Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Vortex Wireless 2: A winner

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this thread with interest.

I just pulled the trigger on a Vortex today.

I've been using an AX Synth with a Midibeam but it's just not reliable enough for me sadly.

It's a shame as I found the extra octave on the AX helped me out a lot with keyboard splits.

Hopefully I can master it before my next gig !

• 1 year later...

I'm considering this as a stop-gap that doesn't cost a lot and would still serve a purpose vs. being redundant if and when I become reunited with my gear.

As most of you know, COVID forced me to "move" 3100 miles east after six months of unemployment, and I brought nothing but some clothes and some kitchen stuff plus the computer.

Guitar Center had Yamaha's new keytar on sale this week, which got me looking into them again, and I concluded that the Alesis Vortex has the best sweet spot of features and price.

Unlike the Yamaha models, it has full-sized keys with velocity sensitivity and aftertouch, and nice drum pad triggers, and overall just seems a better deal at $350 than Roland's model.

I am hoping this one will go on sale during Guitar Center's holiday sales, given that their first round of sales today included the Yamaha models.

I'd hate to spend on a regular keyboard in case I move back to California real soon or end up having my stuff moved here within the year. I couldn't bring much in my tiny subcompact.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The one out now is the vortex 2 v2. The first v2 has 3 rotary knobs. The current model has 8 I think sliders. I have the knobs version I use occasionally. The keys are kind of springy and e very so often the wireless buffers out if you are really wailing your most extreme fastest licks. So I usually you a long midi cable.

FunMachine.

It's on sale now, but I decided against it due to only being three octaves, which is completely useless to me for any of my orchestral composing work.

I'll take another look at the Roland offering, but otherwise may have to buy a slim-profile regular MIDI keyboard while I am 3100 miles away from my gear.

UPDATE: I've decided against a keytar, unless it ends up being beneficial in the goth band I'm about to audition for in Raleigh.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

If you do end up with the keytar, I really like the AX-Edge (except for it being bigger than it needs to be). Four octaves with aftertouch, nice (and expandable) sound set (much of what's in the new Fantom), good definable patch change buttons (which can include external MIDI zones with program changes)... I've thought it could make for a nice general lightweight 2nd-tier board that doubles for occasional keytar use. It could really benefit from a better editor, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)