Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iPad 9.7" with A10 Fusion and Apple Pencil Support

ElmerJFudd

32gb model $329

128gb model $429

The pencil is $99 and used to only work on the iPad Pro.

No info yet on RAM, but developers find ways to work with whatever's in the hardware.

A10 Fusion presumably robust enough to run Korg Module and the like well.

Having the pencil for apps like forScore etc. is great at this price point.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little annoyed. I was holding on to my iPad 4 because I wanted an iPad Pro with the stylus. It conked out on me late last year, and I bought a regular iPad to hold me over, couldn't justify the added expense of the Pro at the time.

Of course, now I can get a stylus-ready iPad for exactly the same price as my 2017 iPad. This stuff happens to me a lot.

I'm happily on the iPad bandwagon as part of my gig rig, when my only keyboard is my Viscount Legend Live. My "extra sounds" are Ravenscroft iOS, Neo Soul Keys Studio, Bismark Bs-16 sample player, Poison, Syntronik and the new Moog Minimoog D app.

If I was just playing it from a portable controller, I'd be fine using it for rehearsals and such, despite some imperfections.

It's come a long way. It's not for everybody and every situation, but I'm pleased with what it is for my light use over carrying around an Integra, external module, laptop, etc.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Yamaha YC88, Nord Stage 3C, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend Live, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2, Arturia V Collection 8, Komplete 13 Ultimate

When I was playing around with the Model D app a couple of days ago on my old iPad Mini 2, the controls were hard to read and the interface was hard to read use. I think I'm going to stick with my plan to get the large iPad Pro and use it for charts as well as sound creation apps.

I wish app designers would get rid of their nostalgia when designing their apps. Trying to turn "knobs" on a small touch screen is a pain. Maybe something like a pop-up slider would be easier to manipulate.

When I was playing around with the Model D app a couple of days ago on my old iPad Mini 2, the controls were hard to read and the interface was hard to read. I think I'm going to stick with my plan to get the large iPad Pro and use it for charts as well as sound creation apps.

Good point. I just have this thing about clunky.

I wish app designers would get rid of their nostalgia when designing their apps. Trying to turn "knobs" on a small touch screen is a pain. Maybe something like a pop-up slider would be easier to manipulate.

+1 (because I have this thing about clunky)

victoria bc

The A10 is also used in the iPhone 7 models. The Pro iPads have the A10X that has a 2.38 Ghz Clock and 6 cores. So, the Korg Module behavior on the iPhone 7 would be a good indicator of app behavior. The iPad Pro might indicate if the code uses extra cores well.

The A10 is also used in the iPhone 7 models. The Pro iPads have the A10X that has a 2.38 Ghz Clock and 6 cores. So, the Korg Module behavior on the iPhone 7 would be a good indicator of app behavior. The iPad Pro might indicate if the code uses extra cores well.

:like:

Pro/Con on the new iPad vs current iPad Pro.

https://www.cultofmac.com/538053/ipad-vs-ipad-pro-which-is-right-for-you/

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

I got the original big iPad pro when it came out, along with the pencil. I never use the pencil. The main reason is Apple's horrible support for back up media. I hate jumping through hoops to save any work I create on the iPad, so I end up using a notebook with a touchscreen instead.

I do like the big screen. People are always commenting on it and I tell them "The older you get, the bigger the screen you need."

This post edited for speling.

The main reason is Apple's horrible support for back up media. I hate jumping through hoops to save any work I create on the iPad, so I end up using a notebook with a touchscreen instead.

I'm not an iOS fan (though it's better than Android)... but for the kind of thing you're talking about, can't you auto-backup to the cloud? I haven't really looked into it myself, but while I'm not big on cloud stuff, I have to say I think it really makes sense for a mobile device.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I got the original big iPad pro when it came out, along with the pencil. I never use the pencil. The main reason is Apple's horrible support for back up media. I hate jumping through hoops to save any work I create on the iPad, so I end up using a notebook with a touchscreen instead.

