Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano Donation

NoLights

Back when I was 9 (1960) I started taking piano lessons. My mother, who also played, decided to ditch the old upright and get a fancy schmancy Baldwin M 5' 2" baby grand. When the childhood home was sold in 1980, I inherited the piano, and it has been with me since -- through four major moves. The next move is coming up -- and I am ready to part with piano, childhood memories and all.

I could sell it -- cash is nice. But since this has some sentimental value, I'd rather donate it to some worthy organization - and maybe it could end up in the hands of a budding musician who wouldn't otherwise have any way to own a decent piano. I'd just take a tax deduction. There are lots of charities to choose from. I wonder if anyone has had experience with this kind of donation.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a great place to list your piano...

You can stipulate if its free or if youre accepting money.

Also that new owner is required to handle pickup.

https://pianoadoption.com/index.php

If youd like a write off on your taxes, you may have it appraised or if you still have the receipt from when you bought it. And ask if a church or school wants to provide you a receipt for tax purposes.

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

Good ideas -- I like piano adoption.com since it has listings for individual states. I just had it tuned (and it sounds great -- giving me second thoughts -- I need to focus: downsizing!)... and he is also an accredited appraiser. I'll get his official appraisal later.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s