Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Forensic Musicology Is Altering Pop's Future

ElmerJFudd

Artists and experts discuss the science behind the recently upheld landmark copyright verdict, and why the business of pop may never be the same.

rs-forensic-musicology-v3-4a3dbf10-7d54-4430-b1b9-ee443228baa0.jpg

When a jury decided in March of 2015 that Robin Thicke, Pharrell William and Clifford "T.I." Harris were guilty of copyright infringement in lifting elements of their song "Blurred Lines" from the Marvin Gaye classic "Got to Give It Up," the estate of Marvin Gaye grew several million dollars richer. But according to some industry insiders, the "Blurred Lines" verdict which was upheld by an appeals court in March might mean an even bigger windfall for those working in the little-known field of forensic musicology.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/music-copyright-after-blurred-lines-experts-speak-out-w518206

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go out on a limb and say that in the same way the beloved DX7 did not put musicians out of work nor will the "Blurred Lines" verdict open the floodgates of music copyright litigation.

Hundreds of original songs have been written without someone being sued. I believe songwriters and composers are capable of writing many more without having to show up in court. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The licensing laws will have to adapt. If inspired by, and enough taken from source - it should be easy to get permission and a pay scale set or negotiated. Just thinking out loud.

I think you meant to say, 'Just Let's Get It On mixed with Crazy Love.'

:poke:

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived