Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Sod the Audience Set-List

A segway from the "danceable pop tunes thread" that I thought might deserve a thread of it's own to avoid OT. What would be your set-list at an event if you didn't have to pay any consideration for whoever was paying you or the audience, your own ability at that song etc at that event (weddings, christenings etc). Would you just play your own stuff? Would you play some obscure stuff from a genre only you care about? Would you just play you're favourite songs? (I've disregarded whether I can actually play the song at present, although your free to tighten the belt on that). Some of these are there simply to throw the audience. This would probably change depending on mood but 80% of them are keepers.

Personally think I'd just go the favourite songs route with a few random songs (if I played to anyone but my dog in the first place):

Live It Up - Mental As Anything

Don't Stop Believing - Journey

Take Me Home Country Roads - John Denver

All My Best Friends Are Metalheads - Less Than Jake

Reel Big Fish - Sell Out

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

Key to the Highway

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Year 3000 - Busted

Mary Had a Little Lamb

I've Been Working on the Railroad

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day

My Old Man's a Dustman - Lonnie Donegan

Crazy Frog - Axel F

Crashed the Wedding - Busted

Foo Fighters - These Days

Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly

Run for Home - Lindisfarne

One Day Like This A Year - Elbow

Biffy Clyro - Bubbles

America - Razorlight

Coming Home Newcastle - Ronnie Lambert

Closing Time - Semisonic

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you accepting/cashing a check for this hypothetical gig? If you are, then sorry to say, but sod this list.....

Even if I was attempt to accept a cash for it, the fact it would inevitably be refunded half way through would make that pointless. It's more about what you'd play if all the pressure of needing to earn, needing to please people etc was suddenly lifted and you could do what the heck you want.

There are a few songs on there that on regular setlists in bands I play with. I don't understand the term "sod" the audience. Can you explain a bit more? From your initial post it would seem you mean songs I just want to play regardless of anything, but then there seems to still be an element of audience enjoyment which is a different thing. If you can clarify, I have some thoughts.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

There are a few songs on there that on regular setlists in bands I play with. I don't understand the term "sod" the audience. Can you explain a bit more? From your initial post it would seem you mean songs I just want to play regardless of anything, but then there seems to still be an element of audience enjoyment which is a different thing. If you can clarify, I have some thoughts.

This is what I mean, some of mine are on your set-lists because I have a rather mainstream taste in music. (I'm not the type to start playing rather avant garde stuff with such a license as I'm not into, if you are then I can imagine this game would be more fun). That said if you wanted to include a crowd pleaser for your own selfish enjoyment of a good crowd reaction, that's within the rules.

I know some markets have no shortage of this, and even in St. Louis there are no shortage of tribute bands as well as some classic rock bands who do this.....but if I could do a whole night of Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey, and Supertramp, and Boston, that would be cool.

My slightly more eclectic mix would be Triumph, Shooting Star, Saga, Jefferson Starship, Manfred Mann, ELO, and others I'm not thinking of right now.

I would enjoy a multi-keyboard player and electric drum band doing New Order, Depeche Mode, Information Society, Devo, Sparks, Human League, Duran Duran, Naked Eyes, Soft Cell, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived