Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Merle Haggard on hemp, etc.

From web page .

On 'Okie From Muscogee'...

"If I was to do it over again, it would take a lot more thought. I thought it was funny. The song was humorous. It was like the epitome of the ignorance on certain subjects. But I'll be damned if people like Wallace and Nixon didn't take it for the truth. It makes me wonder what kind of politicians we've got in [Washington] now. Do they have the same mentality as they did during the days of 'Okie From Muskogee'?"

In a 1974 interview, Haggard revealed that Muskogee was the only place where he didn't smoke marijuana. These days, his smoking habits are considerably different. "I had to quit smoking marijuana 'cause they was gonna lock me away, and I quit smoking cigarettes in 1991," he says. "Drinking was never a problem, but I'm a smoke freak. I smoked RJ Reynolds Camel shorts for 50 years. Now I smoke hemp. There's no THC in it, and they can't lock you up for it. It's an alternative

smoke to tobacco or marijuana, either one."

So, tell me, does hemp make you high? Where do you buy it? They make rope from it, that's about all I know. Wasn't there a movement to get hemp recognized as a wonder or nature for all the stuff you could do with it? Maybe even a fuel source. I forget.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The country band I was In opened for Merle once back in '85 or '86. The Hag was WASTED when he hit the stage. :freak:

His keyboardist said after the show that he was doing songs that night that they hadn't done in years. :eek:

Sorry to go OT. :)

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

So, tell me, does hemp make you high?

Hemp doesn't get you high, but it makes for good paper products, clothing, and rope. We could save alot of old growth forests and pay off the entire California debt with hemp.

Ahhnold, you listening?

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Originally posted by KHAN:

The country band I was in opened for Merle once back in '85 or '86. The Hag was WASTED when he hit the stage. :freak:

His keyboardist said after the show that he was doing songs that night that they hadn't done in years. :eek:

Sorry to go OT. :)

I read something just last week. Oh yeah, it was in the book written by Ralph Emery, the Nashville DJ and TV host. He had a chapter on Merle and in there said that he would do that to his band but it was even worse than that. It would be songs they had NEVER done before.

Emery and Hag are friends but he portrayed Merle as less than honorable with some egotistical less than desirable traits. Some wonderful traits, as well but some that surprised me.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

From web page .

On 'Okie From Muscogee'...

"If I was to do it over again, it would take a lot more thought. I thought it was funny. The song was humorous. It was like the epitome of the ignorance on certain subjects...

I always thought the song was motivated more by potetial radio success than sincere belief...but Merle as Randy Newman? :eek:

Originally posted by Raymar:

So, tell me, does hemp make you high?

Hemp doesn't get you high, but it makes for good paper products, clothing, and rope. We could save alot of old growth forests and pay off the entire California debt with hemp.

Steve

True. There is no psychotropically active component in hemp, especially when grown for industrial uses. Prior to 1937, there were thousands of products on the market made either from hemp or cannabis.

The U.S. government's own investigations show that hemp grown for paper produces a 4X increase in output compared to wood, and the paper can be produced without many of the harmful chemical processes used for paper from wood pulp. Plus, many of the residual leavings from industrial hemp production have other beneficial uses, like animal feed and fertilizer.

Almost any material made from petroleum products could be made from hemp.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived