Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Novation SL MkII or Arturia KeyLab on Craigslist

jeffincltnc

Any strong opinions on which of these is a better feeling 49 controller? I really like the Fatar TP/9S action with aftertouch.

Both of these are available in my local market on Craigslist for good deals, great condition. I think $180 for the Novation and $200-250 for the Arturia. Its not KeyLab Essentials, its the KeyLab 49.

Any opinions favorable or unfavorable?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note you can get a NEW keylab 49 for $250. That's not a great used price.

I had an slmkii 61 for a short while, and a lab49 (predecessor of the KeyLab) for a long while.

I think the SLMkII keyboard feels better than the Arturia. Arturia action is SUUUUUPER light and the keys can feel a bit wobbly. Fine for synths, but the Novation is a better all-arounder.

There wasn't much else that I preferred about the Novation, though. Arturia had better feeling wheels, knobs, sliders, and pads, and felt like a more robust build. The SlMkii I had had a terrible joystick (felt like I'd break it), the touchpad was pointless, and the drum pads utterly useless for any kind of sensitive playing, and it's definitely got the "all plastic" feel. Also note: if drawbar control matters, Novation has 8 sliders compared to Arturia's 9.

With a used board, I'd check response of EVERY hardware control, to ensure smooth response. These aren't expensive keyboards, and components crap out easily.

I make software noises.

No, that's not correct. They don't make the KeyLab anymore.

They have gone to KeyLab "Essentials" which is a cheaper product, cheapert build, no aftertouch and other differences.

Thank you for the info otherwise, but KeyLab and KeyLab Essentials are different products, they have just abandoned the premium features.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the feedback otherwise, as I don't love the joystick on the Novation and prefer pitch/mod wheels.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

for 180 I'd jump on that Novation. It is one of the best feeling synth action boards out there IMO.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

No, that's not correct. They don't make the KeyLab anymore.

Ah my bad. I saw it listed on a certain web store and didn't see that it's B-stock.

Shame, as it had a lot of other things going for it.

I make software noises.

for 180 I'd jump on that Novation. It is one of the best feeling synth action boards out there IMO.

I gotta second this. I had a Novation NovaII VA Synth that had the same action and it was very nice. The Arturia Keylab I tried at GC last year and the keys were kinda mushy and wiggly feeling.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Archived