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would assume you could use the SK1 as a midi controller in the most basic sense (the keyboard) if you used a USB-to-midi cable (like an iConnectivity mio or Roland UM-ONE mk2), or alternatively went through an audio interface with midi ports (keyboard > midi > audio interface > USB > Macbook).

I don't think you can use the USB connection on the SK1 since these types of connections tend to be USB 2.0 B coming from the keyboard, whereas the SK1's is a USB 2.0 A connection.

The real icing on the cake (and what I interpret the ultimate question to be) is if you can map/assign the drawbars to controls in MainStage? Looking at pg. 145 of the SK1 manual, I'd say the answer is yes. The Drawbar Registers appear to send a specific range of only 9 midi CC messages depending on if you're using lower/upper, which makes sense... 8 drawbar values + 1 for off or 'all the way in'. However, I don't know that 9 gives you much granularity for control.

I'd assume you'd be best served to use your nanoKontrol2, which gives you the full range of 128, but this depends on what feature/effect you're wanting to control via midi.

I can try and set this up at home and see what it does, as I have an SK1, nanoKontrol2, audio interface, the iConnectivity cable and MainStage.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

yeah I have an i connectivity mio going from the Sk1 Into My MacBook Pro via usb to thunderbolt adapter -/- my yamaha s90 xs is the main keyboard and the hammond on top and they both go into my MacBook then interface and then into the sound system

I may not have properly understood your last statement, but:

Why a "usb to thunderbolt adapter?" the iconnectivity mio should connect to MIDI out 5-pin on the SK1 and the other end plug into a USB socket on the Macbook Pro.

I own both SK1 and MBP, and use a Focusrite 18i8 audio/MIDI adapter that connects by USB. Works fine both on the MBP and a PC. The MIO should work - at least according to their web site, without any added driver, although I've never actually used one.

As a comment, the USB connector on the SK1 is only for a Flash Drive to load and store settings and sounds.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Not sure that I understand the Thunderbolt adapter portion there either...

Anyway, I connected the SK1 midi ports to the MacBook Pro via my iConnectivity cable (USB 2.0 A). I used the Tonewheel Organ concert template in MainStage, assigned the keyboard in Layout mode and it worked fine.

Moody's right, the iConnectivity doesn't require any drivers, and the SK1's USB isn't for midi communications as I alluded to earlier.

I do stand corrected on what I said about the drawbars. They actually transmit 0-127. Each drawbar has its own midi channel number (duh, the title of the chart!) depending on whether your Drawbar Select is Upper, Lower or Pedal.

12-20 (Upper)

21-29 (Lower)

33, 35 (Pedal)

Once your midi connection is established, you can see this info in the midi monitor under the concert file name (top middle of the window) in MainStage. I assume there's a way to use the Smart Controls in the template and map each drawbar... again, depends on how much control you're trying to set up or what your end-goal is?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Archived