I write all my sheets on the iPad Pro, writing on a lined-sheet PDF template that's in my iCloud Drive, and saving them either in iCloud Drive or directly into my DropBox sheet music archive, all from the iOS 11 Files app.

iPad backups are done automatically to the cloud, but the DropBox stuff syncs over to my regular work machine and is backed up there onto several local media (as is the iCloud Drive).

I've dropped paper entirely, and couldn't be happier.

The DropBox app integrates seamlessly with the Files app on iOS.

I'm not sure I understand your question. DropBox, even the free version, syncs across several devices that's the whole idea.

So whatever I add to Dropbox on the iPad automatically gets uploaded to the DropBox servers and, from there, synced by Dropbox to my laptop, and is backed up by my regular backup routines (via macOS' built-in Time Machine) automatically as soon as it shows up.

This can be a mess when keeping song lists, music or app data in a shared "band repository".

Strong management :-> !

Jokes apart, some good naming conventions, private directories and similar habits can help avoiding this kind of problems.

Maurizio

Nord Electro 5HP, OB-6, Modx 7, Rameau upright.

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/

Dropbox has done some very unethical things, using hacks to increase their privileges and enabling root access to system features without asking the user for permission to do this:

http://applehelpwriter.com/2016/07/28/revealing-dropboxs-dirty-little-security-hack/

Dropbox's answers to this situation were far less than satisfactory, in my mind, and I deleted Dropbox from all the computers in my house. In my opinion, a company that would take these liberties, even without obvious nefarious intent, shows a disregard for the user that is a deep-seated part of the company culture.

Simply put, I don't trust them, and never will.

I use Box instead of Dropbox. Got in when they offered a free 50GB account, lucky!

Its been good for me, and behaves predictably. They normally only have paid services, but once in a while you can get in free when they have a promotion or something.

• 9 months later...

I'm intrigued, for sure. After a few gigs and rehearsals trying to run the software side of my rig off of my iPad Mini, I gave up because patch management was more trouble mid-gig than bringing a laptop during setup and teardown. It's mostly ROLI's fault for its iOS and desktop apps being so incompatible, but there's a lot of hoop-jumping and app-buying involved in making music apps play nice together, and things would still get unstable. I just prefer a smaller profile and touchscreen interface, so a more robust iPad that doesn't cost nearly as much as a MacBook is excellent news.

I love that Model D app, by the way. To the point where I'm alternating using my iPhone/iPad as an external audio/MIDI device with my MacBook and Mainstage for my analog synth patches, in addition to the Logic instruments and Equator. But it does resonate with the above point; as pretty as it looks, the knobs and sliders are challenging to operate on a small scale, further necessitating some kind of setlist/MIDI routing app.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Im ready to switch to the Pro.

My Physis K4 was designed to work with computer interfacing, inputs and outputs.

Perfect for editors like the FS1r, Code 8, etc.

and its excessive ports means iPad audio apps to audio interface via USB to TosLink or XLR AES/EBU.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I'm intrigued, for sure. After a few gigs and rehearsals trying to run the software side of my rig off of my iPad Mini, I gave up because patch management was more trouble mid-gig than bringing a laptop during setup and teardown. It's mostly ROLI's fault for its iOS and desktop apps being so incompatible, but there's a lot of hoop-jumping and app-buying involved in making music apps play nice together, and things would still get unstable. I just prefer a smaller profile and touchscreen interface, so a more robust iPad that doesn't cost nearly as much as a MacBook is excellent news.

I love that Model D app, by the way. To the point where I'm alternating using my iPhone/iPad as an external audio/MIDI device with my MacBook and Mainstage for my analog synth patches, in addition to the Logic instruments and Equator. But it does resonate with the above point; as pretty as it looks, the knobs and sliders are challenging to operate on a small scale, further necessitating some kind of setlist/MIDI routing app.

Have you been using Camelot iOS?

victoria bc