Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing My PC361

J Graul

My 10-year old PC361 is starting to show signs of age. Last year I had lock-up problems. Turns out it just needed a good cleaning on the inside. Now some of the top row controller buttons aren't working when pushed, notably the fast/slow rotary button. That's easy enough to bypass by assigning a pedal to that function. But I'm beginning to think it's the beginning of more buttons not functioning.

Anyway I think it's time to start looking for a replacement. It's my top keyboard that complements my Yamaha CP4. It's my all-purpose axe. My dilemma is whether to look at a replacement all-purpose board or midi controller with laptop based system. Either way it would be purchasing all new stuff.

Just looking for thoughts on what you would do.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if there was a Kurzweil Forte 61 key, it would be a no brainer IMO, but sadly, not yet. What is your budget? A compliment top board to a CP4 should be able to handle Hammond clone responsibility, synth duty, and brass/string/orchestral type just to get most/all bases covered right? I would assume the CP4 is covering the AP and EPs. Maybe a Kronos 2 61 key?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

in the middle of replacing my PC1x with the SP6 .. so far so good, not sure if an option for you ?

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Depends on how you like to work.

Kurz PC3-K6 or Kronos 2-61.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm more looking for a direction (software vs hardware sounds) rather than figuring out which keyboard. If I go hardware I'll look at the Forte 7, PCxK, PCxA, Kronos, etc. I'd even venture to look at some less expensive options for sure. If I go the software route I'd look at a Mac with Mainstage, then figure out which controller.

So yeah, the PC361 covers everything organ, synth, strings, horns, etc, while the CP4 is mostly AP, EP, and some clavs.

Or just get the buttons fixed.... I'm not hearing keyboard failure (not powering up, shuts down/reboots in the middle of songs). I'd spend a few bucks to get the troubling button replaced. You might get 5 more years out of the keyboard and by then the next golden replacement might be available...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If I personally went software I would still be using my Kronos ... because the quality controller market with the exception of the Physis is dead. I think the Novation SL MK2 - 61 feels good but only 8 sliders available for drawbar emulation.

Some of the best available controllers available are Kronos and Kurzweil workstations.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

FA-07 or VR-730 are nice pair for CP4.

Wish theyd do a synth action Forte 61 or 73/76.

The Kurz Artis7 would be good too, but I dont know if you want something significantly different from the PC361.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm more looking for a direction (software vs hardware sounds) rather than figuring out which keyboard.

you will get as many opinions as replies on this. There is no correct answer, just 2 different paths to follow, and both get to the same destination. See my sig. Best to you.

:nopity:

Archived